Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

Following on from last years ever popular abstinence thread (technically still this years at time of writing) started by @Sibob I thought I’d start another for the forthcoming year, not wishing to steal the idea from Si ! 

I made some bold claims last year and failed within a month.

I ended up buying an amp, cases, several basses, an in ear system, pedals ( I don’t even use effects!) and other sundries, and as far as my better half is concerned they all fall within the category of “necessity” or “strings” if she asks. 😂

So this year I don’t need an amp ( unless @Bergantino Audio Want to send me a BAmp for Xmas 😂) I don’t need basses, pedals or sundries. I casually explained this to some good friends on here and after they picked themselves up of the floor laughing they suggested I should start this years thread... so, here it is.

The same gauntlet thrown down, the same rules, there are no prizes, just a huge feeling of satisfaction in January 2021 when you go off on a buying frenzy for bass related gear  

GAME ON! 🏆

Its been suggested that as a bit of fun, I keep track of those who sign up and how long they last 😃 I might even throw down the challenge  @Al Krowand @walshyand @dave_bass5, although I fear the FS forums might collapse if I do!

Master List:

1. Bassfan OUT 29/01 Drop pedal
  2. Crawford13
  3. AngelDeVille
  4. Hiram.k.hackenbacker OUT
  5. Lozz196 OUT
  6. Al Krow OUT 20/03 I know it was earlier I’ll update again with actual date 😂
  7. Walshy OUT 06/01/2020. 2 trades. 
  8. dave_bass5 OUT 16/01/2020 GK MB200
  9. Si600 OUT
  10. FinnDave OUT 04/01/20 with a nice a sandberg and loads of other stuff!! 
  11. bassbiscuits OUT  loads of gear! 
  12. quilly OUT 26/01 Reverb pedal
  13. Lozkerr OUT pedal
  14. Chiliwailer OUT 23/02/2020 Lull PJ
  15. simon88wilson OUT
  16. invertigo
  17. Twigman
  18. Mudpup OUT berg cab feb ? 
  19. Trueno OUT pedal board
  20. micguy
  21. Merton
  22. MikanHannille
  23. jimmyb625 OUT
  24. Storky
Edited by bassfan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Haha - go on then, having very sensibly avoided it this year I'll see how far I get into Jan, before I succumb. Lol!

Actually, I guess the key measure (for me anyway) is not lasting throughout 2020, just lasting longer than @bassfan. Now how hard can that be?

And on the plus side there's a whole 30 days of shopping left in 2019...

😁

POST #6 Posted February 3 (edited)

Clearly have too much time on my hands first thing this morning...I thought it might be useful to put what's ok / not in one place, after our recent debates on the matter.

Here's how I've been approaching it (before I crash and burn in Feb 😁)

(BASS) GEAR ABSTINENCE CHALLENGE 2020 – RULES OF THE GAME

Why? To focus on making the most of the existing gear we have rather than get distracted by the next ‘shiny new thing’.

What’s a fail? Any purchase or trade of new or used bass gear. 'Bass gear' = anything in your signal chain that you use to make or augment your bass sound /tone.

• basses, amps, cabs, pedals, PA gear (if your bass is DI’d into this)

What’s ok? Anything to look after or organise your existing gear or wear & tear related. Any non-bass gear. 

• strings, gig bags, leads, pedal boards, PSUs for pedal boards, repairs or identical replacement of existing kit, lessons, software related to existing kit
  • non-bass musical gear (this came under a stricter Tier 2 for the completely hair shirted last year) e.g. music software not related to existing kit, keyboards, guitars, drum machines etc.

By concession: unsolicited gifts of gear where you had no say in the matter!

When? Any purchases between 1 Jan 2020 to 31 Dec 2020

Edited by Al Krow
2020 rules
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AngelDeVille said:

As long as there are no delays in the post I’m in, at least until the second week of January. 

Nah, you're all good. Sibob provided us with very detailed rules at the start of his 2019 thread. So provided you've ordered in 2019 you're safe!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AngelDeVille said:

Yeah but I have a lot on my wish list

Yeah me too. Just thinking about whether I should accelerate a possible purchase of the newly released Boss RC-10R before the 31/12/19 deadline. I've got a horrible suspicion this thread is going to mean I end up buying more gear, at higher prices ('cos I'm not waiting for sales or for them to come up used) to get them in before the deadline and then I fail in 2020 on about Jan 3rd anyway...

😁

• Haha 1

The rate I’m buying gear this week I should be selling only in 2020!!

But we all know about dreaded new year GAS! 
However I will give it a whirl, how hard can it be 🤪

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

In the interests of not derailing this one we should probably have a separate 2020 gear wish list thread 🤔 

Oh don't worry the 2020 gear wish list thread will be appearing on here sooner or later as we all individually fall like flies!

And just 'cos you're the OP doesn't give you any immunity as @Sibob will testify, despite getting a few purchases in before the 31 Dec 2018 deadline last year...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

I can’t, Not buy anything, so no point me even thinking about abstaining 😁

Yeah but you can pretend you can't not buy anything and then look daft like the rest of us. 

In 2021 this will be better known as the 'walk of shame' thread.

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh really?!!

Ok I'm feeling much better already about not being the first one to go down next year then 🤣

Look, if i have 3 white basses and buy a red one, and my GF doesnt even notice and i just say Ive had it for ages, do you think ill not get away with a lesser crime on here 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, bassfan said:

I’m starting a separate thread with a sweep stake on first out... 😂 I wouldn’t know who out of @Al Krowor @dave_bass5 Will be out first.. I’ll only name the month as January. 😂😂

Helix last month, Cab the month before, new gig bag last week, new amp arriving this week. I think I'm going to last at least a month or two. My downfall this year was FX pedals, i really am settled now i have the (2) Helix's .

I assume Stings don’t count, as I seem to get through them quite quickly.