Why become a member? ×

Which Helix?

AlphaK

Which Line 6 Helix?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which Helix model have you gone for?

• Helix Floor or Rack
    • Helix LT
    • HX Effects
    • HX Stomp
    • HX Native
    • I had a Floor / Rack / LT / Effects / Stomp but have moved it on

Just now, BigRedX said:

Could be "digital zipper noise" although that should really be a thing of the past (its not the 1990s any more).

How many blocks does this patch use? Maybe you are nearing the limit of the FX processing power?

Or maybe its noise from the boost before it getting quantised or something like that.

27 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Could be "digital zipper noise" although that should really be a thing of the past (its not the 1990s any more).

How many blocks does this patch use? Maybe you are nearing the limit of the FX processing power?

It's a single effect, not a patch. After googling zipper noise, I think that could be it

On 10/12/2019 at 11:08, AlphaK said:

18 current Helix owners out there so far voted (thank you). That's actually quite an impressive number -  this is clearly a very popular pedal group. I guess not surprisingly half of the ones owned are Stomps, given its relatively modest pricing and compact size and it seems to be the sensible place for a newbie to start there or with the HX Effects and maybe work up to one of the bigger units in due course. Must admit, although it's not going to be the least bit sensible, the Helix Floor does look awesome in what it can do and its super easy to see displays. The only one not floating my boat is the LT - I guess simply due to the lack of the scribble strips.

So did you go for the big version or the hxfx? Seems only reasonable to ask now it’s been over a week since polling has been counted etc. 😀

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

@krispn been quite a few more poll responses since my earlier post a week or so back. The Helix Floor looks great - but whether I can find one for a reasonable price used is another matter. Certainly can't afford one new.

Maybe more sensible to kick off with a Stomp or HX Effects - January sales and NAMM coming up too, so there may be a few more coming up in the Spring as folk move onto the latest gizmos and maybe start to think about off loading some of their existing kit.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled!

I’ve a mate who is upgrading from the hxfx to a full fat helix if you’re interested. DM me and I’ll give you more info. He plays in a mad proggy type band is constantly needing new tones and noises. He’s decided that he should have everthing in one place with the max processing power! This is their music!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3PCPy9RNkon3jGRYJzxe9Q

• 2 months later...

Anyone want to upgrade from a stomp to an LT? I wonder as I have an LT (as you probably guessed from the first line).

For me the LT is too big to gig and the stomp is too small, so I am still happy gigging the HXFX. But for playing the chapman stick, sadly the LT lacks a stereo input which I believe the Stomp (and the HXFX) has, and as live is probably not something that is going to happen with the stick, it is more a home thing.

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Anyone want to upgrade from a stomp to an LT? I wonder as I have an LT (as you probably guessed from the first line).

For me the LT is too big to gig and the stomp is too small, so I am still happy gigging the HXFX. But for playing the chapman stick, sadly the LT lacks a stereo input which I believe the Stomp (and the HXFX) has, and as live is probably not something that is going to happen with the stick, it is more a home thing.

Can't you use the fx return as a second input on the LT?

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

You will know more about the LT than me, but i know on the HFX you can change this, and according to the LT manual you can do it as well. Unless im missing something.

You are incorrect, I obviously know less about the LT than you!

OK, so that is an option - I never looked on the HXFX as it has stereo inputs, the same as every other helix apart from the LT. Thats good, I can get on with it. It is however a bit overkill on what I want on the stick, but that gets it a lot more useful - thanks very much.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You are incorrect, I obviously know less about the LT than you!

OK, so that is an option - I never looked on the HXFX as it has stereo inputs, the same as every other helix apart from the LT. Thats good, I can get on with it. It is however a bit overkill on what I want on the stick, but that gets it a lot more useful - thanks very much.

No problem. I love how L6 thought of almost everything in these boxes. Agree though, the LT sounds a bit overkill for this use.

I wouldn't gig with a stomp, as it doesn't have what I need, but for the stick I just need maybe a phaser on the bass, a bit of reverb and a drive on the treble. All going to headphones probably. Obviously the LT can do this and a lot more, but it takes up a lot of space so it isn't something I can get out in the evening for a quick noodle.

I’ve just acquired a Stomp (again) and looking forward to going full IEM for the foreseeable future. I still have a good rig for when needed or a special occasion but having had an amp failure a few weeks ago and having no option but to go direct it was grand and I’m happy to embrace it. 

• Like 2

The Fender 800Pro crapped out. The fan still sounds like it’s working but no sound- a trip to the amp doctor is in order. I’m actually glad it cut out as it’s given me an excuse to clear out the pedals and go full iem. You know my views on the stomp already. I think it’s a highly capable unit. 

I don’t think anyone ‘expects’ an amp to die on a gig and while it’s inconvenient it wasn’t a disaster and my board met the task admirably. It’s kinda why I had my board set up the way it was - to cover a failure on a gig. 

I’ve still got my big box CaliTX but knowing I can set up multi band compression on the stomp and a parallel signal path it may too be made redundant but patching it in is an option via the fx loop.

The sheer amount of flexibility means that if I do bring my rig I can have a patch with the amp/cab sim going straight to the desk but not the amp so all options are covered. 

I don’t think the Stomp will arrive before my gigs on Tuesday so I’ll have a bit of time to dial it in- I think I still have a folder on my laptop and I’ve been kindly given some IR’s by a fellow BC’er which should accommodate my need perfectly. 

You shifting your HX soon then in favour of the VTDI for live?

Edited by krispn

Yeah crapping out on a gig is never going to be fun. But less of a surprise with an old road worn amp than a new one. 

HXFX will be on same board as VTDI. 

But first things first, nice simple mini board with Zoom B1X-4 set up and ready to rock! Although gigs are currently slipping out of the diary at a rapid rate of knots! 

• 1 year later...

Just nabbed a secondhand Stomp here on Basschat, so I guess I've joined that particular camp.

I've seen about the Dr Tone FB group/website and the work he does on presets. @AlphaK I think you have a Stomp as well? Any recommendations for presets or general usage?

Pete

4 minutes ago, funkle said:

Just nabbed a secondhand Stomp here on Basschat, so I guess I've joined that particular camp.

I've seen about the Dr Tone FB group/website and the work he does on presets. @AlphaK I think you have a Stomp as well? Any recommendations for presets or general usage?

Pete

Congrats - yeah saw you'd managed to nab one for a very decent price. Worth checking out this thread and there's another one dedicated to just the HX Stomp also.

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp Owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches - Effects - Basschat

• Like 1