Why become a member? ×

Alto TX208 as wedge monitors for the whole band

razze06

I am considering using a pair something like the Alto TX208 Active PA Speaker as small wedge monitors for the whole band. Do you think they would take handle bass and DB ok for monitoring purposes? We are not superloud, but we often gig in tiny spaces. We find it tricky to position bass and guitar amps so they can serve as main source of sound for both monitoring and audience. Vocals and sax go through PA, drums are acoustic only.

What kind of band, what personnel, what is the size of "tiny spaces" venues?

I ummm'd and aaaaah'd for a long time looking at the TX208 (partly because of comments on this forum) but bought one last week and used it for a monitor at a gig at the weekend. It was brilliant - a really nice combination of sound quality, power and compactness (and price). Obviously, be aware of its limitations but I'd recommend one dependin on your actual circumstances as asked above.

15 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

What kind of band, what personnel, what is the size of "tiny spaces" venues?

I ummm'd and aaaaah'd for a long time looking at the TX208 (partly because of comments on this forum) but bought one last week and used it for a monitor at a gig at the weekend. It was brilliant - a really nice combination of sound quality, power and compactness (and price). Obviously, be aware of its limitations but I'd recommend one dependin on your actual circumstances as asked above.

Six piece with two singers, guitar, bass, sax, drums. Soul, funk, swing, ska, whatever else captures our fancy - no hard rock or metal. We like to try and gig in small pubs with no designated stage, so the smaller the better 

Sounds like I should just go for it. I was worried that the small box factor meant just distortion on the low frequencies if slightly pushed, but maybe not.

I came back to this because I played at an open mic this w/e with a couple of older model 8" Alto's doing vocal duty and they sounded really very good. Mainly though because the fleshy human bits knew what they were doing and the Drummer was using rods rather than sticks. Even so remarkable performance from the little fellas.

So I looked them up, so cheap! The thing is the TX208 only does 113dB, that's not loud. I used to use the old Yamaha Stagepas 300 as a vocal monitor (also113dB) and when the band got loud they were just beginning to struggle. The TX310 will go to 116dB and the TS308 will go to 126dB, if size is crucial but budget flexible. You'd notice an extra 3dB but an extra 13dB is a huge difference.

Alto make ok pa stuff.

Punches way above its weight and great value, but there are compromises.

I now use an old ts110a as a monitor for vocals and guitar and it's great for that.

It has a 2 channel input mixer on the back which I put vocal feed in one and guitar feed in another so I can adjust as I go.

Just one thing with the Altos - dont rag them (run on their limits) their cones will go pretty quick and it isnt pleasant.

And remember (on the old versions anyway) 6oclock upto 12 o'clock is line level, 12-6 is mic level. They aren't 6-6 volume.

Great value though. I'm happy with mine.