Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I confess I may have fallen off the wagon and state my case for your collective judgment.

Last December I returned a bass in exchange for a less expensive one (Fender professional Jazz/Fender deluxe Jazz). I was given gift vouchers for the difference in price, but have to use them within 4 months or loose them. So I spent a chunk on a line 6 G30.

Can this be classed as a purchase from last year as no new monies have been spent?

28 minutes ago, Storky said:

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I confess I may have fallen off the wagon and state my case for your collective judgment.

Last December I returned a bass in exchange for a less expensive one (Fender professional Jazz/Fender deluxe Jazz). I was given gift vouchers for the difference in price, but have to use them within 4 months or loose them. So I spent a chunk on a line 6 G30.

Can this be classed as a purchase from last year as no new monies have been spent?

I'm amazed.  I thought the amended rules covered all scenarios,  but here's a new one. It's like a fractal specification,  however close you look there is another level of complexity.

Best to be on the safe side, don't actually plug it into your signal chain. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Storky said:

Haha.
Considering the money was technically expended last year, and your hand has somewhat been forced by external parties, I would probably consider this a yellow-card offence only.
As you were ;)

Si

23 minutes ago, Machines said:

If I sell something I failed on (without financial loss) does that put me back to as if I had never failed to start with ? 🙄

That would be nice. But sadly nope, sorry - it was avoiding getting distracted by "new" bass gear in the first place that's the goal.

Otherwise we'd all be able (for the purpose of GAC 2020, obviously nothing stopping us doing that in real life!) to buy a bunch of used gear at bargain prices and enjoy it for 6 months and then if we're lucky enough to sell them on at a profit i.e. without financial loss, we'd still be in the game!

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Haha.
Considering the money was technically expended last year, and your hand has somewhat been forced by external parties, I would probably consider this a yellow-card offence only.
As you were ;)

Si

Thank you kind sir; I’ll consider myself yellow carded and try and do better in future. Now where’s that hair shirt, I had it here a minute ago. 🤔

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

How long has it been since the rest of my fellow trainee monks on this thread similarly made a surplus from gear sales & gig monies? 

I was in the black last year, in part due to the 2019 version of this thread! Very little chance of a repetition of than this year :(

Just now, FinnDave said:

I was in the black last year, in part due to the 2019 version of this thread! Very little chance of a repetition of than this year :(

I think a 5:2 diet would be perfect with this thread...2 years abstinence interspersed with 5 years back in the game!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just in case the Sandberg at the beginning of January and the Jazz bass acquired as a swap for an Ibby sixer  weren't enough to put me right out of the running this year, I've just dug an even deeper hole for myself by ordering a replacement for the Jack Casady bass I sold a couple of years ago. 

Perhaps there'll be an award for the most determined failure at resisting gear abstinence this year - three basses before the second month is out is a good start!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Well, just in case the Sandberg at the beginning of January and the Jazz bass acquired as a swap for an Ibby sixer  weren't enough to put me right out of the running this year, I've just dug an even deeper hole for myself by ordering a replacement for the Jack Casady bass I sold a couple of years ago. 

Perhaps there'll be an award for the most determined failure at resisting gear abstinence this year - three basses before the second month is out is a good start!

Dave it's not your fault at all, no it really isn't. Please don't blame yourself or beat yourself up about this. 

The blame must squarely be laid at the door of the educational establishment for not making clear what the meaning of the word "abstinence" was when it had the opportunity. The failure is more truly one of society as a whole, and your conscience should be absolved entirely. 

You never stood a chance, mate. It's shameful. We all must bear part of the guilt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

You never stood a chance, mate. It's shameful. We all must bear part of the guilt. 

Thank you, Al, that's a great comfort to me in this difficult time.

It would be even more of a comfort if you would all bear part of the cost of my misfortune though! :)

I basically haven’t started yet. This year has been a flurry of buying and selling in preparation for moving into my own place.

Once I’m there (in a couple of weeks), there will be zero purchases......because it simply won’t be possible financially lol.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

I basically haven’t started yet. This year has been a flurry of buying and selling in preparation for moving into my own place.

Once I’m there (in a couple of weeks), there will be zero purchases......because it simply won’t be possible financially lol.

Si

Well we can put you on the wait list for 2021 GAC then. My space will certainly be free in 10 months and 1 week's time 😂

• Like 1

Well folks - looks like a full 2 months under our belts and 17 / 24 of us are still standing!

This thread has actually been very helpful in avoiding new gear so far; I'm sure without it I would be snapping up that mint GM800 amp head in the FS right now! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well folks - looks like a full 2 months under our belts and 17 / 24 of us are still standing!

This thread has actually been very helpful in avoiding new gear so far; I'm sure without it I would be snapping up that mint GM800 amp head in the FS right now! 

Is that your roundabout way of saying you are having a wobble?? 😂 

In my defence, although I’m out, it was for a very small purchase 😂😂