Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

😁

Congrats! I thought that was a head turningly good looking bass from the moment I spotted it (as I commented on the FS thread)! If Fender could be persuaded to make a 5 string version of that exact bass I would be on it like a shot - huge fan of PJs these days. Enjoy! 

I’m actually in the process of clearing out dead weight and unused items . Haven’t bought anything if significance yet this year ...but it just takes one ad.

It’s a more difficult to shift things I find . Trying to get out of that vicious cycle of losing money all the time  

Edited by Quilly

• 3 weeks later...

Lockdown boredome has done for my abstinance at long last. Have been playing 6 string guitar much more than usual and bought a couple of lovely (and cheap) pedals. I use a Roland Cube amp which has input for MP3 etc and headphones out so I can make a God awful racket without upsetting the neighbourhood. My new acquisitions are by Tone City and are a Dry Martini which is an OCD clone and a Bad Horse which is a Klon Centaur clone. On the lookout for a Tape Machine analogue delay pedal too. These are great sounding pedals which I picked up off Ebay for under £30 each.

On 18/04/2020 at 16:53, Crawford13 said:

I’m afraid I am out. I bought a new DI box. Of all the products to fall off the wagon for it’s something as simple as a DI box...

Hmm I might be back in after all. I may have been scammed with the DI box. The seller has not communicated at all and the email address on the paypal account doesn’t exist....

We will wait and see.

• Sad 2

I haven't bought anythng more than strings for probably the last two years and previous to that it was an amp to replace the one that died on me. 

I honestly thought I was cured of GAS until this lockdown, now I find myself thinking about it again but don't really have the funds to do anything about it, and I'm a bit stronger willed than I used to be 🙂 

Hopefully we'll be able to have rehearsals again in the not tooooo distant future and that will take my mind of it.  But as someone else said, it just takes one ad!

Edited by inthedoghouse
  • Like 3

I suspect I am sailing very close to the wind indeed - I've bought video recording gear, a couple of mixers and some lighting gear. And I'm also intending to relieve @la bam of his PA when I can travel to pick it up. Nothing for my signal chain between bass and mixer though (unless you count a replacement for a dead amp), but it may only be a matter of time...

I think I might have failed (again) as I have agreed to a bass swap to get shot of my final six string bass. It's all wrapped up in the corner waiting for the courier tomorrow.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Haha 1

I’ve utterly failed this year, buying equipment for gigs that aren’t now happening.

My restraint has so far permitted purchasing a Barefaced Big Twin 2, a Genz Benz Neo 2x12 and a Boss Octave pedal.

I’ll get my coat.

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Quilly said:

I don’t think I’ll last to the end of the year, seriously gassing at the moment for a new bass. But I’ll sell something first 

Well done on getting 6 months in though! 👍🏻

I've had a good mix of gear in and gear out. Lockdown started with me getting an Ashdown B-Social but I've also sold an Ashdown CTM100 and Barefaced Four10. I've also then managed to buy two new pedals and sell two others as well :D

Edited by Merton
smelling pistake
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Merton said:

I've had a good mix of gear in and gear out. Lockdown started with me getting an Ashdown B-Social but I've also sold an Ashdown CTM100 and Barefaced Four10. I've also then manage dot buy two new pedals and sell two others as well :D

Your sold them!?! .

I've a sale agreed on my CTM100. Was thinking of getting a CTM-30 with the proceeds by now I've got bass guitar gas. 😭  

Just now, Quilly said:

Your sold them!?! .

I've a sale agreed on my CTM100. Was thinking of getting a CTM-30 with the proceeds by now I've got bass guitar gas. 😭  

Yeah. Reality struck - they were just too large for the gigs I am likely to get again if we ever get back to normal. I put the money on a deposit for a new ACG though 

Go for a new bass ;) 

1 minute ago, Merton said:

Yeah. Reality struck - they were just too large for the gigs I am likely to get again if we ever get back to normal. I put the money on a deposit for a new ACG though 

Go for a new bass ;) 

Yeah I think I'm good for Amps and Cabs TBH. I think I "need" an MM-powerbucker type bass to complement my P and J. I miss my stingray that I stupidly let go for peanuts to Mark at bass direct for a pittance :dash1:    

26 minutes ago, martthebass said:

6 months in and still gear sober.  This is a record (since joining Bassworld.....).  So far I've managed to avoid the pull of a Status commission until the gigging outlook improves.

Ohhhh that’s will power.... you won’t regret a Status!! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, martthebass said:

6 months in and still gear sober.  This is a record (since joining Bassworld.....).  So far I've managed to avoid the pull of a Status commission until the gigging outlook improves.

I think you buy more stuff when you’re not gigging, probably out of boredom. When you’re gigging a bit, getting the songs right is a distraction from buying gear 

3 hours ago, bassfan said:

Ohhhh that’s will power.... you won’t regret a Status!! 

Had a Streamline in the past which I traded, I don't regret the trade but still miss the little un.  With what I'm looking at coming in at £2-3K though, even with the 'one in, one out' policy, until the gigs are reset, it's an expense I can't justify sadly.

10 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Had a Streamline in the past which I traded, I don't regret the trade but still miss the little un.  With what I'm looking at coming in at £2-3K though, even with the 'one in, one out' policy, until the gigs are reset, it's an expense I can't justify sadly.

I feel your pain.... I was the same with my sadowsky. But my will power is clearly not as good as yours. 😂

I’ll just leave this here.... 

6B2CE08A-E5BC-4033-9759-68A300947357.jpeg

• Haha 1