Why become a member? ×

High action and dead spots. What to do?

Hi guys,

I had one of my basses setup, neck is straight and all is good but I decided to raise the action as I like to play with quite a high action. The only problem is, by raising the action quite a few spots appear (in the lower end,if that matters) and I don't know what to do.

Is there anything I should do to the truss rod?

Any helps is much appreciated!

So you had it professionally set up but you didn't like it, so decided to raise the action, but now it has dead spots? 

Something isn't quite right here. Nevertheless, there's 2 aspects (well, more if you include weirdness like its twisted, or a bass with 2 truss rods but they're not set properly with respect to each other etc) to the "straightness" of a neck. AND.....the conventional proper setup is for a neck to be ever-so-slightly curved upwards. The two aspects are the neck itself and the frets.

The way to check this (the neck) yourself is to hold the bass up to your eyeline with the bridge nearest, then look along the neck and you can see the curve (or not).

To check the frets, fret a string at eg 1st fret and 20th (or whatever your last) fret is, then measure the clearance at the other frets (obviously if its an even curve then it will be in the middle).

If its certain notes but not others, it sounds like either a twisted neck or uneven frets. (If the action has been set high - if the action were set low, then it could simply be you've reached the 'limit' of how low it can go, due to the small/acceptable imperfections which are bound to occur).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

So you had it professionally set up but you didn't like it, so decided to raise the action, but now it has dead spots? 

Something isn't quite right here. Nevertheless, there's 2 aspects (well, more if you include weirdness like its twisted, or a bass with 2 truss rods but they're not set properly with respect to each other etc) to the "straightness" of a neck. AND.....the conventional proper setup is for a neck to be ever-so-slightly curved upwards. The two aspects are the neck itself and the frets.

The way to check this (the neck) yourself is to hold the bass up to your eyeline with the bridge nearest, then look along the neck and you can see the curve (or not).

To check the frets, fret a string at eg 1st fret and 20th (or whatever your last) fret is, then measure the clearance at the other frets (obviously if its an even curve then it will be in the middle).

If its certain notes but not others, it sounds like either a twisted neck or uneven frets. (If the action has been set high - if the action were set low, then it could simply be you've reached the 'limit' of how low it can go, due to the small/acceptable imperfections which are bound to occur).

Hi Paul, 

Thank you for your help! I've checked the bass and yes, the neck isn't straight but it has a slight curve upwards so all in the norm there. I know frets are fine as well as the tech has checked all that. 

There is no dead spots when the action is low but as soon as the action is higher then some notes just dont resonate and a couple of dead spots appear, one quite severe.

I might just have to take it back to the guy and explain it to him but it would be good to know if there is anyone else out there that has had the same problem regarding high action and dead spots appearing.

I can't say I've ever come across that specific issue - logic suggests it would occur the other way round (lower the action, and dead spots occur). So I'll do the same as you, await others' replies!!! Hope you get it sorted though.

Just one final thought....how old are the strings?

33 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I can't say I've ever come across that specific issue - logic suggests it would occur the other way round (lower the action, and dead spots occur). So I'll do the same as you, await others' replies!!! Hope you get it sorted though.

Just one final thought....how old are the strings?

Yeah I know, welcome to my life full of unusual choices and problems! 

Strings are new but I've had this problem with other strings too. 

I've had the same problem on another bass a while a go so clearly something isn't right in the setup. 

Awaiting for more suggestions!

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Your neck should have a little bit if relief, as you have increased the saddle height you'll need to reduce the relief to compensate. Did you change the strings also, as different tension will also require adjusting the relief?

By saying reducing the relief you mean tightening the truss rod right? Clockwise turn? And yes, I've put on lo riders that have much more tension than the strings I've had before.

1 hour ago, TwoStringsWouldBeEnough said:

By saying reducing the relief you mean tightening the truss rod right? Clockwise turn? And yes, I've put on lo riders that have much more tension than the strings I've had before.

Yes, generally a tiny bit of relief, so tiny bit of upward bow from being dead straight. With the strings off your neck should bow downwards, then the tension of the strings brings the neck straight.

With a high action you can have the neck bowing very, very slightly downward once the strings are tuned because the clearance over the first fret will be more than if the action is lower.

• Thanks 1

If you’ve paid for a setup that you didn’t like, then I’m sure any professional would help you if you took it back. They might help you find the right setup, so they know and can do it for you again. But might want paid something for the extra work. 

It’s all subjective, there’s no right or wrong setup, each person enjoys their own preference. But once you have the setup you like, you need to find out what the measurements are, so you can tell anyone that’s working on any of you basses in the future.