Why become a member? ×

Auditioning, Do You Really Know What Your Looking For And What The Band Is Looking For?

Bluewine

On 02/12/2019 at 01:01, Bluewine said:

I have a few quirks when it comes to auditions.

I prefer to have the band give me 4-5 songs to audition. I don't like it when they give you a set list an ask me to pick the songs. It's happened where I pick the songs and it turns out I picked songs they rarely play or don't plat all anymore

Blue.

Agree with that, I have had that one. Give me a list of all your songs, then tell me which ones you want to audition. If I feel comfortable enough with those I will spend some time on the others too, but I have also (in this case joined a band) learned songs to be told 'oh we don't do that one any more' or 'we haven't started that one yet'

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 00:21, Bluewine said:

My point, be careful if your trying to audition for an opportunity you don't have the experience for.

Funny things can happen...

A singer that was in my very first band managed to get herself an agent in London. No prior acting experience or anything - agent just saw potential. (Incredible singing voice) Got her a shot at auditioning for chorus in the Lion King in the West End. Got the role of Rafiki. Did a stint both in the UK in Paris before moving onto a lead role in Hairspray. Got film work singing on the soundtrack for Gravity. Got backing singer work for the Charlatans, Michael Ball and more notably - the Kate Bush gigs. She may have ended up having a lead role in Emmedale not too long back. Not bad eh?

Keys player In my current band contacted Inglorious to ask to play keys for them on tour. They asked him to audition. He got the gig. No prior experience. Spent the last two years playing club, stadiums and festivals to thousands of people. Not a bad result form a tweet eh? The key thing is, he’d learned the stuff inside out and nailed all the sounds off the album. Job done and outperformed all the others that auditioned.

Never sell yourself short!

• Like 1

As she said, you've got to be good enough, at the right place, right time and you have to be what they want. The best guitarist in the world won't have been given three chances if he was a 6' 4" bloke, with glasses and a beer gut! Funnily enough Nita was given 3 chances. I wonder why?

As she also said, getting the gig is one thing, keeping it is another. Some "stars" keep their bands for decades, some change them all the time. The moment you think you are safe in the rock side-man world, you're in trouble. Complacency will kill your career every time.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

As she said, you've got to be good enough, at the right place, right time and you have to be what they want. The best guitarist in the world won't have been given three chances if he was a 6' 4" bloke, with glasses and a beer gut! Funnily enough Nita was given 3 chances. I wonder why?

As she also said, getting the gig is one thing, keeping it is another. Some "stars" keep their bands for decades, some change them all the time. The moment you think you are safe in the rock side-man world, you're in trouble. Complacency will kill your career every time.

She seemed like she was perfect for the gig. She had the skill, the look, the energy and attitude.

By the way the Alice Cooper band is awesome.

Blue

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Im guessing it was because she is very very good, I would imagine that being a woman in rock music you really do have to be very good and committed to get anywhere.

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Funny things can happen...

A singer that was in my very first band managed to get herself an agent in London. No prior acting experience or anything - agent just saw potential. (Incredible singing voice) Got her a shot at auditioning for chorus in the Lion King in the West End. Got the role of Rafiki. Did a stint both in the UK in Paris before moving onto a lead role in Hairspray. Got film work singing on the soundtrack for Gravity. Got backing singer work for the Charlatans, Michael Ball and more notably - the Kate Bush gigs. She may have ended up having a lead role in Emmedale not too long back. Not bad eh?

Keys player In my current band contacted Inglorious to ask to play keys for them on tour. They asked him to audition. He got the gig. No prior experience. Spent the last two years playing club, stadiums and festivals to thousands of people. Not a bad result form a tweet eh? The key thing is, he’d learned the stuff inside out and nailed all the sounds off the album. Job done and outperformed all the others that auditioned.

Never sell yourself short!

For all you young people,  if you have the look, the skills and the right attitude get out there tbe opportunities are waiting for you. 

Blue

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Im guessing it was because she is very very good, I would imagine that being a woman in rock music you really do have to be very good and committed to get anywhere.

Nita is very good. She also has a deal with Ibanez and does clinics all over the USA.

Blue

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Agree with that, I have had that one. Give me a list of all your songs, then tell me which ones you want to audition. If I feel comfortable enough with those I will spend some time on the others too, but I have also (in this case joined a band) learned songs to be told 'oh we don't do that one any more' or 'we haven't started that one yet'

When a band won't present the songs to me for the audition it's a "red flag".

Blue