Why become a member? ×

The headless picture pages...

AngelDeVille

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Pretty, and I like the Kubicki-like drop D section! Is there a similar switch to lock the lowest string in E? Looks like you can raise a piece of nut behind a fret? Pretty cool! 

Yup. It's basically a hook on a spring. Clamps the string for an E, unclamp for open D.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up a well-used Hohner B2A last Saturday, mostly out of curiosity but I happen to like it a lot. Ergonomics are weird, without anything like a body to rest your lower arm on and with the upper strap button behind the 21st/22nd fret, moving the far end of the neck really far away from your body. But it's a really fun bass to play, and was surprised how good it sounds with the preamp engaged. The passive tone is dull and weak though. 

$_86.jpeg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

But it's a really fun bass to play, and was surprised how good it sounds with the preamp engaged. The passive tone is dull and weak though. 

The passive ones sound really good and have such a high output. I was asked if mine was active several times.

I got my Hohner B2A V new in around 2000. It plays so well, has an enormous voice and I used it as my main bass for a good while. I dug it out recently and gave it its first string change in 20 years. But disappointingly I find it hard work now - I'm getting on a bit and the low frets are a long stretch away. It makes my arm and neck ache. I put a capo on at the second fret which helps, though it's not ideal. But I love the sound it makes and it's still the easiest playing bass I've ever had.

20180627_223246.jpg

20200501_100203.jpg

20200501_100235.jpg

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, itu said:

Oh dear, even a Atlansia Solitaire. How was it @BigRedX?

I really liked it - it sounded great and was surprising easy to play given that the neck is just a square cross-section. However there are a limited number of songs that are practical to play on a one-string fretless bass, and I've been ruthless in clearing out instruments that I don't use so it's gone. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2020 at 09:43, Tom Jung said:

My Marmite 😎

Quantum1-XL.jpg

I used one of those as my main bass for a few years, in preference to my 1980 Rick 4001 and my very early ‘70s P Bass. It was great, I loved it. Sold it for about £100 in - IIRC - the very early ‘90s. 
EDIT - I actually sold the P to help pay for it, now I remember. But I liked the Quantum way more. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 02:36, Lunatique said:

I currently have two headless basses (NS Design Radius WAV and Ibanez EHB1505), with one more back-ordered and will arrive in June (it's an Ibanez EHB1000).

20200321_220420.thumb.jpg.1085c76150bc505c72a00e2bbee13f4b.jpg

20200321_220114.thumb.jpg.31d9bfd5ca00fd1257e427c544b68a83.jpg

20200104_121430--.thumb.jpg.0ac9e27c85028539719ca212ebc9f3b9.jpg

Hello, I really like The NS. How does it sound in a mix? I saw some videos with it and the sound was so perfect and polished... Sometimes this hi-tech instruments have tendency to be a little lost in the mix. This one Is gorgeous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom Jung said:

Hello, I really like The NS. How does it sound in a mix? I saw some videos with it and the sound was so perfect and polished... Sometimes this hi-tech instruments have tendency to be a little lost in the mix. This one Is gorgeous.

The WAV Radius's EMG pickup has VERY clear and clean tone, and doesn't sound like conventional basses. The piezo has an acoustic-like tone and very bright, but with lots of bottom end too. I wouldn't use it for conventional/traditional stuff. To me it's a more experimental instrument I'd use for unique applications.

20 hours ago, Lunatique said:

The WAV Radius's EMG pickup has VERY clear and clean tone, and doesn't sound like conventional basses. The piezo has an acoustic-like tone and very bright, but with lots of bottom end too. I wouldn't use it for conventional/traditional stuff. To me it's a more experimental instrument I'd use for unique applications.

All the instruments I ever player that were designer by Ned Steinberger were just pure pleasure to play, super comfortable. I found the sound very interesting. Almost synth like. But when I saw it once being played in the band, I didn't hear the bass at all.

I would like to buy a fretless one and play on it classical cello stuff. But I have to practice for a few years to be able to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those that have gone before:

Another Westone Quantum

image.thumb.png.b9472cbf297e39e39d0cfbb6977365b2.png

5-string Hohner Jack:

image.png.e9d79e986fe190954f4624548bd9a371.png

Hohner B2V (doesn't sound as good as the B2AV):

image.thumb.png.bd331f9454efc14e6db40e1e75b354c4.png

Status S2:

image.thumb.png.a004dfae18c100a56b23ee95e0cdf672.png

The current ones are a walnut B2AV (same as the one up there, but a little tattier on the corners at the tuner end), and a brace of Seis:

Fretless Original 5-string:

image.png.f965f80f0f9a5c45d3a12bcf5a426b48.png

5-string Flamboyant:

image.png.e5cd9eaf5a404d08de7e703d3b7f425c.png

I do have headed basses too, but I like the ergonomics of the headless, plus they're lighter than the equivalent headed.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 19:56, TheGreek said:

Custom build 32" - beautifully coloured and grained American Cherry body, Marcus Miller Fender pre-amp and Seymour Duncan pups. Amazing tone....doesn't get used as much as it should...mainly because that headless bridge gives the opposite of neck dive - automatically sits at a 2 o'clock angle on a strap.

Rather late replying to this (only just happened across this thread) - most symmetrical-bodied headlesses I've had or met have had two strap pegs at the tuner end, so you can stand it on the floor without the body touching the ground. It looks like yours just has one. If you put another strap peg on the other side of the bridge, you could try using that as a strap peg (IYSWIM) and it would change the balance. Whether it would help or not is a different question.