Why become a member? ×

Ashdown - or up?

lownote

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the valves in my spyder there last week and had a rehearsal tonight where I got a chance to push it a bit. This thing sounds incredible when the gain is cranked up. While not exactly overdriven it produces a really edgy “jean-Jacques Brunel” kinda tone with a p bass and pick. My band mates were really impressed. I actually prefer the sound out of this to my ctm100 probably because of the sheer driving force of the solid state back end. It’s a great combination imo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

I saw pictures of colored Rootmaster cabinets somewhere . Are they still made ? I would like the light blue or surf green color on some RM 410 cabinets.

You can buy the RM 210 and 115 on the Ashdown website in different colours. Unfortunately, it looks like they only do custom covers on those two models though. Could be worth an email to them to see what they say? 

8 hours ago, Quilly said:

Replaced the valves in my spyder there last week and had a rehearsal tonight where I got a chance to push it a bit. This thing sounds incredible when the gain is cranked up. While not exactly overdriven it produces a really edgy “jean-Jacques Brunel” kinda tone with a p bass and pick. My band mates were really impressed. I actually prefer the sound out of this to my ctm100 probably because of the sheer driving force of the solid state back end. It’s a great combination imo.

Really pleased to see you’re getting on with it John :) Though this post kinda makes me want it back 🤣

Mind you, I did some recording yesterday and the CTM100 brought the thunder beautifully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Really pleased to see you’re getting on with it John :) Though this post kinda makes me want it back 🤣

Mind you, I did some recording yesterday and the CTM100 brought the thunder beautifully.

Kinda scratching my head as to what to do with the ctm100 now 🤔?. The spyder kinda does what I wanted from the ctm100 with more headroom to drive smaller cabs and less hassle or maintenance. I can’t see myself ever selling the ctm either though, it’s too much of a rare beast and I think they’re only going to increase in value down the road. I do think the vintage barefaced 10” series cabs and the Ashdown valve heads are a perfect match.

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

About 10 years ago I had an ABM 500 III which, although I loved the sound of it, just wasn't loud enough through the (very heavy) ABM 15 cab I also owned at the time.

So I bought a TC electronic classic 450 and a TC 212.

I didn't like the TC head and because I liked the Ashdown sound bought their brand new MiBass class D head. Which I really liked and went well with the Barefaced Compact I then bought.

I went off on a bit of a tangent, by buying a GK MB500 head (which is exceptionally loud) but a few months a go I saw an Ashdown ABM 500 III (made in the UK) going cheap on ebay and managed to buy it for the stupidly low price of £134.

It sounds as good as I remembered it sounding.

I haven't had the chance to fire it up and play it loud, as most of our gigs have backline provided by the venue but I'm sure it will sound fantastic through my Compact once I do.

Great amps..

Edited by gjones

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Kinda scratching my head as to what to do with the ctm100 now 🤔?. The spyder kinda does what I wanted from the ctm100 with more headroom to drive smaller cabs and less hassle or maintenance. I can’t see myself ever selling the ctm either though, it’s too much of a rare beast and I think they’re only going to increase in value down the road. I do think the vintage barefaced 10” series cabs and the Ashdown valve heads are a perfect match.

If you don't know what to do with it but don't want to sell your CTM100 then you'd obviously be more than welcome to lend it to me and I can look after it for you. It honestly wouldn't be any trouble at all. 😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Painy said:

If you don't know what to do with it but don't want to sell your CTM100 then you'd obviously be more than welcome to lend it to me and I can look after it for you. It honestly wouldn't be any trouble at all. 😁

It would be a beast to courier 🤣 and would probably arrive in the UK sounding like a dropped thermos flask 😭

Edited by Quilly
Typo
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, gjones said:

About 10 years ago I had an ABM 500 III which, although I loved the sound of it, just wasn't loud enough through the (very heavy) ABM 15 cab I also owned at the time.

So I bought a TC electronic classic 450 and a TC 212.

I didn't like the TC head and because I liked the Ashdown sound bought their brand new MiBass class D head. Which I really liked and went well with the Barefaced Compact I then bought.

I went off on a bit of a tangent, by buying a GK MB500 head (which is exceptionally loud) but a few months a go I saw an Ashdown ABM 500 III (made in the UK) going cheap on ebay and managed to buy it for the stupidly cheap price of £134.

It sounds as good as I remembered it sounding.

I haven't had the chance to fire it up and play it loud, as most of our gigs have backline provided by the venue but I'm sure it will sound fantastic through my Compact once I do.

Great amps..

My 500w Ashdown spyder is very loud. I wouldn’t say it’s louder than my trace Elliot 500w amp though. Those things are just brutally loud. There’s a saying, there’s Watts and there’s Trace watts .

• 3 weeks later...

Using this set up at reasonably loud rehearsal tonight.  The amp is a CTM100 through a since discontinued 2x15 Schroeder cab (one of the speakers is at an angle hence it looks smaller than a 215) the cab is rated at 800w, far in excess of what I need but it has a good SPL rating of 103 (if you can believe that specology) anyway amp only up at around gain -5 volume -6.  I was told to turn it down . It has a lovely edgy tone. The ‘mellow’ button made the room vibrate 😂

6905502F-1EF7-40B1-8E19-E419DDC77CEF.jpeg

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Quilly said:

Using this set up at reasonably loud rehearsal tonight.  The amp is a CTM100 through a since discontinued 2x15 Schroeder cab (one of the speakers is at an angle hence it looks smaller than a 215) the cab is rated at 800w, far in excess of what I need but it has a good SPL rating of 103 (if you can believe that specology) anyway amp only up at around gain -5 volume -6.  I was told to turn it down . It has a lovely edgy tone. The ‘mellow’ button made the room vibrate 😂

6905502F-1EF7-40B1-8E19-E419DDC77CEF.jpeg

Some day I might add the Barefaced Two10 and use the 2 ohm out..just to really annoy my bandmates. 😁 

Ive not been a fan of Ashdown since getting a ABM head years ago. Loved my EB and MAG combos before it though. Tried/used a few ABM's since and never liked them. I just form the ABM' to sound too round and lacking in power compared to similar rated heads. Even in to my Schroeder 1212L it lacked the volume and punch my MB Little mark II put out. 

Today i was blown away with a mates new Original HD-1. We compared it with my Fender Rumble and his new MB Little Mark Valve, and even at living room legal this gave us a kick in the chest. This was first in to the amps cab (its a combo), and then direct in to my Berg CN212. 

What also struck us was how loud this little head is, especially in to my 212. He normally runs the combo with an external 1x12 at 4 on the master. We couldn't get it over two in to my cab. Cabs aside, this head was a real eye opener. 

There is a 500watt version out soon, and if my return to GK doesnt work out ill be going back to Ashdown. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Not played one but the look of the OriginAL has put me off of it, the new 500 slightly better but still a bit ugly. 

Screenshot_20200120-002351_Instagram.thumb.jpg.ab4376ab4f5914ba50d30823c24d9bf1.jpg

Shame as the some of the new lines of pedals and amps from Ashdown are looking great.  Just seen a pic on instagram of the new ABM 600, that and the new CTM 200 look pretty tasty.

Screenshot_20200120-002025_Instagram.thumb.jpg.750de02e7a4c3737a016563430fe5590.jpg

I like the look of the new Original, based on that it looks, well original whereas most amps have a very similar look. I’ll certainly be interested in hearing one as although I love my RM500 v2, the added valveyness of the Original way we’ll be to much of a temptation.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I like the look of the new Original, based on that it looks, well original whereas most amps have a very similar look. I’ll certainly be interested in hearing one as although I love my RM500 v2, the added valveyness of the Original way we’ll be to much of a temptation.

What puts me off the Original heads is they seem needlessly tall. Having seen the 300watt version i can see id have issues getting it in to my gig bag. Its small, but takes up more room than it should IMO.

19 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The OriginAL head is pure solid state and clean, it’s only the OriginAL pedal which has the valve in it I think?

36 minutes ago, Merton said:

The OriginAL head is pure solid state and clean, it’s only the OriginAL pedal which has the valve in it I think?

23 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yep. No valves in the heads.

You live & learn, puts a slightly different perspective on it, which is nice.

1 hour ago, Merton said:

FWIW I’ve asked Mark Gooday in the past about doing a valve preamp/Class D power module head but he said it’s not on their radar for the time being. Which is a shame, a CTM preamp with the RM800 power section would be my go-to!

Spot on!  That's exactly what I wish @Ashdown Engineering would develop.  Seems a lot of other amp manufacturers have been doing this: Mesa and Ampeg IIRC.

50 minutes ago, Merton said:

To be fair the RM does a pretty lovely impression of a driven valve preamp with the Drive control so I can understand why there’s no desire to cram valves in. I can guarantee I’d be first in line if they change their mind though ;)

And me.

• Like 1