AinsleyWalker

Recommendations for where to get a body stripped(not refinished)

I've got a sunburst Musicman Stingray which has taken some knocks over the years, and has a few on the front of the body now and they always catch my eye when I play it :( They're not awful, but enough for me to consider stripping the finish off the body.
As it's a sunburst, you can see the wood through the finish for most of the body, and I think that body has a fairly nice grain to it, so if anybody has any recommendations for where to get the body stripped down/polished then I'd be very grateful! Thanks 

Edited by AinsleyWalker

On 05/12/2019 at 16:20, AinsleyWalker said:

I've got a sunburst Musicman Stingray which has taken some knocks over the years, and has a few on the front of the body now and they always catch my eye when I play it :( They're not awful, but enough for me to consider stripping the finish off the body.
As it's a sunburst, you can see the wood through the finish for most of the body, and I think that body has a fairly nice grain to it, so if anybody has any recommendations for where to get the body stripped down/polished then I'd be very grateful! Thanks 

I did my Ray myself using a Black & Decker heat gun.  Obviously strip all components and neck off first. Required a light sanding afterwards but took about 20 mins to do the whole body. Mine was solid black so not sure if a SB finish would come off the same. A 2" filler knife lifted off the paint in huge chunks when heated up to bubbling temp.

Edited by leschirons
Spelling

I’ve done a few, as leschirons says it’s fairly easy once you’ve removed the parts, just don’t over heat it ,if you are Near East London,  you’re welcome to borrow my heat gun 🙂

Beware that a sunburst Will have coloured grain filler in it and require additional sanding 

I'm another one who did it myself. Twice. I used Nitro Mors to strip and then sanded it to finish. I was really happy with the results.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By foya
      I sell this wonderful gold flaked original warmoth P 51body contoured.

the wood is mahogany!
      good conditions, only two little dings (see photos)
      price is 300 £ only body 
      but I can give you the body full loaded if interested, with bassculture stacked pickup, piezo high mass bridge, and a custom preamp made by the Italian artisan company AD with active preamp with rear dimmer on the back cover (bass, middle, treble), separate volume for pickup and piezo.
      (knobs on the top are volume and balance)
      we can negotiate the loaded body

• By Sharkfinger
      OK. let's part this out.  
      Body with original black 3-ply pickguard and thumbrest (not pictured). Relatively light: fully build bass was 3.8 Kg.£70 Delivered. American V-Mod pickups (with original box) £80 delivered Gotoh 201 bridge (allen key but no screws) £25 delivered KiOgon wiring loom Vol/blend/tone (Bourns pots) and bell plate.  £30 delivered or trade for vol/vol/tone with 3-way toggle.  
      NOTE: there is a big 'ole dent in the top edge that's take off the paint and chipped the body.  I got it like that.  I just filed the edges and just carried on.  Also paint chip at the bottom strap button and a couple of paint cracks around the neck pocket.
      £180 plus postage FIRM for all of it plus postage (of around £15) or collect / meet from East / West Herts (weekdays) or somewhere in Essex at weekends.

• By foya
      Jazz bass body, made by M2 Guitars (Italian luthier and wood supply), well resonant and really in good conditions.
      neckpocket is drilled for warmoth necks.
      wood are alder, with bubinga rainbow quilted top.
      Price is 315 £ LOADED with bartolini J style pickups, passive vol/balance/tone controls with paper in oil capacitor. gold screws and high mass gold plated bridge, bubinga finger ramp.
      i consider trades with P-style bodies.. compatible for warmoth necks 
      For the body only  225 £
      shipping is at buyer expense
      the item is located in Italy

• By rubis
      Fender Mexican body, alder, in Lake Placid Blue with a sort of parchment coloured pickguard, it’s a lovely looking body
      This is the original guard, but looks more cream in these pics. They were taken at night so I will try to retake them in better light
      Very good condition, the only mark I can find is a small ding on the back, near the neck plate
      Price is £225 packaged and posted to you

• By Marky Screen
      Howdy.
      Recently acquired a precision parts bass with a cheapo Westfield body and was looking for something a bit better to replace it with.
      Neck is a MIM and I thing it's stock size.
      Got all the electrics and that so doesn't need to be loaded.
      Not fussy on wood, colour but was looking for something that's finished, solid wood and not too pricey.
      Let me know what you've got BC'ers.
      Thanks in advance.