Why become a member? ×

A bit sketchy

NikNik

Whilst not bass-related, I spotted this ebay auction this morning for a Chinese-made Les Paul. The price states £190.74.....but the default option for this auction appears further down and states that price is for the case only!  If, in your excitement,  you hit the BIN, imagine your surprise three weeks later on receiving an empty case!

Caveat Emptor, and all that, of course. I put the link into another browser to see if anything changed but case is the default option. Description says nothing about drawing buyers' attention to the options. Shonky movers.

Les Paul Auction

Edited by NikNik

2 hours ago, NikNik said:

Whilst not bass-related, I spotted this ebay auction this morning for a Chinese-made Les Paul. The price states £190.74.....but the default option for this auction appears further down and states that price is for the case only!  If, in your excitement,  you hit the BIN, imagine your surprise three weeks later on receiving an empty case!

Caveat Emptor, and all that, of course. I put the link into another browser to see if anything changed but case is the default option. Description says nothing about drawing buyers' attention to the options. Shonky movers.

Les Paul Auction

It’s an eBay thing. Eg You list a guitar with a case and a strap. You price each thing individually and the listing will show the cheapest item. Until you click on the drop down box and realise £3.99 was the strap? 

I think it’s a variation on ‘bait and switch’

24 minutes ago, mentalextra said:

It’s an eBay thing. Eg You list a guitar with a case and a strap. You price each thing individually and the listing will show the cheapest item. Until you click on the drop down box and realise £3.99 was the strap? 

I think it’s a variation on ‘bait and switch’

Is this a new thing? I don't recall seeing this before.

3 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Is this a new thing? I don't recall seeing this before.

No I don’t think so. It’s always there, but selling multiple items from one listing requires choices, for example, if you are selling envelopes you would offer different sizes fair enough? But some people exploit this by listing a few items knowing that the cheapest will be the price  shown in the listing. Bit naughty really and somewhat annoying when you are researching prices