Why become a member? ×

Lightweight 800w choices?

Graham56

@Graham56, re "I'm tempted by the Ashdown. I had a Mag 300 head before which had a great sound, but couldn't keep up (this was with an inefficient 210 cab). I do keep seeing comments about Ashdown output not being as loud as the wattage suggests but other people love them."

This might have been the case with earlier ranges - I have to admit I thought this with an early edition ABM500 I had as a backup amp - but I`ve got the ABM600 & RM500 which are current ranges and irrespective of cab/cabs I`ve used these have always been plenty loud enough. For reference I play in a skinhead/punk band so not exactly quiet music. 

Like Markbass I find the Ashdown amps work well with Precisions - I used to have Markbass amps myself but moved them on due to needing a bit more upper-mids and drive for my current band.

2 hours ago, Graham56 said:

Thanks to everyone for contributing, and there's a lot of food for thought.

As I said, I don't actually need more volume as such, but I would like a better sound quality. The current head is over 10 years old  and when I push it, the sound gets 'tight', kinda like someone speaking between clenched teeth (is this making any sense???)

I tend to set the EQ with a bit of a treble drop to make the most of the P-Bass mid-range hump. It sounds great at low volumes but not once the master goes past about 1 o'clock.

I know nothing about compression, but maybe a decent compressor would help as well?

I don't play in terribly loud bands, but the two I'm working with at the moment have lots of instruments that fill up the sonic space.

I do get the points about extra cab, but if I have to trade sound quality for portability I'm leaning towards portability. There are a couple of venues I play where I often have to park some distance away, so a single trip is really important to me. To misquote Al Krow: "But we also need to factor in the age and efficiency of the OP..."

I'm tempted by the Ashdown. I had a Mag 300 head before which had a great sound, but couldn't keep up (this was with an inefficient 210 cab). I do keep seeing comments about Ashdown output not being as loud as the wattage suggests but other people love them.

I didn't know anything about the Fender, although a friend has a Rumble combo and that sounds great to me.

I was very interested in the Quilter, although a couple of people (including Dave_bass 5) have commented on their 'flatness'. I guess I have to go up to Wembley to hear one.

Some tests in retailers may be called for!

Cheers, 

Graham

I would not worry about your amplifier being 10 years old. My LMIII was made in 2009 and it sounds just as good as it ever did ;)

@Phil Starr mentioned using an HPF. It's not a bad suggestion at all.

I didn't really know about HPFs when I was struggling with my LMIII+BB2, and eventually got a second BB2. Later, I 'discovered' HPFs. I found that using an adjustable one, even when set pretty low (~40Hz) I felt I had to push the amp a bit less in order to get the same volume, I also felt it sounded a bit clearer, and felt cooler after playing for 2-3 hours.

I wonder if that could do the trick for you, while keeping your existing gear. The LMII/III doesn't sound great when your input gain is too high. Maybe using an HPF you'll get that little extra oomph that could allow you to push the amp a little less to get the volume you need, and souding clearer.

34 minutes ago, mcnach said:

The LMII/III doesn't sound great when your input gain is too high. 

This is what I found with my MB Tube, easing back the input gain and then a little more gain on the master volume cleaned the sound right up for me. Looking at mine now the input gain is right down to the 9.00 o'clock position, there is a lot of gain in those early stages. That may solve your problem

• Like 1

+1 for HPF to improve speaker efficiency by eliminating the low end sonic crud.

@mcnach - now that you are making use of an HPF (on your Mesa D800+ ?) are you finding one BB2 mostly does the job or are you still doubling up with a second BB2 for the majority of your gigs?

The other point about the LM2/3's to be aware of is the less than ideal EQ centre points e.g. bass EQ centred at 40Hz, rather than a generally more preferred 65Hz to 80Hz and a huge gap between the high mids and treble centre points - something which has been fully addressed on the newer MB models.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Hey Graham56

if you play a P-Bass then you wil be

Werry Happy with the BB800

the P-Bass is one of the simplest

Bass’es out there & the BB800 is

maybe one of the simplest Amp’s

out there, for me it was so easy to start use with out anny reading or

annything.

if you have a great pasive Jazz it can do Jaco in loads, thoug I see

why people say its so great with

the P(I gues BB800 is á bit Vintage

sounding, look at the Man who

built it!(?))

The BB800 Sounds Monster thru

TKS H115(14kilo!) of Hard hitting

Cab! Werry Sollid & Pretty Vintage

Sounding, Í got mine with out rhe

horn, it simply does not need it

And werry good price’s

Amazing that it’s so light & still

has á huge sollid Sound with annything you pair it with

chek out TKS!

Just got back from my first rehearsal with my Fender Rumble 800HD. Blown away by it. Much better to my ears (and the bands) than the Quilter i had. It has a real kick to it. Low end it big but clear, but it has a low mid punch that ive struggled to get with out heads. As i play with a pick all the time i struggle to get that finger style punch, but tonight it was almost perfect. 

The tone was more room filling than with the Quilter, which i found to be a bit more neutral, but that wasnt want i really wanted. 

6 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I have an Ampeg PF500 which I love but I was looking at the Fender Rumble 800HD. If I didn't get my Ampeg force stupid £150 then I would of probably bought the Fender head.

Ive not seen many Rumble 800HD users posting so i took a chance. Happy i did, although it's still early days.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

That's gotta be your motto, right there! 

Famous first words. 😁

Its the BC way..... 🙂

Put it this way, its not perfect, but its definitely a step up from my previous heads. In fact the reason i went for the Quilter was for the added punch/thickening on the notes. I never found that, but the Fender has it in spades.

Edited by dave_bass5

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Its the BC way..... 🙂

Put it this way, its not perfect, but its definitely a step up from my previous heads. In fact the reason i went for the Quilter was for the added punch/thickening on the notes. I never found that, but the Fender has it in spades.

Well that's a very useful insight. There's been quite a lot of hype about the Quilter's ability from the Q-fanboy club and I'm sure they have good reason for liking what they like. But I know that your set up is actually very close to what I would use (Fearless F112 & Yammy P34) so the fact that the Fender Rumble 800HD is delivering and the Quilter doesn't, is a good steer - at least for me! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Put it this way, its not perfect, but its definitely a step up from my previous heads. I

I don't remember if you had used a GK MB800 with the F112 (the setup I use). Seems a good match. I nearly went for a Quilter from all the hype but have stuck with the GK. Glad there is another alternative out there to use with the F112.

6 minutes ago, TPJ said:

I don't remember if you had used a GK MB800 with the F112 (the setup I use). Seems a good match. I nearly went for a Quilter from all the hype but have stuck with the GK. Glad there is another alternative out there to use with the F112.

Yes, i still have my GKMB800, and that too worked better for me over the BB800. I wanted to get something less coloured than the GK, but still with a usable EQ (so not going direct to the power stage) and the Quilter is definitely flater, but i found it a bit too flat. The Rumble is much more to my liking, being in the middle of the GK punch and the MarkBass warmth. At least, to my ears based on 3 hours at rehearsals.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Its the BC way..... 🙂

Next step towards the inevitable Mesa isn’t it?

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Next step towards the inevitable Mesa isn’t it?

Nah, its too big and heavy. Everything just fits in my old camera bag, and i do this for a reason. I even gave up using a pedal board for the same reason. Anything larger is automatically off my list.

Maybe if i was gigging more regular things might change, but what i have now is more than good enough for all my gigs.

..........😂