Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

Simon - I would offer you my spare (cheapo) one. Except that it was consistently a little bit sharp or flat (can't remember now) - but fine when you made a mental note to adjust. And it's a plug in not a pedal.

If you're interested despite the health warning PM me and I'll pop it in the post.

image.png.1842e35d7012740bcf91ccca5af1fa13.png

Edited by Al Krow

Thanks for the offer @Al Krow  really appreciate it but just messaged one of the lads in the band asking for his opinion on what i should get and he has a spare tuner that he doesn't want (polytune 3, downsized to a polytune mini)

so free tuner decent tuner is waiting for me at next practice.

Just now, simon88wilson said:

Thanks for the offer @Al Krow  really appreciate it but just messaged one of the lads in the band asking for his opinion on what i should get and he has a spare tuner that he doesn't want (polytune 3, downsized to a polytune mini)

so free tuner decent tuner is waiting for me at next practice.

👍

3 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I haven't bought anything this year but this waiting business is a killer and driving me towards the classifieds more frequently than is healthy. Surely this doesn't count as a 2020 item?

image.png.82ab6afcf15dc793e9379b04398f35b9.png

Def doesn’t count. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Brief recap of the rules:

- No outright purchases (including deposits) *

- No trades, even if no actual money changes hands. You’re still seeking to acquire gear.

- Strings, picks and consumables allowed (within reason, long-term accessories like a new strap aren’t allowed)

- Educational purchases (books, courses etc) are allowed 

- Replacement of a broken thing is allowed 

*Nuances: If you paid for something in 2019, you may take delivery of it in 2020. If you deposited for something in 2019, you can pay the balance in 2020, but you’re on a yellow card 😉.

Si

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

- No trades, even if no actual money changes hands. You’re still seeking to acquire gear.

The only question I'd have relates to the trades point - which seems to be the most controversial area by far!

Where you trade something for another piece of gear that you actually want and are going to be using => clearly you've just got yourself a new piece of gear! ("Trade to keep")

That seems to me to be quite different to where you have something up for sale but the buyer only takes it off your hands in part-ex e.g. cos they don't have the £readies and no else has made you a decent full cash offer. So you take a piece of kit as part payment knowing that you're not really going to be using it and will be moving it on as soon as you can. ("Trade for payment &  move on traded item")

What say we peeps?

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The only question I'd have relates to the trades point - which seems to be the most controversial area by far!

Where you trade something for another piece of gear that you actually want and are going to be using => clearly you've just got yourself a new piece of gear! ("Trade to keep")

That seems to me to be quite different to where you have something up for sale but the buyer only takes it off your hands in part-ex e.g. cos they don't have the £readies and no else has made you a decent full cash offer. So you take a piece of kit as part payment knowing that you're not really going to be using it and will be moving it on as soon as you can. ("Trade for payment &  move on traded item")

What say we peeps?

Isnt that just the norm on here when we buy something lol.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

I think I just fell off the wagon.....

I’ve got 14 days approval to decide whether to keep a new amp. I sold a couple of basses recently so I’ve had some money in the toy fund. It arrived yesterday and I played it thru the headphones all evening - I think it’s a keeper though. If there’s any such thing of course😊 

I’ll try it thru the speaker tonight and at a gig tomorrow night so I’ll know by the weekend.

Just now, Mudpup said:

I’ve got 14 days approval to decide whether to keep a new amp. I sold a couple of basses recently so I’ve had some money in the toy fund. It arrived yesterday and I played it thru the headphones all evening - I think it’s a keeper though. If there’s any such thing of course😊 

I’ll try it thru the speaker tonight and at a gig tomorrow night so I’ll know by the weekend.

Spill the beans 🙂

45 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

You just got a new piece of gear to try out? Haha you're defo out 😁

As Dave said, though, spill the beans and post a pic! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You just got a new piece of gear to try out? Haha you're defo out 😁

As Dave said, though, spill the beans and post a pic! 

Genzler Magellan 800..... (and I'm trying a Mesa D800 and Darkglass M900 on Saturday!) 

I'm doomed...... 😂😂😂

(Collects coat and shuffles shamefully out of the door....)  

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Genzler Magellan 800..... (and I'm trying a Mesa D800 and Darkglass M900 on Saturday!) 

I'm doomed...... 😂😂😂

Sounds like a great day out!! Sod the thread 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

I'm doomed...... 😂😂😂

Thats what i wanted to replace my Quilter BB800. Ended up with a Fender rumble 800, but i  may also look in to a DG M900 at some point. The Fender is nice, but lacks a bit of punch.

I used my Fender and CN212 at the Hop poles on Sat. More than enough volume and low end, but i want to give my GK a go with the CN212 as well.

Edited by dave_bass5