Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

9 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Many thanks 👍. Rest assured, NBD photos will be issued.

Yeah, just not on this thread please 😂

For the avoidance of doubt this is NOT a NBD thread for folk who have a weird understanding of the word 'abstinence' 😁😁

• Haha 2

I mean, fair enough you sign up to give it a go and then you crash and burn (as we will all inevitably do by year end other than the trainee monks amongst us), seems entirely reasonable to show the offending piece of kit that caused you to stumble.

But not participating in the thread in the first place and then telling us struggling mortals who have signed up (we had another fallen brother just today, also a 'Dave', I guess there's a certain weakness to being a 'Dave') about your recent amazing bit of new gear, well what sort of kind and caring person does that, eh, eh? 😁

• Haha 1

So @bassfan are you adding Sibob as a "pre failed" starter a) 'cos he's a mod and they can do what they like 😁 and b) 'cos he understands the rules better than anyone as he invented the concept last year? 

If so, should any of the other trainee monks who slipped in the first few weeks be granted a second chance, if they want? You could maybe set up a tier two "2nd chancers' club"?

Young master Dave (aka @FinnDave) as opposed to slighter younger master Dave (aka @dave_bass5) claimed it was entirely down to bad timing and the fact that he had £1,800 burning a hole in his pocket whilst his wife was having her nails done that caused him to slip. That could have happened to anyone right?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

For my part, 25 days without any gear purchases...well that didn't happen at any point during 2019 so I'm already feeling very virtuous! Although I have a strange desire to upgrade my BF SC to a BB2...must resist, at least until a sliver cloth BB2 with a padded cover comes up in the FS - yes folks that's an invitation to PM me 😉

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Young master Dave (aka @FinnDave) as opposed to slighter younger master Dave (aka @dave_bass5) claimed it was entirely down to bad timing and the fact that he had £1,800 burning a hole in his pocket whilst his wife was having her nails done that caused him to slip. That could have happened to anyone right?

I would like my second offence to be taken into consideration yer 'onor. I did wilfully meet with another bass player, in Leicester, having taking there an Ibanez six string I was hoping to sell in order to recoup some of the 1850 squid (to be accurate) that PMT nicked off of me when I fell for the Sandberg, but did instead, wilfully and with my partner in grime, Ms Alice Aforethought, exchange said Ibby sixer for a Fender Jazz bass, even though I already had two perfectly good Fender Jazz basses at home.

Go easy on me….

• Haha 3

In my defence I'd like to state that i have no will power. It's a medical condition and ill try and get a note from my GP 🙂

I'm happy that i got the new head though. It wasnt a GAS thing at all, it is defiantly a need issue. I just couldn't fit my larger head in to the gig bag. Yeah, i could have brought a larger gig bag, but then........

• Haha 1

I wonder if we might setup a slightly more friendly ‘Gear Watchers’ type setup. Instead of failing the year by purchasing, we list everyone taking part in the first post, then the month they’ve been ‘abstinent’ from next to it. You buy/acquire something, the month updates to the latest. That way, some of us might get to the end of the year with at least 2 or 3 months completed haha.

Less impressive, but perhaps more friendly to ourselves.

Si

• Like 3

UJust sold 2 pedals and a Roland keyboard stand . Thinking shout selling off a bass or 2 that have been sitting idle . This is it for me . Minimalism . Feels liberating 

however I will probably buy some sort of reverb pedal in the near future 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Quilly

After all my pontificating, I’m out . Bought a reverb pedal last night but in my defense it was something I was looking for for a while and it’s a used item.

I definitely think I’ll only buy used items from now on as far as possible. Thanks to this site and countless buy and sell Facebook pages I’ve come to realize the world is awash with impulse purchases. So I might be out of this group but at least I’m putting an unused item to good use . 

Haha indeed! 

Tbf I think when I stumble it's going to be very messy! Lots of tasty gear appearing on the horizon: 

- Ibanez headless basses

- GR featherlight cabs

- DG Neural DSP multifx

I'll just need to make sure that when I do the missus is getting her nails done so, like @FinnDave, I have a proper, genuine excuse 😂 

• Haha 1

I don't feel too bad about it. I think the important thing is to have what you need to get the sound you're after, plus I cleared out some stuff I wasn't using...which was nice. 

To go off the point a little,  I still think buying spanking new items on a whim is really a waste of money and resources and I wont be doing it anymore. You'd want to be mad to go out buying, say, a brand new Fender bass or SVT for example when they appear almost everyday for sale on this site and others, unused and at worst case in need of light servicing (which is part of the fun IMO). And you know....Mother earth is heating and all that stuff.

Image result for dave angel

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I’m Out. Not on one of the big purchases I want but on a rather nice little drop pedal that I’ve wanted to try for a while, more necessity than want actually for a couple of songs! 

Aww man, you could have saved yourself a few quid by programming as many drops as you need on your Helix HX; it does it exceedingly well. (Too late to back out of your purchase?)

We're now a leaderless bunch with our chief monk having fornicated. It's Sibob 2019 all over again...😁

Moi? I'm in danger of getting through a whole month without any new gear purchases (amazing!), although there is a headless bass in the FS that has me sorely tempted!

I'm still going strong but i am waiting (read as hoping) a Cog Grand Tarkin will appear in the calssifieds for a good price, although this may be a passing whim and i'll get over it without buying one. especially seeing as i have a green big muff clone with blend already on my board which i would replace with the cog if it was better even though i'm happy with the current pedal...

i may have just rambled alot and talked myself out of getting one. the power of the Absitnence thread!

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

I’m Out. Not on one of the big purchases I want but on a rather nice little drop pedal that I’ve wanted to try for a while, more necessity than want actually for a couple of songs! 

I guess my real disappointment here is seeing our leader dropped by a Digitech pedal.

I was expecting a man of bassfan's calibre and class to be felled by something amazing like a new custom Shuker bass or similar. But nope, it's an used Digitech pedal...

*sigh*

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I guess my real disappointment here is seeing our leader dropped by a Digitech pedal.

I was expecting a man of bassfan's calibre and class to be felled by something amazing like a new custom Shuker bass or similar. But nope, it's an used Digitech pedal...

*sigh*

I’m not sure how I’ve got to the lofty heights of those expectations but I like it! Very true I was looking at another shuker and I’m still very much looking to get another amp, cab and possibly bass but that’s all funds pending. Dont knock the little digitech pedal might turn out to be a keeper. 😉

Sorry to have disappointed 😂 

Edited by bassfan
Corrected stupid autocorrect
  • Haha 1