Why become a member? ×

Unusual Seven String Acoustic Bass

As of late I have found myself turning to Basschat and its wondrously knowledgeable members for the answers to many of life's puzzling questions and enigmas.

Questions such as; 

“Why do hats not suit me?..."

“What would happen if I were to lick a 9v battery?..."

&

“Where does the wax in my ears come from and can I use it to make candles?..."

Today I have been presented with yet another baffling question that I feel only the great minds at Basschat will be able to answer...

During one of my regular visits to local “good-will", in search of a 1957 Fender Precision that has been vastly underpriced at only £6.99 by the kindly senior volunteer working for free in her spare time, I stumbled across a rather peculiar and enchanting instrument that had been labelled as a “Lute" by said elderly volunteer.

From my experience (mostly from playing lute for the well known and ever popular middle ages cover band “The Christendom Crusaders") the common lute has a much shorter neck than that of the instrument what I saw for sale at the local “good-will".

I have attached a rather “grainy" picture of the instrument below for you, the reader, to fathom its title. I am assuming it falls into the lute “family" however I would greatly appreciate if one could specify the exact name for this instrument (& no! It does not look like a Graham!!!...)

Please send all answers to;

That's A Cute Lute!
Luton
Po Box 4929

(Or just reply to this topic, up to you...)

Screenshot_20191204-142241.png

Please note I am asking for the title of the instrument in the foreground. I am already aware of the name for the instruments that appear in the background, they are an early pair of “Caucasian Getaway Sticks":laugh1:

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
because he's fussy
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

That's simply a saz, a Balkan instrument. 😉

& The prize goes to Mr Zero!! With a record response of 6 minutes... 

The article took me longer than that to write.. :laugh1:

P.s. loving the new profile pic ;)

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
because he wanted to be accurate
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Listen to this extraordinary saz player pushing the boundaries of this instrument :

IMG_20191204_211822.thumb.jpg.2ea938f58308577e94eccd3b3b734271.jpg

IMG_20191204_211849.thumb.jpg.0dbac73bc49ca521ff04894f492374e7.jpg

Ah, very nice!! Amazing hand technique great use of flamenco style and finger tapping!! 

I wonder if there's room for a Saz in my band?... Don't care!!! I'm doing it!!!

Go for it, £70 GBP is really cheap for such a rare instrument. 👍

I've been playing a Glissentar for some songs in one of my earlier band. The first reaction has always been : wtf is this ?

Liked that a lot.

Edited by Hellzero
Glissentar, not Glussentar, you fat fingers mucker.

• 1 month later...
On 04/12/2019 at 20:28, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Ah, very nice!! Amazing hand technique great use of flamenco style and finger tapping!! 

I wonder if there's room for a Saz in my band?... Don't care!!! I'm doing it!!!

Did you buy the saz in the end? They are great instruments to play. In my old band we used to do 'Kashmir' with yours truly on saz, the tuning I use (GDA) is ideal for it. 

3 hours ago, upside downer said:

Did you buy the saz in the end? They are great instruments to play. In my old band we used to do 'Kashmir' with yours truly on saz, the tuning I use (GDA) is ideal for it. 

I did contemplate purchasing the Saz for a while however my “music room" is in serious need of a clear out... so alas I refrained from adding the Saz to my collection.

Not that a Saz would take up too much space... ^_^

I've rather naughtily been looking into purchasing a cello though... Certainly no room for that... and the fact that I've never even touched a cello might make learning to play one very taxing... :scratch_one-s_head:

I've just been besotted with the instrument ever since I was a child and heard “The Sanctuary" as the theme tune for the TV series “Angel"

“Love me some brooding vampires..." 

... but the emotion that the cello can evoke is amazing!

Such a serious and sombre instrument... It's like the opposite of me xD