Why become a member? ×

Your first ever gig (at least that you have footage for!)

Al Krow

Do you remember when
You remember, you remember when you nearly lost your mind
There was something so pleasant about that place
Even your emotions have an echo in so much space...

My first gig was actually a long time ago, when I was 17 and foolishly on lead guitar and portable video cameras were still 2 years away from being released.

Decades passed and the first gig that I played in as a bass player was this one at a venue in Camden that was subsequently closed down! The band is still going strong; it's been through a few line up changes, but the two founder members are still very much involved and loving it.

Feeling brave and / or nostalgic? Please share footage of the earliest gigs you have video clips of!

• Like 2

I tried to upload some footage but YouTube is refusing to allow me. I guess YouTube knows better :)

It was some of my old band, swagger-core pioneers, Bloodbath Callaghan and The WarCrimes. Essentially scumbag rock'n'roll/punk/garage rock nonsense played my men in cheap suits! I'll persevere with it!

54 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

LOL! In those days I was only using my index finger like James Robertson! My RH technique is now utterly different.

Actually really liked that!

More than a passing John Lennon resemblance with the shades. I once sported a similarly slender waist line, but there has since been the odd few million calories consumed and not quite so many of them burned off in my case...

9 minutes ago, krispn said:

...I'll persevere with it!

Yes please do! 

• Haha 1

On 01/12/2019 at 22:23, Al Krow said:

More than a passing John Lennon resemblance with the shades

Funny you should say that - but I was looking at the way the guitarist was strumming thinking that his style is pretty much a verbatim copy of John's.

• Haha 1

My first gig was caught on mini disc. No video cameras through.

I think my first video recorded gig was with me on keyboards wearing a very, very tight black spandex top with an atom logo on it. I was hiding behind keyboards and playing the keys for a law society ball for Oxford University. Hopefully that VHS never surfaces.

If anybody finds any photographs/video of a Oxford University law society ball with a keys player wearing a very, very tight black spandex top with an atom logo on, it ain't me... ok? 😛

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 1