Why become a member? ×

PJB user views and advice please

Soledad

The summary bit: might want a 47 or a C4, want advice re how they sound and what they can do. Anyone vaguely local let me have a play through either... that would be festive ;)
And I've placed a wanted on here in case anyone is moving one maybe.

SO

Interested in the use of clusters of smaller drivers. I want to create a small rig to replace a very good 210 combo (quite big, heavy). Main uses would be home, acoustic and lower level groups/collectives (the word band doesn't fit here really). So my basses with electro-acoustic guitars and various hippysh*t. I'd prefer a cab and head for flexibility, swap one out later if I want.
Plenty of decent class Ds around and I'd usually run through a Sansamp anyway.
SOUND - not looking for big volumes or massive bottom end of course, more a wide-band quite hi-fi purity. Fretless would feature quite a bit and that is all about the mids (and the flexibility to shape them). The fretted Jazz and P run EB flats, finger and occasionally pick. Again enough bottom end but good mids and moderate top (3-5k say). I'm wary of rear porting but will keep an open mind.

The PJB UK distributor is quite near me but I suspect they are just box shifters (I may try and contact them - Selectron in Sittingbourne). Apart from that Bass Direct is miles away and I can't find a dealer with stock more locally.

Thanking you all kindly.

I have two C4s and two 4Bs. I use them in varying quantities depending on how much noise I need to make. You do need several of the 5" driver cabs to shift air and produce real volume. The ones with 7" drivers, such as the CAB 47, have quite a bit more weight to the sound. I prefer the 5s slightly, but as I don't like tweeters for bass (the 47 has one), that's not really a surprise. The 7s are pretty fine, too. PJB cabs with 7s are cheaper, too, so you get more bang for your buck. Really, you need to find a dealer and try them side by side.

• Like 1

Thanks @Dan Dare - That's 2 PJB users told me they prefer the 5s, and given their extended high-mid/low top I'd be happy without a tweeter - I find them a bit forward and aggressive normally.
GuitarGuitar have an end-of-line 6B at a silly price at the mo but it's just a bit too big and also relatively weighty (about 22Kg I think). Lot of cab for £350 though.
Can anyone tell me the differences between a 4B and a 4C?

I'm aiming for a small light 2nd rig for acoustic/ electro-acoustic stuff so a 4C and micro head would be ideal I think - playing fretless almost entirely. And I prefer the flexibility of a head and cab, some small class Ds are almost pocket-size and I use a Sansamp for shaping mainly, don't need lots of EQ in the head.

and thanks for the offer, it would be very sensible to try them - where N London approx?

Edited by Soledad

The 4B and C4 both use the Piranha 5" drivers, although you can get the C4 with Neo drivers, too. Despite claims that there is no difference between Neo and ceramic magnets, I found, when auditioning them, that the Neos were slightly sweeter sounding, with a little less punch. The 4B is larger and has a more old school (but still clean/crisp) sound. The C4 is smaller and has a tighter, more mid-focused sound. One of each makes a pretty potent small rig. They are both very revealing, so will highlight differences in amplification. I use either an AG700 or a Carvin C1000 with mine. I'm at Archway. PM me if you want to drop by.

• Like 1

Was planning patience and all that, try first, have a good think. As if.

PJB 6b NEO - This is sounding very good indeed. Plenty enough bottom and I prefer front porting too. Mids really fab, and the top is SO nice. HFs are generally a bit hard and aggressive I find. These 5s deliver a lovely smooth (sweet, some say) top and plenty of it if you want. Notice the head set flat, and the usual VVT adjustments on the Jazz deliver every Jazz sound I know and use. (EB Cobalts on btw).
Top marks PJB - comes amazingly well packed, with a fitted cover that wasn't mentioned in the blurb. 

Think I've got myself a keeper of a compact rig for fretless (mainly) ... then some. Finger lickin' good.👍

pjb1.jpg

pjb2.jpg

• Like 3

Nice purchase, you won't be sorry. I didn't chime in as I'm a PB300 powered cab and Flightcase top user, but the description of the sound of your new cab sounds remarkably similar to my own experience (not surprising really). I'm a bit of a Phil Jones fanboy, but I can honestly say my current rig is the best sounding bass setup I've ever had. Really precise, without being sterile (it certainly showed up some of my technique shortcomings when I first had it, now corrected) and requiring very little in the way of EQ. Really good for FX too (I have my rig emulate an SVT for certain gigs via a Tech2 VTDI). Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MikeB said:

Hi. I'm a recent convert to PJB gear having just bought a BG400 and C4 extension cab from Bass Direct. Any tips / recommendations on EQ settings / gain vs master, etc.

For my tastes, it’s mainly: EQ pretty much flat (perhaps a little low end cut), gain set to just under clipping and master to suit room/stage.

54 minutes ago, ezbass said:

For my tastes, it’s mainly: EQ pretty much flat (perhaps a little low end cut)

Interesting - so far I've used the 6b at low levels only, and with a GB Streamliner 900. Now the thing with the Streamliner is I cut the bass and boost mids a bit. There's a very old thread here about that GB head and several users did the same. Live I use it through a GB 8812, but I do need to cut bass through the 6b as well. I'm beginning the think the GB is bass heavy - I'd like to try the 6b with a kind of technical / flat / uncoloured head. Any ideas on that welcome. (not entirely welcome as I'm out of gear credits). Hey-ho ;)

22 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

You could always try this for a really fantastic vintage repro sound:

Not sure I'm after vintage with this cab - I think the GB head kind of does that with its valve pre, and really good input gain / volume controls.
I am considering a PJB head... some blurb about set the PJB amp flat through a PJB cab, that's what your bass sounds like (and strings, R/H technique etc). Need to hear that - may not like it mind :)

11 hours ago, Soledad said:

Not sure I'm after vintage with this cab - I think the GB head kind of does that with its valve pre, and really good input gain / volume controls.
I am considering a PJB head... some blurb about set the PJB amp flat through a PJB cab, that's what your bass sounds like (and strings, R/H technique etc). Need to hear that - may not like it mind :)

PJB heads (imho of course) are very 'modern/hi-fi' sounding. They're powerful, well made and also rather spendy. I didn't think it worth upgrading to one from what I use (AG700). You should definitely do an A/B comparison with your GB before taking the plunge.

Re. "sounding what your bass sounds like", that's a neat marketing phrase from PJB, but you may not actually prefer it. There is no truly "flat" design and if there was, you may not like it. If you run your bass through your hi-fi, which is probably as close as we can get to hearing it "flat", it can sound a bit sterile (for me, at any rate). May be OK at living room levels, but in a live context, it simply wouldn't cut it.

Class D heads these days all use one of quite a small number of power amp modules. The major differences are in the preamp, where the designer's preference is what you hear. In my case, I like that slight warmth Aguilar bakes into things. Others prefer something different. One man's meat and all that.

• Like 1

I didn't comment earlier as I don't have either of the items in your first post, and I only have the one PJB amp so nothing to compare to, but, I picked up a used Suitcase with an unused 4b with it (so 8x5 in total) about 5 years ago and I have no reason to go looking at amps now or in the foreseeable future. Extremely happy with the little rig. 

Also, I don't know what it is but my Yamaha Bex4 with half rounds on, straight into the PJB sounds absolutely glorious, better than my more expensive basses. It just works. 

On 24/12/2019 at 21:06, Maude said:

I didn't comment earlier as I don't have either of the items in your first post, and I only have the one PJB amp so nothing to compare to, but, I picked up a used Suitcase with an unused 4b with it (so 8x5 in total) about 5 years ago and I have no reason to go looking at amps now or in the foreseeable future. Extremely happy with the little rig. 

Also, I don't know what it is but my Yamaha Bex4 with half rounds on, straight into the PJB sounds absolutely glorious, better than my more expensive basses. It just works. 

That's a nice set-up you have. I prefer the 4B to the C4 (I have both). You'll have to spend a lot of money to improve on it and I also find they make just about any bass sound great. Is yours the older Suitcase (same size as the 4B)? The newer (C4 size) one is a bit punchier and not as fat sounding in my experience. Probably due to the cab size.

• Thanks 1

On 19/12/2019 at 09:52, Dan Dare said:

You should definitely do an A/B comparison with your GB before taking the plunge.

I passed on the pjb head @Dan Dare, an M300 it was. I'm very happy with the 6B cab, was a bargain too 👍

Currently using a TC 550 with the PJB - I'm liking the TC and the toneprints are great with the fretless.
I'm in no rush to try other heads at the moment - the PJB cab is so 'analytical', I mean precise and responsive to slight changes of signal shape. So it takes me back to the actual bass, the strings and right-hand technique to finesse the sound. PJB 6C is also nice with the Genz - warmer and slightly valvy as we would expect.
So, working on sound now without the need to change any more gear. Is that allowed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

That's a nice set-up you have. I prefer the 4B to the C4 (I have both). You'll have to spend a lot of money to improve on it and I also find they make just about any bass sound great. Is yours the older Suitcase (same size as the 4B)? The newer (C4 size) one is a bit punchier and not as fat sounding in my experience. Probably due to the cab size.

The Suitcase is the same size as the 4b, from the front they look identical. Every now and then a bargain comes up that you just have to take. I got the Suitcase (barely used) the 4b (second hand but unused) and the stupidly thick PJB speakon cable that comes in a blue satin lined case O.o (also unused) for £560.

Some people say they're too sterile but I love it. You can add pedals for extra growl if that's your thing. 

• Like 1