Why become a member? ×

Your fantasy number

leschirons

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Surprisingly easy if you have it in your head rather than trying to count it...

Yep that was always my problem playing it. Eventually managed exactly as you say .......in my head. 

Was only in the house. Never managed to get a band that would gig Prog covers.

Dave

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Surprisingly easy if you have it in your head rather than trying to count it...

Absolutely! I used to be proud of myself in music school for being able to name really odd time signatures instantly, much quicker than my fellow students (I had to take pride in that really as I was crap at the rest of it's academia due to not being able to focus for long. I got bored REALLY easily.) 

Years later I realised that it matters not a jot what you can count, if you can verbalise it it makes much more sense. The old 'if you can say it you can play it'. 

If you're not reading charts then to hell with it!

The music will flow better and be more organic if you're not summing up the math the whole time. 

I find it really interesting just listening to others in conversation. Not to what they're saying but how what they're saying is rhythmically phrased. You can get some cracking and strange groove ideas from this kind of thing, and it's all around us all the time! 👍

I realise it's this kind of thing and thinking that Frank Zappa was on to DECADES ago. 👏👏👏🤘

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I find it really interesting just listening to others in conversation. Not to what they're saying but how what they're saying is rhythmically phrased. You can get some cracking and strange groove ideas from this kind of thing, and it's all around us all the time! 👍

I like that idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Would have to be the original California Jam or Live In Europe versions for me.  GH is still doing an amazing job these days but that raw power from 70's just does it more for me. I preferred his tone back then.

I did consider Suppers Ready too but same as you probably couldn't remember it all especially with that weird timing part 123, 12, 1, 123, 1, 123, 12, 1, etc. (think that's it)

Dave

Apocalypse in 9/8? I always start listening to the keyboard solo and forget where I am.😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep that was always my problem playing it. Eventually managed exactly as you say .......in my head. 

Was only in the house. Never managed to get a band that would gig Prog covers.

Dave

Me neither! I’ve never known any decent keyboard players who were interested, for a start.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Apocalypse in 9/8? I always start listening to the keyboard solo and forget where I am.😂

I played along using an online tab earlier, got lost a few times but my impression is that remembering what to play where is the hardest bit. The start of Willow Farm is the best bit 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I do 😀. We haven't done anything proggy yet, but he's got the gear, more than capable and keen as mustard.

You really do have it all.

Bowie, Queen and now Prog.

Not that i'm jealous but i hate you :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Kidding of course.👍

Dave:lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t take any of it for granted, believe me. Not a day goes by that I’m not in awe of the people I work with.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when the keys player in our 80’s band said Seconds Out was one of his favourite albums ever. Lots to work with there 👍

STOP IT................:dash1:

Also my fav Genesis album and era plus fav prog album ever. Never get tired listening to that album. It has a feel good factor for me every time i play it. Saw and met them all back in 80's. Had a great chat with Phil Collins as well when he sat and had tea and cakes with us. 

Sad to say i even have all the band autographs including manager and Tony Banks wife as well and all in my Seconds Out music book. A personal treasure for me.

Dave

• Like 2

On 07/12/2019 at 10:06, dmccombe7 said:

STOP IT................:dash1:

Also my fav Genesis album and era plus fav prog album ever. Never get tired listening to that album. It has a feel good factor for me every time i play it. Saw and met them all back in 80's. Had a great chat with Phil Collins as well when he sat and had tea and cakes with us. 

Sad to say i even have all the band autographs including manager and Tony Banks wife as well and all in my Seconds Out music book. A personal treasure for me.

Dave

I never get bored with Seconds Out either, and it’s my fave era too. I think by that point the band were playing the oldies fantastically well. 

• Like 1