Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

I did commit to updates on the 'legal' purchase.  Here it is on the right (next to the prototype) just needing the pickups and string tree to arrive.

1947174396_20200820LR.thumb.jpg.7f55cde9d42c454a67d6622ba4f694b0.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, invertigo said:

Wondering if purchasing paints and tools to build a kit that was gifted to me counts as a fail... Technically the tools are useful for many things, but the paint less so and already used up...

🤔.  I think you’re safe. 😃

58 minutes ago, invertigo said:

Wondering if purchasing paints and tools to build a kit that was gifted to me counts as a fail... Technically the tools are useful for many things, but the paint less so and already used up...

As per the rules - you're out if the purchase sits in the signal chain or affects the sound.  So unless you are really sloppy and have paint in the sockets, or it's such a thick coat that it affects the sustain, I vote you are OK. Though there was something about presents in the small print too. Did you choose the kit?

11 hours ago, ead said:

I did commit to updates on the 'legal' purchase.  Here it is on the right (next to the prototype) just needing the pickups and string tree to arrive.

I was in a long meeting last week and when not required directly I was  designing a bass with a black body and wood pickgaurd.  That swooping shape is much nicer than I came up with!
Is it proprietary and would the luthier mind if I copied it?

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

I was in a long meeting last week and when not required directly I was  designing a bass with a black body and wood pickgaurd.  That swooping shape is much nicer than I came up with!

I can't comment on whether the design has been registered or not, no whether the luthier (Alpher) would mind.  Maybe you might contact them?

22 hours ago, ead said:

Sweet, is this your first Alpher? 

I have played Chris's original bass and it's great, you are in for a mega treat! 

10 hours ago, Richard R said:

Fairly certain Chris & Al wouldn't want their designs copied. They are great guys though so give them a shout, I'm sure they will let you know if it's OK or not. Chris is on here

@CHRISDABASS

1 hour ago, Crawford13 said:

I have played Chris's original bass and it's great, you are in for a mega treat! 

It is my first Alpher.  I had a play the prototype at a show up here a couple of years ago and was massively impressed with it.  Took me a while to save up some cash.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok....after shifting some stuff around that I’ve wanted to sell (and buy of course), I’m in for the next 6 months haha.

Basically I’ve said that I won’t buy any basses or amps until AT LEAST April 2021. I’ve no intention of buying pedals, but might buy a DIY kit.

Wish me luck lol

Si

• Like 1

Just now, Sibob said:

Ok....after shifting some stuff around that I’ve wanted to sell (and buy of course), I’m in for the next 6 months haha.

Basically I’ve said that I won’t buy any basses or amps until AT LEAST April 2021. I’ve no intention of buying pedals, but might buy a DIY kit.

Wish me luck lol

Si

Ha ha ha. Does that amount of luck even exist? 😂

• Haha 1

On 21/08/2020 at 22:20, ead said:

It is my first Alpher.  I had a play the prototype at a show up here a couple of years ago and was massively impressed with it.  Took me a while to save up some cash.

I have asked what the price on a 5 string like that was already. Not going to get one.. not going to get one.. not going to get one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I have asked what the price on a 5 string like that was already. Not going to get one.. not going to get one.. not going to get one...

I highly recommend that you should .  Mine due to be finished in a week or two all being well....

Pic just in case it helps :)

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/08/2020 at 20:27, Crawford13 said:

They look sensational............would love to hear what they sound like and the specs......

Edited by ProfJames

I'm out. Snapped up a cheap EUB from the marketplace. I'd been toying with trying an EUB for a while, but couldn't justify the price and didn't really want the hassle of moving it on if I didn't take to it. But £140 isn't going to break the bank. Still, at least I made it to the end of September!

(I've also bought a PA, camcorder and lighting rig but was going to claim a pass for those on the basis that they're for the whole band, not just me.) 

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

They look sensational............would love to hear what they sound like and the specs......

The specs on this one are:

Body

One piece rippled Sycamore with Callinda (burnt) finish

Aged brass pickguards

Finish

Satin

Scale length

34”

Neck

Wenge

Fretboard

Wenge

21 frets - Jescar FW55090 EVO Gold

Radius

12”

Side dots

Luminlay

Bridge

Hipshot “Kickass” bridge

Electronics

Passive V/V/T

Pickups

2x Nordstrand hum cancelling 51P pickups

Strap locks

Dunlop Dual Design

Tuners

Hipshot Ultralite lollipop style tuners

Hardware colour

Black

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Would love to hear it when you get it.......... great website with a huge array of options.  That looks so sharp, when does it arrive?

Hopefully very soon.  Forecast was the end of the month so fingers crossed.

I'll sort out some recordings but please bear in mind my paying is a best absolutely average :(