Why become a member? ×

Kids today...

BrunoBass

I went to my son’s school Christmas concert this week. His school has a very strong musical emphasis and as such has a superb music department. The concert showcases all the different departments, whether it’s a string quartet, jazz band, choir and many others. These boys are aged 8-10. Most interesting to me were the three rock bands that played. Considering how young the kids are the performances were amazing. 

Band 1 played Born To Be Wild, Band 2 played Rolling In The Deep (complete with expletive, which cracked me up) and Band 3 played We Are The Champions. One little lad played bass with all three - his Squier Precision looked massive on him but he played well, simple stuff but solid. Which is a great place to start. 

When I was 10 I was still tuning my nylon acoustic down til the strings went floppy and pretending to be Paul Simonon. 

I was impressed! 

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 13

Littlest Bassfinger plays guitar, and a kind of battle of one upmanship to see who is the best guitarist has erupted between me and her tutor.

But on a Tuesday she goes to choir after school.  A few weeks ago I walked ho to collect her and as I walked past the classroom I could hear the kids singing We Are The Champions, which I thought was most excellent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

a kind of battle of one upmanship to see who is the best guitarist has erupted between me and her tutor.

If that's a serious comment then you need to get it resolved sooner rather than later, and be prepared to take the first step back if necessary. Even if it's 'good-natured', it's not helping your child.

One granddaughter started bass last year now on keys, a grandson started accordion now on uke, both passed the auditions for the scttish kids choir but both played in their school concerts and the boy has done a couple of solos. The two other grandaughters have guitars, not sure what the other 2 boys will choose but I suspect youngest will go guitar and the other drums. Not fussed if life gets in the way as long as they have had a chance to enjoy music and learn to play something/anything while young, its always comes back to you.

• Like 1

When I was 10 back in 1980, I wanted to do music at school, so they sat me in a room, played me The Beatles - When I'm 64 and some classical music. Then gave me a written test on what I've just listened to. The end result was the music teacher told my parents I will never make a musician, I dont have a musical bone in my body. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Linus27 said:

When I was 10 back in 1980, I wanted to do music at school, so they sat me in a room, played me The Beatles - When I'm 64 and some classical music. Then gave me a written test on what I've just listened to. The end result was the music teacher told my parents I will never make a musician, I dont have a musical bone in my body. 

Think some 'music teachers' have been responsible for f'king so may peoples' potential/enjoyment it's so very sad.

• Like 2

I remember learning to play recorder in the first term at my first senior school. We had a test where they went round the class and we had to sight read a piece. I got stuck half way through, although I eventually got through it. Thought that was it for me! In terms of sight-Reading, it was. 😉 Still, Tori Amos had the same problem and she’s done ok!

23 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

My school, a council estate grammar , imported a string quartet & made the upper school sit through it.

The music mistress was screwing the deputy head boy,

and that was the sum total of our music departments efforts..............

😎

So you had a woodwork dept too?