Why become a member? ×

Vintage refinish project

PaulKing

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2019 at 15:33, PaulKing said:

I'm gonna have to put the tent up in the garden and lacquer it out there. Or we're all going to hospital.

Already wearing storm-trooper gas mask while spraying...  It's going to take a LOT of lacquer. 2-3 cans for a telecaster? Go figure....

I was going to say please tell me you're not spraying it there. 

If you want to eat the paint then feel free but those guitars don't deserve a misting of overspray. 😉

You're probably aware but if spraying in the garden at this time of year, watch out for cold/damp atmosphere, it can make the lacquer bloom, it turns milky opaque looking. I've done guitar bodies when it's been too cold but bringing them straight indoors after spraying to dry works, not so easy with an upright but worth doing if you can. 

Looking forward to the next set of pictures. 

👍

😃

Oh and Maude - thanks for top advice!

yeh, Steve at Manchester Guitar Tech had good instructions about cold wet weather blooms... and you know in the end I’ve risked doing it indoors. I get a good seal on the door in the room (bed sheet wrapped around it and a blanket across the bottom), windows wide open, I have a proper vapour mask which is 100% effective... and all the junk in the room (including vintage basses 😱), well it’s only dust. They are getting a little dusting but it is dry and brushes off.

My wife ain’t that happy but she’s putting up with me... so long as I don’t spray in the evening. There is a bit of a whiff for 20mins after I’ve opened the door, but it’s very slight.

• Like 1