Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Always looking 🤣.

Did you sell that Precision?

The Custom Shop yeah, still have the ‘69 Oly white and the ‘71 with added Dimarzio J. One will be for sale soon 

• Sad 1

Four days in and I've failed spectacularly - I wandered in Oxford PMT today to kill time while my wife was having her nails permed (or something) and wandered out an hour later 1800 quid lighter and the owner of a rather splendid Sandberg bass - so that's me out for the year!

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Just now, FinnDave said:

Four days in and I've failed spectacularly - I wandered in Oxford PMT today to kill time while my wife was having her nails permed (or something) and wandered out an hour later 1800 quid lighter and the owner of a rather splendid Sandburg bass - so that's me out for the year!

Ah shame, but nice one! Chuck a pic up so we can see the offending article! Love a Sandberg bass

13 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Four days in and I've failed spectacularly - I wandered in Oxford PMT today to kill time while my wife was having her nails permed (or something) and wandered out an hour later 1800 quid lighter and the owner of a rather splendid Sandburg bass - so that's me out for the year!

And then there were 20...😄 

Well if you're going to fail, do it in style eh?! 

So you've gone from Ibanez to Sandberg (I headed in exactly the opposite direction!). But we're still both using BF SCs and avoiding compressors like unnecessary plague, so all is not lost. Haha!

Anyway congrats - and thanks for being first to drop on this challenge, it's very gracious of you to save the rest of us our blushes! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Four days in and I've failed spectacularly - I wandered in Oxford PMT today to kill time while my wife was having her nails permed (or something) and wandered out an hour later 1800 quid lighter and the owner of a rather splendid Sandberg bass - so that's me out for the year!

Have to fess that I had mini wobble this morning with news that Amazon were selling Bugera hybrid amps for £180 (25% off) which would have made for an amazingly good value back-up amp head, but I managed to persuade myself that if my amp ever failed and none of my amps have ever done so, touch wood, albeit over only 7 years, and that if they ever did it would be just as easy to DI through the PA. Phew...

Out of interest, were you thinking about getting a Sandberg for a while or was this a completely unexpected impulse buy?! 

I'm still reeling in shock at the loss of one of our brethren departing so soon and with such bright prospects ahead of him for lasting until, well into February.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest, were you thinking about getting a Sandberg for a while or was this a completely unexpected impulse buy?! 

I'm still reeling in shock at the loss of one of our brethren departing so soon and with such bright prospects ahead of him for lasting until, well into February.

I'd never even thought of buying a Sandberg, and I only went into PMT to kill some time while waiting for my wife. So yes, a completely unexpected impulse buy. I'm shocked by my recklessness as well!!

I just spent the last 90 mins playing it plugged into my Rootmaster 800/ Super Compact rig (at 'in the house  on a Sunday morning' level) and I don't think it's an impulse buy I shall regret - lovely balanced feel and sound. I'll try it out for a while, but it is very likely that I'll swap the original pre-amp for one of John East's little marvels - once tried, everything else is second rate - and I like to support local businesses :)

I'm unlikely to buy anything else major this year, I've blown the 2020 budget before the first week's out!

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I'd never even thought of buying a Sandberg, and I only went into PMT to kill some time while waiting for my wife. So yes, a completely unexpected impulse buy. I'm shocked by my recklessness as well!!

I just spent the last 90 mins playing it plugged into my Rootmaster 800/ Super Compact rig (at 'in the house  on a Sunday morning' level) and I don't think it's an impulse buy I shall regret - lovely balanced feel and sound. I'll try it out for a while, but it is very likely that I'll swap the original pre-amp for one of John East's little marvels - once tried, everything else is second rate - and I like to support local businesses :)

I'm unlikely to buy anything else major this year, I've blown the 2020 budget before the first week's out!

We should maybe have "two strikes and your out" sub group for folk who have only slipped once, although yours is about as spectacular, this side of getting a Wal, as it gets! 😂 

Lots of discussion about Bergs in the bass forum as I'm sure you'll have seen. The Delano pups and 2 band pre-amp being 'hi fi' is probably the single most opinion dividing issue - so agree with you about the J East pre and if you have Delanos in your Berg be interesting to see how you get on with them if you are moving from Nords in your Ibbys (less so, I guess, if you had Barts in your Ibbys).

Which model Berg did you go for?

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

We should maybe have "two strikes and your out" sub group for folk who have only slipped once, although yours is about as spectacular, this side of getting a Wal, as it gets! 😂 

Lots of discussion about Bergs in the bass forum as I'm sure you'll have seen. The Delano pups and 2 band pre-amp being 'hi fi' is probably the single most opinion dividing issue - so agree with you about the J East pre and if you have Delanos in your Berg be interesting to see how you get on with them if you are moving from Nords in your Ibbys (less so, I guess, if you had Barts in your Ibbys).

Which model Berg did you go for?

One of Ibbys has Nords, the other Barts. I've still got them, but they are up for sale.

I bought the Panther Special, natural woods and a three band EQ. I'm playing a low-key rehearsal and gig later today, so will find out how it sounds in that environment, but the best judge of it will be next week when I'll be playing a full rehearsal with the Dudes in Leicester. 

Hard to say how it compares to the Fenders I have as it is strung with the original steel round wounds, and the Fenders are using LaBella flats. I may well change to flats after today, just need to get used to it.

It has the most comfortable neck I can remember playing, everything just falls under the fingers. It was very hard to resist - so I didn't!

It looks like I may be out, trades on a couple of bits in the pipeline . Im not actually spending cash but rules are rules. I will confirm once the dirty deed is done. Oh and Sandbergs are lovely basses 🤘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Ahhh lovely - I now understand why you fell to temptation then! The Panther Special is a particularly gorgeous design and also very nearly had me 'snared' a couple of years back when one came up used in the FS section. 

I'll stick up a picture when there's a bit more light for me to take one.

On 04/01/2020 at 15:11, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Under quarantine at 'Hackenbacker Towers' with 🤢 and free reign on the internet. Dangerous times indeed.

In the same situation myself... it’s impossible 😐 

Between hacking coughs this weekend I’ve purchased a baby sumo and Fishman platinum pro to accompany it... 🤦‍♂️ 

...In a pitiful attempt at justification my setup is now a single carry though, with a One10 in each hand and my amp bits in the gigbag (utilising the mono tick).

Hopefully I’m better next week as I cant even spuriously justify anything else 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1