Why become a member? ×

Moving the strap button on an Epiphone Jack Casady to the upper horn (Advice)

Hi all

I'm going to be moving my strap button as I'm struggling with the bass tilting forward. This is not about neck dive as I'm ok with that.....

Any advice and help would be very much appreciated. I competent to carry out the work but I'm just looking for help from anyone who may have tackled this on a similar guitar or bass

Thanks in advance

Mike

a.jpg

I'd have thought that the original neck heel position is safer, being anchored in a solid block of wood, rather than screwing into the hollow upper horn.

I sympathise tho - my JC was a nightmare for tipping forward and neck diving, but i just accepted it as a quirk of the bass as best i could.

It's my intention to add a small block of wood behind/inside the upper horn to give support if needed :) However here are a few examples of the upper horn having a strap button added. Now these may have had additional support but then again who knows????? I may even fit one and add a block behind it in the future if it's needed and surely the construction of these new and used basses can't be that dissimilar to the Casady.......I'm also thinking that I go at a slight angle as per the old gal at the top :)

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e4.JPG

ES335.jpg

ES335-sides1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hi Paul....I've already had the electrics out via the pick up hole so its my intention to do the work needed in the opposite direction. I'm going to shape a block using the outer body as a rough template and glue this into position by guiding it into the upper horn using welding rods. Having pre drilled the upper horn and block, it is my intention to guide the block into position and then screw the strap button into place whilst the glue sets...... There is a slim chance however that the screw for the strap button may just simply screw tightly into the upper horn section if that part of the guitar has enough about it to take the weight and if not that's when I will add the block..... Whilst this won't be easy I'm confident it can be done

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, Mike Byrne said:

I'm going to be moving my strap button as I'm struggling with the bass tilting forward. This is not about neck dive as I'm ok with that.....

So when you say 'tilting forward', which way is it tilting?   Are you talking about a tilt in the same direction as neck dive (isn't that just neck dive?) or that the top edge of the body is leaning away from you?  Or something else?

I ask because the possible solutions are different in each case.

In terms of whether the top horn would take a button screw, the answer is 'probably' unless the whole of the sides are made of thin bent laminate.

I am following this with interest as I have long wanted to do the same thing. Never play my semi acoustic because of the hateful tilt. 

My envisaged solution was the same. Shape a block of wood, hold in place (somehow) pre drill body and block together, remove block, apply glue, reinsert block screw button on thereby clamping the block in place. 

Just the awkward access putting me off. 

21 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

So when you say 'tilting forward', which way is it tilting?   Are you talking about a tilt in the same direction as neck dive (isn't that just neck dive?) or that the top edge of the body is leaning away from you?  Or something else?

I ask because the possible solutions are different in each case.

In terms of whether the top horn would take a button screw, the answer is 'probably' unless the whole of the sides are made of thin bent laminate.

Morning and thanks for your interest..... It's the upper horn tilting forward away from my mid rif/chest and not the left drop neck tilt. It is sitting forward which is giving me issues with seeing the fret board and is just uncomfortable. I am able to use my right forearm to pull it back but it just feels wrong as its fighting to lean forward..... :)

1 hour ago, Mike Byrne said:

Morning and thanks for your interest..... It's the upper horn tilting forward away from my mid rif/chest and not the left drop neck tilt. It is sitting forward which is giving me issues with seeing the fret board and is just uncomfortable. I am able to use my right forearm to pull it back but it just feels wrong as its fighting to lean forward..... :)

OK - thanks

Yes - what you are considering will help because it will pull the top of bass body closer into your chest.  As I mentioned earlier, the button screw should be OK there.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Mike Bungo said:

Well I've done it.....a small hole drilled into what is not a deep laminate. I've added some PVA in with the screw and it seems fine. In time if it should work loose then

I will look to add a small block behind the upper horn but up to now it seems fine :)

a.jpg

b.jpg

Beautiful bass mate - I took the plunge too. So far my Aria has held up, great to actually gig it in comfort at last. 

IMG_20191224_123006.jpg

• Like 2

Yeh, That epoxy thing looks like a better plan. I was mostly just popping in to say that if you use a normal screw through the laminate and the block you're hoping to glue clamp in then it wouldn't deliver a clamping force unless you add the strap button at the same time *and* have the hole in the laminate oversized so the screw threads don't bite into it.