Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar rack ?

J66Bass

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

That's the one. It's like a TARDIS - mine's currently accommodating two jumbo acoustics, five electric guitars and two basses. Yes, you have to be careful when they're close together.

As for the potential nitro issues, where needed one wraps a strip of clean old cotton sheet around the foam to protect the finish.

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Came across this one which separates them at top and bottom. Made by Quik-Lok. Andertons at £120

Image result for bass guitar stands images

I have one of these and it’s excellent. Really well made. 

I also have an unbranded one that I got from either GAK or Gear4music. It had the issue where the foam reacted with the finish on one of my guitars - I got some sticky-backed felt and wrapped a length of that around the foam. Sorted.

That said, the stand’s nowhere near as good as the Quiklok one....

Edited by Skinnyman

9 hours ago, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Hey J!!

Just a heads up... The rubber on some stands will damage the finish on certain guitars... Nitrocellulose finishes seem to be quite susceptible to marking if stored incorrectly.  I've even heard scare stories of rubber padding actually fusing to the guitars finish!!... :shok:

With an ever growing family of bass guitars, space around the home can become an issue... (This is why I live in the shed)

If you are considering a multi guitar rack it might also be an idea to consider individual gig bags. 

The gig bags will;

- Better protect your “babies" from accidental damage like knocks and scrapes

- Prevent dust gathering between pickups and bridge saddles 

- Protect against UV rays

- Avoid rubber rash from PVC stands

- Offer a level of protection against sudden temperature change

- Preserve the life of the strings

If you do a bit of web crawling you will likely find a basic bass gig bag for between £5 & £15.  I personally think it's a small price to pay to help protect that which brings you so much joy!! :i-m_so_happy:

Make sure to get the measurements right though as not all gig bags will fit a long or extra long bass guitar.

Pip pip

:hi:Brilliant iD I will definitely check that ,thanks 

On 04/12/2019 at 21:42, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Hey J!!

Just a heads up... The rubber on some stands will damage the finish on certain guitars... Nitrocellulose finishes seem to be quite susceptible to marking if stored incorrectly.  I've even heard scare stories of rubber padding actually fusing to the guitars finish!!... :shok:

With an ever growing family of bass guitars, space around the home can become an issue... (This is why I live in the shed)

If you are considering a multi guitar rack it might also be an idea to consider individual gig bags. 

The gig bags will;

- Better protect your “babies" from accidental damage like knocks and scrapes

- Prevent dust gathering between pickups and bridge saddles 

- Protect against UV rays

- Avoid rubber rash from PVC stands

- Offer a level of protection against sudden temperature change

- Preserve the life of the strings

If you do a bit of web crawling you will likely find a basic bass gig bag for between £5 & £15.  I personally think it's a small price to pay to help protect that which brings you so much joy!! :i-m_so_happy:

Make sure to get the measurements right though as not all gig bags will fit a long or extra long bass guitar.

Pip pip

:hi:

All very good, but if the OP is like me, it means you never play anything but the one instrument that is out of the case, ever.

I have forgotten I owned instruments simply because they were, very protected, in their hard cases.

I like guitar racks. I use the Warwick 7-guitar ones. I bought the first one back in... 2000-2002 or so, and it's still in great condition. So are the guitars. Dust is a thing, that's true, but maybe you can use it as a gauge to measure which guitars are obvious candidates to be sold on ;)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I have forgotten I owned instruments simply because they were, very protected, in their hard cases.

Oh dear... Those poor neglected instruments... :o

Had you have said that you had simply forgotten your partner as they were at work or your children as they were at school I may have been able to relate... 

On 05/12/2019 at 00:57, Skinnyman said:

I got some sticky-backed felt and wrapped a length of that around the foam. Sorted.

I use old surgical dressings salvaged from first aid courses I've been on.

(No bodily fluids involved I hasten to add, they just can't be reused once the packaging has been opened) 🙂

• Haha 1

I've decided to have a go at building a rack myself, based on this one I've seen on ebay. 

Built a single guitar one as a practice run this morning out of cheap timber. Looks and works OK, so will choose some better wood and build a 5/6'r to fit in the space where my 3 guitar rack sits. It's a bit of a tight fit but hopefully it'll be fine. 

Screenshot_20191207_135208.jpg

IMG_20191207_134235.jpg

IMG_20191207_134321.jpg

IMG_20191207_134352.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice job @DoubleOhStephan , just a suggestion, you could put something like this on the bottom rails to protect the basses 🙂https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352791951255

Indeed.
A "2M Baby Foam Corner Guard Safety Protect Table Edge Bumper Cushion Strip Useful", in situations like this,  is always useful. 😉

• Like 2

On 05/12/2019 at 07:18, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I know this doesn’t fit the criteria in the OP, but I recently bought one of these and it’s flippin’ marvellous. Made by K&M of stuff that is kind to paint of the nitro persuasion. Bought mine from Thomann. Only holds 5, but thought I would mention it in case it is of interest to others.

08C72603-B0CA-48F3-AFC0-92701DD6BAB5.jpeg

That is very much what I’m looking for ,not yet decided but I like it thanks 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2019 at 21:42, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

Some manufacturers aim to stop this from happening- for example since only using hercules stands on my nitro instruments, i've never had a problem. I have had the "fusion" type thing on a cheap stand in the past, where it's eaten into teh finish.

I dont think they (hercules) advertise this just incase for liability reasons- but it's worked for me. For teh record I've had fender, gibson and rickenbacker (if they are nitro? :scratch_one-s_head:).  I'm sure there are other manufacturers out there who do similar.

• Like 2

I have a long rack with acoustics, basses and electrics in it. I have an open plan living / kitchen in my flat and after a couple of months I realised that the dust and cooking particulates were congealing on my guitars. As such I made some custom dust covers for each of my guitars out of very thin cotton with a tight weave and I'm so glad I did! 

It takes about 5 seconds extra to take the guitar out and 10 to put back, but having dust-free (and oil free) guitars is a relief, and they protect from scratches from controls and bridges etc.

If anyone else requires similar, I could probably quote you for some work. 

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 23:38, Bassassin said:

Made my own:

RACK.thumb.jpg.4b5be6fc2d253cbc8cab4bb0fe77b327.jpg

B&Q battens, some wood screws & a junior hacksaw.

That is superb. I think I might build something similar into my cheap wardrobe bespoke storage unit. My new year project right there :D 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Are you offering to make covers, or to relic people basses by leaving them out...

Either! I can protect your basses with handy dust covers, or offer an authentic 'gigged too close to the kitchens on a 20 year restaurant residency' relic job. The relic is slightly more expensive as I'll have to do a lot of cooking to get it authentic.

• Haha 1