Why become a member? ×

The settling in song

Newfoundfreedom

My blues/rock trio start with 'Confidence Man', a nice up-tempo song with some nice guitar solo opportunities.  Much like the other 110 minutes.

Bon Jovi tribute used to start with 'Lay Your Hands On Me' with some nice backing tracks/back projections to accompany it but more recently at more modest venues 'Raise Your Hands', which is an absolute belter.

My recent defunct covers band started with 'Superstition'.  Drummer would start off.  Guitarist #1 would pick out the riff, I'd join in on the beat, rhythm player would join in once he'd finished tuning up, making sure his notes were in order, got his in-ears adjusted to his liking and hitched up his trousers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, super al said:

You have a guy who plays just the harmonica? Does he do anything else? Shaker, make tea, drive the singer to gigs?

Yes, he drives the singer to the gig, sings and plays Cajon. He also drives her home, unloads the gear and gets into bed with her ( I assume), they are married.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dave moffat said:

I'd never heard that before but love it, simple but hypnotic bassline. I'd love to start with that if I ever join a band. Added to lyric and chords sheet list.

To be fair it’s a good warm up bass line as well , with a nice deep but clunky tone you can own that song , got be on it rhythmically as it is driven by the low end :)

As an original power metal band, the kind of gigs we play mean having to make 30 mins really count. Line-check-only is the norm, so our version of settling in is a song where the drums start, one guitar comes in with the rhythm, second guitar joins in with rhythm, I come in on bass and first guitar switches to lead solo, then the whole thing goes once through the verse riff and the singer comes in at full bore. If the sound guy is any good, it’s basically a mini sound check inside the first 32 bars and then we know where we stand; if it’s sorted by that point then we’re fine for the rest of the set.. if it’s not then experience tells us it’s probably going to be a bit of a battle. At least being power metal the lyrics are apt for such situations!

• Like 1

Our first song starts with 24 bars of solo bass, which means I can freak the rest of the band out by varying the tempo up until the very last 2 notes... 

So far audiences have politely indulged us for starting with a bass solo - perhaps because (unusually for us!) it's almost got a hummable melody. Almost!

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Our first song starts with 24 bars of solo bass, which means I can freak the rest of the band out by varying the tempo up until the very last 2 notes... 

So far audiences have politely indulged us for starting with a bass solo - perhaps because (unusually for us!) it's almost got a hummable melody. Almost!

You are going to have to drop Seven Nation Army soon though :)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

You are going to have to drop Seven Nation Army soon though

It's called "Buried Alive", and from what I understand is about shopping in Bury Market. Though I'm notoriously bad at completely mis-hearing and/or mis-interpreting/making-up lyrics so it could be about the Roger Corman/Ray Milland film, or some phobia or someone's first pet for all I know!

• Like 1

We've decided unanimously on Going Back Home because it's dead easy but great fun to play, really energetic  and the sort of song that feels familiar even if you don't know it... Basically a 12 bar in A with a few extra bars and some simple stops  so really easy to find your place if something goes AWOL.

• Like 1