Why become a member? ×

"I really wanted to play your guitar" (tanked up punters)

Guest MoJo

I can't say that I've ever had a member of the public approach me at any point during a performance to request a “go" on my bass guitar...  I almost feel as though I'm “missing out"...

I wonder if it might have something to do with my attire... :scratch_one-s_head:

652a0c2143c34620982dc1d58e866a6b79a0b05c_hq.jpg

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
because nobody wants to play with me...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

Some people should not be allowed out as they do not know how to behave in public.  I think I may have mentioned these incidences before but just in case;  I was chatting to a singer who told me that in the middle of a song a punter came to the front of the stage and asked if he had change for the juke box.  Then there was the lovely female singer doing a brilliant version of "The Power Of Love" (Jennifer Rush song) and some guy walked across the front of the audience, stopped and turned back to look at his mates and shouted, "Was it a pint of bitter, Dave?"  There are times when I give up with some members of the public!

If they're not tanked up I do indulge some people. Like the bar staff where the girl is explaining to the others what a Fretless is because her dad plays, so I handed the bass over the bar for them to look at, that really shocked them in to behaving and not trying to make innuendo out of "smooth tones" etc. But if they're hammered and "my mate is better than you" they get my Northern accent. You won't like when I speak Northern. 

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Do you measure the success of a band on the quantity, or the quality, of its followers?

With the function/covers band neither, just how many bookings we have in the diary. With the originals band(s), I'd take either as long as they showed up... 🙂

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I always mute the PA at everytime that we aren't using it, half time and as soon as we stop. 

We often get the drunk person who gets up to sing but there isn't much distance between me and the singer, and if they try coming up there, they are going to get a bass to the back of the head. 

Oh, it was all off and mostly disassembled (hence the XLR-coiling)...not that they noticed...

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Oh, it was all off and mostly disassembled (hence the XLR-coiling)...not that they noticed...

We have that at the end. We finish (after the 5 one more songs). Put the instruments away and we are taking the PA of the poles when some guys come up with 'oh one more song guys)

9 hours ago, Muzz said:

I've had requests to 'just plug it back in and play xxxxx for us' whilst carrying a subwoofer between pub door and car.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 17:06, Dan Dare said:

My standard reply to the "Can I play your instrument?" question is "Can I have the keys to your car?" They both probably cost about the same when you factor in my rig.

Reminds me of a tale I've told before on this forum.

Back in Yorkshire we did a Wedding at a posh venue for someone our female singer knew and was associated with music. Inbetween sets we were asked if the groom and a  couple of his mates could do some songs after we had finished our second set. The guy who wanted to play my Bass had obviously enjoyed some of the refreshments and asked me if it was OK. I responded with 'Fine,as long as you give me the keys to your car' This took him aback and he did not understand why I was asking for his keys. I explained if any damage was caused to my Bass or rig, it would give me some collateral to negotiate restitution. In the end I relented and they were very accomplished players, I found out later 2 of them played for Embrace.....

• Haha 5

On 02/12/2019 at 17:45, Ted Theodore Logan, III said:

I can't say that I've ever had a member of the public approach me at any point during a performance to request a “go" on my bass guitar...  I almost feel as though I'm “missing out"...

I wonder if it might have something to do with my attire... :scratch_one-s_head:

652a0c2143c34620982dc1d58e866a6b79a0b05c_hq.jpg

No, it's because you've got 1 too many strings - even p!ssed-up punters know that a bass should only ever have 4 strings. :)

Edited by darkandrew
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, darkandrew said:

No, it's because you've got 1 too many strings - even p!ssed-up punters know that a bass should only ever have 4 strings. :)

The full rule is "basses should only ever have 4 strings, apart from the ones that don't".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

The full rule is "basses should only ever have 4 strings, apart from the ones that don't".

Ah yes, the age-old rule;

“all instruments should be considered a bass unless proven otherwise"

Screenshot_20191205-080856.png

“THE GUY AT THE STORE ASSURED ME THAT THIS WAS A BASS GUITAR!!!"

“It's whatever you want it to be, my friend... It's whatever you want it to be...."

Edited by Ted Theodore Logan, III
because the rabbit made him

Just now, fretmeister said:

My stock response.

"Can I have a go on your guitar?"

"Only if I can have a go on your girlfriend."

Does the trick.

Actually that reminded me of a time a now sadly departed friend of mine used that line and continued....

"Wait is that your girlfriend?"

"Yes"

"No deal."

Punter stormed off in a right huff!

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I've never had anyone ask to play my bass or use my amp.

Blue

I've never been asked either, and I'm based in the UK. I think its because the OP (and a lot of the following posts too) assume a small-ish pub, probably with no raised stage area; there are other kinds of venues.