Why become a member? ×

Help with getting rid of thud tone

markdavid

Hoping someone here will read this post and know what I am talking about, is kind of hard to explain but I have recently gone back to flatwounds
after using rounds for a while I was craving a thicker tone.

In rehearsal last night I was finding that some songs sounded good but some other songs my tone seemed to have an odd thud to it, not a thump, not a boom but a thud, hoping someone on here has experienced the same issue and can help with some tips on how to get rid of this odd tone.

As it was a thud and not a boom I am wondering if (although it sounds counter intuitive) maybe actually scooping 
the low mids and boosting the high mids a little might help.

I was running eq flat apart from a slight boost in the hi mids, fender rumble 500, TI Jazz flats.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Pick or fingers?

Fingers with fingernails?

playing nearer the bridge or neck?

Even before we start talking wholesale EQ changes you can get a lot of difference by altering the above

Fingersyle, short fingernails so no fingernail in the attack, playing between neck and bridge in the area that is often referred to as the "pickup sweet spot" 

Good point, I will try playing closer to the bridge , maybe that will help some

thanks

Edited by markdavid

Which hand are you muting with? Left?  Right?  Both/either?.

If you are left hand muting you could try lifting off the fret a millisecond sooner. This creates an absolutely momentary slight fret buzz and can change your sound substantially in the mids. Then maybe go on to think about your RH hand position or exact amp EQ afterwards.

Just another opinion.

19 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Which hand are you muting with? Left?  Right?  Both/either?.

If you are left hand muting you could try lifting off the fret a millisecond sooner. This creates an absolutely momentary slight fret buzz and can change your sound substantially in the mids. Then maybe go on to think about your RH hand position or exact amp EQ afterwards.

Just another opinion.

Right hand, I play a lot of ghost notes so makes sense to use the right hand 

I've only just gone back to flats after 35 yrs and in the house the thud but within the band setting they sound really good at louder volumes. La Bella Low Tension flats 40-95 lights

I also have my EQ almost flat on the amp with a little bass boost on bass. Sandberg VM4,

If i ramp up the high end / treble on the bass i get a really nice click from the frets / strings when i dig in. Fingerstyle with no nail attack here either. Obviously the sustain isn't same as rounds i was using but we don't play slow songs where bass rings out on notes.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Dave

• Like 1

On 05/12/2019 at 09:27, markdavid said:

I have recently gone back to flatwounds
after using rounds for a while I was craving a thicker tone.

In rehearsal last night I was finding that some songs sounded good but some other songs my tone seemed to have an odd thud to it, not a thump, not a boom but a thud, hoping someone on here has experienced the same issue and can help with some tips on how to get rid of this odd tone.

With a complete and sincere lack of sarcasm or smart-arsedness, the simple answer is that you need to get rid of the flats!

Horrible things🤮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Nah.

Hate the sound; hate the feel  however, freely admit one man's meat is another man's poison. More strength to the flat community if thats your thing😃

Subjection aside, any attempt to investigate the OP's query requires objective investigation of any factors that may have led the new and disconcerting 'thud': low and behold, and so it came to pass, it has only reared its ugly head with a sinister transition from rounds (lovely, lovely, lovely!), to flats (boo, hiss!).

Case closed.

Given that the OP has invested cash,  and the most valuable resource of all - time - into this transition, he probably doesnt want to hear this advice ... but cest la vie.👍

• Like 1

Just now, White Cloud said:

Hate the sound; hate the feel  however, freely admit one man's meat is another man's poison. More strength to the flat community if thats your thing😃

Subjection aside, any attempt to investigate the OP's query requires objective investigation of any factors that may have led the new and disconcerting 'thud': low and behold, and so it came to pass, it has only reared its ugly head with a sinister transition from rounds (lovely, lovely, lovely!), to flats (boo, hiss!).

Case closed.

Given that the OP has invested cash,  and the most valuable resource of all - time - into this transition, he probably doesnt want to hear this advice ... but cest la vie.👍

The OP is 'going back to flatwounds' which suggests he's used them previously and knows what to expect, only this time.. he's not getting it.

I'm not sure your post helps a great deal.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

The OP is 'going back to flatwounds' which suggests he's used them previously and knows what to expect, only this time.. he's not getting it.

I'm not sure your post helps a great deal.

My post was written entirely in good faith and eliminates the problem.

Edited by White Cloud
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, ambient said:

There’s flats and flats. I’ve always hated flats that go thump or thud, but loved flats that have zing and are articulate. Thomastik are by far my favourite.

Yes, thump or thud. Exactly the noise made by Mr Holland’s bass player. I wish he wouldn’t do it. Sorry if I’ve upset some fans but to me it sounds awful.

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'l be trying out flats at a gig tomorrow night for the first time in 35 yrs. Depending on how it goes will decide whether i remain with them.

To be fair they sound good in rehearsals so i'm expecting same at gig.

Dave

Have a good'un.

Part of it is weaning your ears off what you're used to hearing - the zing, etc.

Once you're over that, you begin to appreciate them for what they are.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Thanks 1