Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

16 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Not quite, but what I have done over the past few days is make a list of all the basses that I currently have. I then set about looking for every receipt/e-mail/PM I could find regarding the date of purchase, from who, serial numbers and most importantly - price paid for each instrument. It certainly gave some clarity around the fact I should not be buying another bass any time soon. I'm not suggesting it's everyone's cure for GAS (😂), but it's certainly made me think.

But you do have a fantastic bass collection! I dread to think what the total spend on your current collection is, but I'm guessing it starts with a "2"...

6 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

First day back at work.. and not got anything to do.

so I’ve spent all morning looking at basses and have major gas! I ended up buying strings to try and ease the issue 

Yup, given that strings are an allowed 'consumable' (aka nicotine patch) this could be the year we become world experts on different types of string - haha! 

Edited by Al Krow
Get my commas in the right place...
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crawford13 said:

I have just completed my 2019 arranged trade with @walshy so there will be no more new gear in my hands this year!😒

You've just been on a stand up comedy course haven't you? 😁

The point of this thread is surely not the winning, but the taking part?

And then failing spectacularly in about July.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You've just been on a stand up comedy course haven't you? 😁

The point of this thread is surely not the winning, but the taking part?

And then failing spectacularly in about July.

I think you are right... to be honest if I make it to July I will be pretty happy.

23 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oooh, nearly had a wobble. Ive  just been watching @Dood's  Spector review. Had i seen the cost first i wouldn't have bothered. Not a cheap bass. Very nice though,  but GAS gone. 

That particular example was stunning. Yeah, very nice!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oooh, nearly had a wobble. Ive  just been watching @Dood's  Spector review. Had i seen the cost first i wouldn't have bothered. Not a cheap bass. Very nice though,  but GAS gone. 

Yeah - I found buying a Spector has resulted in a lot bass GAS gone! Very helpful for GAC 2020. All about timing, right? 😁

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dood said:

That particular example was stunning. Yeah, very nice!!

Yeah. I know you mentioned it costs a bit at the start, but i waited until the video had finished to check the prices. Stupidly  i was thinking around £800-1000, but the fact that it was neck through should have said the obvious. 

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Which review is this please db5?

3 hours ago, walshy said:

Pretty much turning into a 2020 Gas thread 😂

With the exception of the 312 cab I want, the new amp and 2 custom Shukers  I’m gas free.... oh and I’d love a Sadowsky. 😂

Edited by bassfan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

With the exception of the 312 cab I want, the new amp and 2 custom shakers I’m gas free 😂😂

Unbelievably I am still in. Although my Alpher trade happened today and my Sabre and Bergantino cab trade arrive tomorrow ( all done before 2020) Bar that, I have no gas at all....🤣

I ventured to some different websites, you know, that Internet thing beyond basschat, and I bring you a quote which may perhaps be helpful for the abstinence challenge (although there is a bit there that can equally be GAS-inducing, oh well, you've been warned) here goes, quote is from Marcus Miller [original formatting]:

The bass players we admire most only played one bass

“When I think of the guys that really made an impact on me - Jaco [Pastorius] played a 1962 Jazz Bass, Stanley Clarke plays an Alembic bass, Victor Wooten plays that Fodera, Larry Graham plays a Fender Jazz Bass and James Jamerson played a Fender Precision.

“They didn’t walk around with five basses and say, 'For this song, I’m going to play my blahblahblah…’ They were connected to their instrument and their voice became that instrument. And this includes me, too, because I’ve been playing the same [Fender] Jazz Bass since my mom bought it for me in 1977. Although it’s really fun, and I have, like, 35 basses or something like that, I only really ever play one consistently.

“This is just something to consider. It’s not a rule, because music is music and there’s a lot of merit to switching basses, and sometimes I really have to fight the limitations of my Jazz Bass. Just consider that if you’re looking for an individual voice on your bass, you might not want to switch around so much.”

• Like 1

Wise words indeed.

I knew I was doing something wrong and finally now I know: I really must stop trying to play two basses at once. Besides my bandmates have often said they looked silly strewn across my diminutive frame, necks clattering.

One bass at a time it will be from now on!

• Haha 1