Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for where to get a body stripped(not refinished)

AinsleyWalker

I've got a sunburst Musicman Stingray which has taken some knocks over the years, and has a few on the front of the body now and they always catch my eye when I play it :( They're not awful, but enough for me to consider stripping the finish off the body.
As it's a sunburst, you can see the wood through the finish for most of the body, and I think that body has a fairly nice grain to it, so if anybody has any recommendations for where to get the body stripped down/polished then I'd be very grateful! Thanks 

Edited by AinsleyWalker

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2019 at 16:20, AinsleyWalker said:

I've got a sunburst Musicman Stingray which has taken some knocks over the years, and has a few on the front of the body now and they always catch my eye when I play it :( They're not awful, but enough for me to consider stripping the finish off the body.
As it's a sunburst, you can see the wood through the finish for most of the body, and I think that body has a fairly nice grain to it, so if anybody has any recommendations for where to get the body stripped down/polished then I'd be very grateful! Thanks 

I did my Ray myself using a Black & Decker heat gun.  Obviously strip all components and neck off first. Required a light sanding afterwards but took about 20 mins to do the whole body. Mine was solid black so not sure if a SB finish would come off the same. A 2" filler knife lifted off the paint in huge chunks when heated up to bubbling temp.

Edited by leschirons
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/12/2019 at 07:39, leschirons said:

I did my Ray myself using a Black & Decker heat gun.  Obviously strip all components and neck off first. Required a light sanding afterwards but took about 20 mins to do the whole body. Mine was solid black so not sure if a SB finish would come off the same. A 2" filler knife lifted off the paint in huge chunks when heated up to bubbling temp.

Thanks for the advice, might try this some time.. Would have to be careful with the heat gun, don't want to damage the wood underneath. 

What did you do after stripping and sanding? Did you apply any oils etc. to the wood? 

On 18/12/2019 at 08:22, Reggaebass said:

I’ve done a few, as leschirons says it’s fairly easy once you’ve removed the parts, just don’t over heat it ,if you are Near East London,  you’re welcome to borrow my heat gun 🙂

Appreciate the offer. What make/model gun is it? Might just be easier to get my own