Why become a member? ×

Ebay Question when buyer pays but wants to cancel

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I had an unopened set of my previous favourite strings going spare which I listed on ebay when I got the 'Free listing plus Max £1 final fee offer.

Someone bid on them and in the dying seconds someone outbid them by a quid and promptly paid. A short while later they messaged me saying they made a mistake and didn't want the strings as they just realised they are tapewounds not flatwounds even though the listing was clearly titled and the strings were described correctly.

If I cancel the transaction I don't think I'll get back the full paypal fee. Also I've checked the terms of the Max £1 final fee offer and if I offer the strings to the first bidder on a 2nd chance offer, I'll have to pay the full final fee as the offer won't cover it.

How should I cancel the auction & transaction so the winning bidder gets his money back without it looking like I'm the one backing out of the deal - so I can minimise my losses due to this timewaster.

11 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Don't be the one to act first, let the buyer cancel it from their end. I can't remember the options that they have.

Yes, this.  I had a buyer cancel on me recently (after paying).  The buyer needs to send a "Request to cancel this order".  Then you (the seller) have the option to accept or decline.  If accept, you'll get final value fee credit about a week later.

Edited by jrixn1