Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Portaflex series - opinions?

AinsleyWalker

I've currently got both the PF500 and the PF50t heads, the later being especially great. I prefer Orange these days as a personal choice but I had a lot of fun for years with them. The 4x10 cab was especially great but I also used to own a 2x10 and 1x15 Portaflex cabs. Not quite SVT but certainly 100% Ampeg and I usually got favourable comments on my tone. I moved to Orange as it suited the bands I was in better but the Ampeg stuff was perfect for my old bands. Always reliable too.

• Like 1

I have the PF50T. I got it for a bit of fun but it’s working really well with my Barefaced Midget as a gigging setup in my country band. It seems to work better with the Midget than with my Super Twin - punchier I’d say.

I’ve never owned or tried the PF500 but I had the SVT3-Pro for a while and the PF50T is much more enjoyable to play through. It gets a bit ‘furry’ when pushed but never sounds strained.

I have a One 10 on order so I’m looking forward to hearing how the PF50T pairs with it.

If you’re gigging you’ll need something to carry it around in as there are no handles on it! @Cat Burrito put me onto a suitable carry bag.

• Like 1

I have a PF500 as my backup amp that every so often becomes my gigging amp.  What can I say, a good little amp has proved solid and reliable for the 2 possibly 3 years that I have owned it (bought pre-loved) so had some use in its life.

• Like 1

I ran a PF500 for about 8/9 years, so it was an early production model. It did loads of practices and gigs and never let me down. Really solid bit of kit and sounds great. Got loads of compliments on my tone with that head. Only moved it on because it had been 9 years and I wanted to see what else was out there.

• Like 1