Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

Okaaayyy... I'm in, so I'd better get those IEMs ordered pronto. I thought I'd  breeze it last time, and I've ended up with a new Hercules stand, two more pedals, a 118 cab, a couple of widgets for my Steinberger, a Vox Amplug and a Zoom H2N recorder. Oh, and a keyboard that was going free on the Meadows Share. I think that freebies are exempt, though?

So I should be OK, unless we land a gig that needs me to add to my lighting rig, or I find that I can afford a Chowny NT5. Wish me luck...

36 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm not even going through the pretence. I'm already hankering for a foray into the world of 5 strings and it's not even Christmas yet. 

Ooh, that's a thought. 

If I buy one before new year, I can still try to convince myself I'm not going to buy anything next year. 😄

I went down that 5 string road,  gassed about it for years. Eventually bought a cracking Human Base, then it was like “now what?” Much preferred my 4 string Basses. If you really want those low notes consider a drop tuner or pitch shifter.

19 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Consumables don’t count right ? Leads strings , valves etc ?

That’s right Quilly... but if the strings come attached to a lump of wood and machine heads you are out 😂

Edited by bassfan
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I went down that 5 string road,  gassed about it for years. Eventually bought a cracking Human Base, then it was like “now what?” Much preferred my 4 string Basses. If you really want those low notes consider a drop tuner or pitch shifter.

Yeah I've never really felt the "need" for one, but I've recently started learning a lot more music theory, and I've kind of got to the stage of, now is as good a time as any. I might never actually play one live, but just as a tool / learning exercise I think it could be worth it. Plus I've just seen a dirt cheap 5er for sale locally. So it might be worth a punt. 

13 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I think us bassists suffer from gas the most. A lot of my guitar friends couldn’t care less what gear they have as long as it works 🤔

Could also be a forum thing. May old guitarist was happy with what he had for years, then joined a web forum like this and would turn up with new gear at almost every gig. 

8 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Okaaayyy... I'm in, so I'd better get those IEMs ordered pronto. I thought I'd  breeze it last time, and I've ended up with a new Hercules stand, two more pedals, a 118 cab, a couple of widgets for my Steinberger, a Vox Amplug and a Zoom H2N recorder. Oh, and a keyboard that was going free on the Meadows Share. I think that freebies are exempt, though?

So I should be OK, unless we land a gig that needs me to add to my lighting rig, or I find that I can afford a Chowny NT5. Wish me luck...

Damn! I wasn't even aware that Chowny were making a gorgeous neck-through 5 string, until your post. I thought this thread was about avoiding 2020 purchases? But I can't now un-know that fact and they look awesome! 3 band EQ, active / passive options, Aguilar humbuckers.

image.png.640b61fdb1f3f9929c9894a138796681.png

@Chownybass if you ever decide to make a  'deluxe' model in a more traditional 34" or 35" scale version with the ability to switch the humbuckers into single coil mode, for delivery of a more aggressive J bass tone when desired, please keep that a secret (certainly from the participants of this thread) until 2021...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Damn! I wasn't even aware that Chowny were making a gorgeous a neck-through 5 string, until your post. I thought this thread was about avoiding 2020 purchases? But I can't now un-know that fact and they look awesome!

It is awesome! I had a play with it at LBGS, and it's a gorgeous instrument - very easy to play, reasonable in the weight drpartment, well finished, nice light action and a lovely tone, at least as far as I could tell. The stand opposite was swamped with a bunch of Spinal Tap wannabes and I eventually had to stop because I was flinching from the noise, even with cans on. But in spite of that, I'm pretty much sold on it!

Ok after too much thought over it. I’m in. 

should really try to not buy anything this year. Seeing as this year I’ve bought three basses, two amps, two cabs and quite a few pedals. 
although I have a hankering for a shell pink jazz bass... (that I know I would never use and would be a waste of money) 

Currently negotiating on a couple of pedals in the FS that I totally don't need, but it's starting to dawn on me that the withdrawal symptoms of this 2020 gear abstinence thing are going to be brutal. 

I'm treating any new purchases between now and the end of the year as nicotine patches.

Even though I don't smoke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1