Why become a member? ×

Your fantasy number

leschirons

1 minute ago, upside downer said:

Same here. Love Wobble's simple yet effective style. No overplaying and serving the songs.

Exactly, but with those odd almost mechanical repeated patterns that somehow simultaneously sound so rich and organic. My favourite album, my favourite bass player. In my humble opinion (and yours too by the sound of it) what marks a bass player out as great is serving the song, in Wobble’s case he manages to be the glue, the base on which everything sits yet still he lines stand out because they are such peculiar note choices. The governor.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Exactly, but with those odd almost mechanical repeated patterns that somehow simultaneously sound so rich and organic. My favourite album, my favourite bass player. In my humble opinion (and yours too by the sound of it) what marks a bass player out as great is serving the song, in Wobble’s case he manages to be the glue, the base on which everything sits yet still he lines stand out because they are such peculiar note choices. The governor.

I got into Wobble's playing after hearing Visions of You for the first time and that was consolidated after buying the excellent Rising Above Bedlam

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I got into Wobble's playing after hearing Visions of You for the first time and that was consolidated after buying the excellent Rising Above Bedlam

I’ve not really listened (apart from once live) to any of his output after PiL, silly of me probably.

Edited by Frank Blank

21 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Burn by Deep Purple

19 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Probably have to be The Real Me with The Who.

I'd happily take either of these - although, assuming we're talking about the original artists playing in the current era, Burn would be with Glenn Hughes for the vocals (Coverdale's voice is shot).Having seen GH perform this live a couple of weeks ago, I'd have given my left b*ll*ck for the chance to get up and play.

If I was allowed to resurrect Keith Moon though then The Real Me would be the one. I got to see The Who play it live back when I'd just started playing myself back in the 90s with Zak Starkey on drums and John Entwistle's playing completely blew my tiny teenage mind!

• Like 1

I’d say something by Yes but I could never replace Squire, even for one song. It’d just be a disappointment. Probably Supper’s Ready, assuming I could remember it.😉 Although getting to play something like a Dancing Queen or Eagle with ABBA would have been unreal. Or getting to play anything with Space Ritual era Hawkwind.

5 hours ago, Painy said:

I'd happily take either of these - although, assuming we're talking about the original artists playing in the current era, Burn would be with Glenn Hughes for the vocals (Coverdale's voice is shot).Having seen GH perform this live a couple of weeks ago, I'd have given my left b*ll*ck for the chance to get up and play.

Would have to be the original California Jam or Live In Europe versions for me.  GH is still doing an amazing job these days but that raw power from 70's just does it more for me. I preferred his tone back then.

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Probably Supper’s Ready, assuming I could remember it.😉 

I did consider Suppers Ready too but same as you probably couldn't remember it all especially with that weird timing part 123, 12, 1, 123, 1, 123, 12, 1, etc. (think that's it)

Dave

50 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I did consider Suppers Ready too but same as you probably couldn't remember it all especially with that weird timing part 123, 12, 1, 123, 1, 123, 12, 1, etc. (think that's it)

Surprisingly easy if you have it in your head rather than trying to count it...

• Like 1