Why become a member? ×

Was it dead or did I kill it?

Ander87

Hi guys,

Wanting to pick your brains about this - I've just restrung my MM Stingray with DR nickel Lo Riders, and the Sadowsky ME MV5 with DR Pure Blues.

Lots of warmth and booty to the Stingray, you can 'see' less tension with more vibration on the strings but still very responsive and not floppy strings (was on NYXL before). I am loving them.

Nonetheless, I did read carefully the instructions (I always do just in case) whilst restringing the Sad with Pure Blues (round core, nickel) and the 5th string was an absolute dissappointment - it sound like somebody turned the active preamp off just for that string...! The rest of strings are okay, nickel tone but still good punch when slapping on the bottom strings and etc, but the 5th is totally gone.

While restringing I did do the 'hook' thing as I could (bending the string at an angle then cutting it before putting it in the hole) - I couldn't leave much 'hook' as it wouldn't fit in the tuner hole - did I mess anything up? I switched the other strings I had and the DR Pure Blues 5th is sensibly lower volume - attached a picture just in case...

Thoughts? Did it came like this or did I mess it up? Should I have done anything different?

Best,

Ander.

IMG_20191203_131823.jpg

IMG_20191203_131806.jpg

It took quite some time for me to find out the right B-string for my previous Modulus Graphite. The .125 was The Thing. All other gauges were floppy and sloppy and blobby. She just started to sing with the right gauge. Do some trials, it may be the gauge.

Thanks for this guys! In this case it's a 130 gauge - I've used this gauge in all my basses and they sounded okay...! Quite surprised it's only this DR pure blues set 5th that sounds so so much lower! It's like comparing an active bass then switching to passive. 

I'll speak with DR on this but I just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything wrong myself, first time with round cores.... 

I stopped using DR about a year ago after my third set of strings with duff E's or A's. I have used their strings for 25 years on many different basses, so it wasnt the stringing. My emails of complaint were ignored by DR!!! Not the legendary service id heard about. They seem to have gone downhill which is heartbreaking as i still feel these are "my sound", but they are far to expensive to take a chance on 😔

Ive gone to Dunlop superbright nickels, which while nice, die off fairly quickly.

Hm. More and more people I hear switching from DR to Dunlop, interestingly. 

They did reply to me and offered to replace the set which I happily accepted but their high prices may play against them if the difference vs Dunlop are small and the quality issues remain... 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...