Why become a member? ×

Mustang MIM PJ truss rod adjustment

Trueno

Just got a brand new Fender Mustang MIM PJ bass. I've stuck a Gotoh bridge and my fave strings on it and set it all up. It's all pretty damn good tbh.

The truss rod may need a smidge of adjustment... just being perfectionist, there are no buzzes or anything. I can't find a hex key to fit... so I'm assuming it needs a Fender ball end wrench. I just want to check before I buy one... and is it one size fits all... or am I missing something?

Even if I don't need to adjust now, I want one for future eventualities.

Cheers, everyone.

1 hour ago, Trueno said:

Even if I don't need to adjust now, I want one for future eventualities.

Is this a rhetorical question?

I've found not all truss rods use the same size Allen key, so if you have a set of different sized Allen keys, try them all until one fits. MIM basses generally only need an Allen key to adjust.

My usual "tool box" allen keys don't fit. It occured to me they're probably metric while the Fender is imperial. 3/16" seems to be the standard size. I have some 3/16" allen keys in my bass-tinkering stuff, but they don't engage. Getting a light down the socket showed that the adjuster is full of crud... mostly sawdust. Cleaned some of it out but the keys still don't engage.

I might have to take a punt on the t bar. The only other explanation seems to be that the Mexican guy in the factory decided to fit a mutant truss rod... the last one in the box.

5 hours ago, Trueno said:

My usual "tool box" allen keys don't fit. It occured to me they're probably metric Getting a light down the socket showed that the adjuster is full of crud... mostly sawdust. 

I had a bass once, where the truss rod nut was full of dirt, tried using lubricant and a metal pick to get the dirt out, didn't really help. If you really like the bass it's probably best to get a Lutheir to replace the nut, else move it along.

8 hours ago, Trueno said:

My usual "tool box" allen keys don't fit. It occured to me they're probably metric while the Fender is imperial. 3/16" seems to be the standard size. I have some 3/16" allen keys in my bass-tinkering stuff, but they don't engage. Getting a light down the socket showed that the adjuster is full of crud... mostly sawdust. Cleaned some of it out but the keys still don't engage.

I might have to take a punt on the t bar. The only other explanation seems to be that the Mexican guy in the factory decided to fit a mutant truss rod... the last one in the box.

You need Imperial for US and MIM Fenders

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I had a bass once, where the truss rod nut was full of dirt, tried using lubricant and a metal pick to get the dirt out, didn't really help. If you really like the bass it's probably best to get a Lutheir to replace the nut, else move it along.

This truly is the Bass of the Gods. After some to-ing and fro-ing with Andertons (who I bought it off) my instinct is "f*** it". It doesn't actually need adjusting and I won't be changing string gauge... ever. If it ever needs some adjustment I'll be getting my retirement pension by then (???) so I may get the luthier to whack in some expensive pick ups and stuff at the same time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Cribbin said:

On a side note, do Fender no longer supply tools with new guitars? Bit naughty if they don't.

Last MIM Fender I bought was a Telecaster and the truss rod needs 3/16.

I don't think they do. Think I've even read some reviews that they don't even provide them with quite expensive stuff. I didn't get the usual two hex keys with this bass (a Mexican)... now I think about it, that's one of the reasons I was confused about the right key.

I got the hex keys with my Squier Jag a few short years ago... and that cost me the grand total of £170 (a bargain).

Happy ending#1

I got a Fender truss rod tool and it engages. The 3/16 hex key doesn't, but this does. End of problem. The tool is going in my bass bits box. No... I'm not even going to adjust the truss rod... or maybe just a little bit. Yes... Fender are miserable gits for not including one.

Happy ending#2

Had my first rehearsal with the new bass yesterday. Bloody awesome.

NBD post coming soon.

Thanks to the BCers who have shared my pain.

• Like 2