Why become a member? ×

How I Got The Gig

Bluewine

I thought this video deserved its own thread . If you have 10 minutes watch it. I would love to hear what you think.

Is her approach realistic for young people persueing a pro performance career. Did she just get lucky or incredibly talented for what she does or really understood the business at a granular level she was destined to make it.

Do you know anyone with her knowledge skill focus direction or skill? I don't

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

I think that you have to realise that she didn’t just get to where she is by accident. As she said, to get the Alice gig she was in the right place at the right time, but she had been knocking around LA for quite a while, increasing her profile and always looking for the big gig. There are dozens of similar guitar players round LA, all turning up for the same auditions and competing to get the next step up on the ladder. She did all the right things and gave herself the best possible chance, so it's no surprise that eventually she got the break and got the gig – good luck to her!

You do have to note that she does focus on the whole package and not just playing guitar. She has certainly perfected the look and probably spends as much time in the gym as practising guitar (I have also seen her on videos talking in detail about working out and nutrition). To get these gigs, it’s not about if you can play (it’s almost taken for granted that you are a top player). It is just as much about the look, the image and the attitude.

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, peteb said:

You do have to note that she does focus on the whole package and not just playing guitar. She has certainly perfected the look and probably spends as much time in the gym as practising guitar (I have also seen her on videos talking in detail about working out and nutrition). To get these gigs, it’s not about if you can play (it’s almost taken for granted that you are a top player). It is just as much about the look, the image and the attitude.

I find it fascinating and Nita is a great example of this. Is she just social media'ing what she does in her spare time for the good of her fans or creating second income streams that a touring musician needs? Let's face it Alice will retire soon, she still needs to eat and pay rent long after so creating awareness of her drives up demand for her services. Everywhere she tours with Alice Cooper she's giving guitar master classes in guitar shops and promoting her solo material, she's definitely putting the hours in but also keeping her name out there. I respect it, seems very clever, and of course it's all backed up by supreme talent, fair play to her, seems like the template for the working muso in the social media age. 

• Like 2

On 02/12/2019 at 17:01, peteb said:

I think that you have to realise that she didn’t just get to where she is by accident. As she said, to get the Alice gig she was in the right place at the right time, but she had been knocking around LA for quite a while, increasing her profile and always looking for the big gig. There are dozens of similar guitar players round LA, all turning up for the same auditions and competing to get the next step up on the ladder. She did all the right things and gave herself the best possible chance, so it's no surprise that eventually she got the break and got the gig – good luck to her!

Hi Pete,

I couldn't have said it better.

I'll add this. Everybody doesn't know Kip Winger personally. He got the ball rolling to get her the Alice Cooper gig.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

18 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I find it fascinating and Nita is a great example of this. Is she just social media'ing what she does in her spare time for the good of her fans or creating second income streams that a touring musician needs? Let's face it Alice will retire soon, she still needs to eat and pay rent long after so creating awareness of her drives up demand for her services. Everywhere she tours with Alice Cooper she's giving guitar master classes in guitar shops and promoting her solo material, she's definitely putting the hours in but also keeping her name out there. I respect it, seems very clever, and of course it's all backed up by supreme talent, fair play to her, seems like the template for the working muso in the social media age. 

She has a deal with Ibanez and the Alice Cooper Band does shows on their own too.

She's certainly fun to watch.

Blue