Why become a member? ×

Essex Luthiers

Frank Blank

I’m looking for recommendations for a luthier, preferably in Essex but surrounding counties, Suffolk, Hertford, Cambs but not London. The chap I usually use is up in Warwick and, as much as I admire his work, it’s a 230 mile round trip to drop off, a 230 mile round trip to pick up and there is always a long wait to get an appointment and then again to get it back. He is a superb craftsman but the two round trips... I’m simply wondering if there is a craftsman of his quality a little more locally to me. I realise there is  list of luthiers on BC already but I’m more after people’s experiences with local services.

Nowadays I always go to a chap who has started up recently - given up a job in the city to follow his passion and life-long hobby.  Leighton Jennings, in Western Road, Leigh.  He builds guitars and amps so can confidently tackle pretty much anything,  He also restores Dansette record players!  I've been really pleased with his work - currently he is marrying a mis-matched neck and body for me.

https://www.leightonsguitarshop.com/

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Nowadays I always go to a chap who has started up recently - given up a job in the city to follow his passion and life-long hobby.  Leighton Jennings, in Western Road, Leigh.  He builds guitars and amps so can confidently tackle pretty much anything,  He also restores Dansette record players!  I've been really pleased with his work - currently he is marrying a mis-matched neck and body for me.

https://www.leightonsguitarshop.com/

Brilliant. Have contacted him.

10 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Colin Fulton, who I believe is now in Laxfield, is an extremely fine luthier. Last time I saw him he was making some jazz archtops ala Gibson 175. Now he's moved though, I'm not sure the number I still have for him is current. Can do some digging if you're not sorted.

Thanks Pete. I visited Leighton this morning, @Paul S’s suggestion above and was confident enough to leave both basses with him so I think I’m sorted.

• Like 1