Why become a member? ×

Auditioning, Do You Really Know What Your Looking For And What The Band Is Looking For?

Bluewine

Auditioning can be very frustrating. There are so many variables., age, location, experience to name a few.

It would would be cool if we can all share our approach to auditioning . I would personally love to hear about approaches to pro level touring bands

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

I'll start. 

I've made the mistake of showing interest in an opportunity before I had thought out what I was looking for.

To be honest there are very few opportunities that are a match for me.

I'd love a shot at a pro level touring opportunity, however my age and the fact I have no touring experience no touring band would consider me.

My point, be careful if your trying to audition for an opportunity you don't have the experience for.

Blue

38 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'd love a shot at a pro level touring opportunity, however my age and the fact I have no touring experience no touring band would consider me.

My point, be careful if your trying to audition for an opportunity you don't have the experience for.

Careful maybe, but the idea of not trying for an opportunity that you don't have the experience for is very negative. My whole work career involved applying for jobs that I didn't have the experience for but knew I could do once I had a chance, I don't see why a band should be any different. 

Not kidding myself that I would get the gig in any top level band, and I am too old now,  but I know full well I can play the bass as least as well as many people I have seen, so if I had the opportunity, and availability, why the hell would I not audition?

• Like 3

There are indeed too many variables. Despite being often ridiculous, I prefer when the ‘wanted’ ad gives some specifics. I recall seeing one looking for a ‘tall, skinny, punky bassist’, citing Duff McKagen or Sid Vicious as examples. The band seemed interesting, but being so image focused put me off straight away. I had a telephone conversation with another guy who was more interested in how I dressed and what my gear looked like than anything else. 

I didn’t audition for either of these, but I don’t think I’d have got either gig due to some non-music requirements.

On the music side of thing, a drummer friend of mine recently failed an audition for a cover band for playing the songs properly! He spent time nailing ‘Hundred Mile High City”, only to be stopped after a minute to be told he was doing it wrong. After letting them hear the original, they agreed he played it properly - but they just wanted a ‘simple 4/4, like their last drummer played it’. This would have sounded interesting, given the song sounds like it’s in 6/8!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Careful maybe, but the idea of not trying for an opportunity that you don't have the experience for is very negative. My whole work career involved applying for jobs that I didn't have the experience for but knew I could do once I had a chance, I don't see why a band should be any different. 

Not kidding myself that I would get the gig in any top level band, and I am too old now,  but I know full well I can play the bass as least as well as many people I have seen, so if I had the opportunity, and availability, why the hell would I not audition?

For me it would be knowing I couldn't do it if I had the chance.

I was watching an interview with shredder Nita Strauss of the Alice Cooper Band. She was in the right place at the right time and she told them she could out perform anyone else in the running. And she was right. She had the whole package, the skill, the look, the theatrics and the experience. Even then she had to submit tape after tape and had to audition several times. If there's a " take away from Nita it's her confidence.

I remember Cooper saying. " We only have time for "A List" performers.

Personally, I'm fascinated with the process;

Most of us won't have the opportunity to audition for Alice however we can apply informed audition methodology in our own local world.

I'll throw this out there. Prior to an audition how many of us have asked the band representative, " What are you really looking for to fill this position"

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, geoham said:

There are indeed too many variables. Despite being often ridiculous, I prefer when the ‘wanted’ ad gives some specifics. I recall seeing one looking for a ‘tall, skinny, punky bassist’, citing Duff McKagen or Sid Vicious as examples. The band seemed interesting, but being so image focused put me off straight away. I had a telephone conversation with another guy who was more interested in how I dressed and what my gear looked like than anything else. 

I didn’t audition for either of these, but I don’t think I’d have got either gig due to some non-music requirements.

On the music side of thing, a drummer friend of mine recently failed an audition for a cover band for playing the songs properly! He spent time nailing ‘Hundred Mile High City”, only to be stopped after a minute to be told he was doing it wrong. After letting them hear the original, they agreed he played it properly - but they just wanted a ‘simple 4/4, like their last drummer played it’. This would have sounded interesting, given the song sounds like it’s in 6/8!

I love your response, when a band is clear on specifics it helps us make a more informed decision. Look can be more important than skill for some opportunities. It's is what it is. I get it.

I saw an ad recently and everything looked good for me until I read the last sentence,

" We're all in our early 20s" I'm 66. 

Blue

How about the " knowing what you want in a band part" Some of us merely want to get together with a couple of guys to jam, some want financially life sustaining opportunities.

I think I'd know if I was looking.

I'm looking for;

Good People

Smart People

Good Music

Good Money

Good Bookings and lots of them

In that order

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

I can be a strange thing that can't be explained sometimes, whether someone is the right fit or not for a band. One of my current bands had been asking me for a couple of years to join but the time wasn't right with other band commitments. They ended up kicking their bassist out as things got too bad and auditioned for a replacement, one was very good apparently but for whatever reason just didn't fit. They couldn't find a suitable replacement and were going to quit so I relented. 

Another thing that's been touched on is image. We're not massively image conscious but we are a Mod band (I don't know if the Mod scene ever happened in America Blue, it's a very British thing which I think would intrigue you) so it is important to us to look the part. A leather clad, long haired rocker wouldn't look right, certainly not a 50s/60s rocker :o. When we play bigger events we're all suited and booted. 

• Like 1

I’ve only auditioned twice for bands, rest of time I’ve been asked.

First time was a local punk covers band who I knew, so knew what the band was about, what their gigging calendar & strategy was. Got the job and took it, was great while it lasted. 

Second was a rock band that put an ad up on here, based/rehearsed in High Wycombe. I got it, but the drive, which used to take me 40mins when I worked there in the 90s took over an hour on a summers eve, so I was up front and said that I knew I wouldn’t last doing that in winter. Still stuck around for a few months til they got someone permanent.

And given that I’m soon to be bandless who knows what the future may bring, all I do know is that I won’t consider any bands that gig countrywide, and travel for hours to gigs. And given how much I’ve done with the current originals band I’m not sure I could even get close with another so I’ll probably look at covers. But for the moment I just need a rest from it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Another thing that's been touched on is image. We're not massively image conscious but we are a Mod band (I don't know if the Mod scene ever happened in America Blue, it's a very British thing which I think would intrigue you) so it is important to us to look the part. A leather clad, long haired rocker wouldn't look right, certainly not a 50s/60s rocker :o. When we play bigger events we're all suited and booted. 

Yes the Mods vs The Rockers. I've seen many documentaries on the whole Mod thing. And no the Mod thing never happened over here. If it did it was minor.

Look and image is tough on us older guys .Most of us "age out" at some point. Some sooner than later.

Interesting thing, I think some guys like Mick Jagger can still pul off " look".

Blue

49 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve only auditioned twice for bands, rest of time I’ve been asked.

First time was a local punk covers band who I knew, so knew what the band was about, what their gigging calendar & strategy was. Got the job and took it, was great while it lasted. 

Agreed knowing how a band operates before committing to an audition is crucial.

For those of us in this for money, we want to know how much, when where and how were paid.

Blue

An audition should be a two way thing. It's been said on here before but as well as being auditioned by the band you're also auditioning them.

Twice I've been offered a position in a band after an audition but I've (politely) declined because I found out things during the session that meant it wouldn't be the right move. In neither case was it something I could have discovered in advance by research. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

An audition should be a two way thing. It's been said on here before but as well as being auditioned by the band you're also auditioning them.

Twice I've been offered a position in a band after an audition but I've (politely) declined because I found out things during the session that meant it wouldn't be the right move. In neither case was it something I could have discovered in advance by research. 

Yes, at auditions you not only have to play but you should be observing everything.

What level do they play at

How organized was the audition

How prepared were they

How were you treated

Blue

16 hours ago, chris_b said:

Good networking skills are better than auditions.

Add to that reputation.

If you have a good reputation, and good networking skills, then you’ll likely just get called. It’s been a couple of years since I did normal gigs, but prior to that I hadn’t auditioned for ages.

I have a few quirks when it comes to auditions.

I prefer to have the band give me 4-5 songs to audition. I don't like it when they give you a set list an ask me to pick the songs. It's happened where I pick the songs and it turns out I picked songs they rarely play or don't plat all anymore

Blue.

My last audition was for a band I already liked, which made it a bit odd. It felt like pressure because I really wanted the gig, but I had no doubt I could play it, add to it and learn something from it, which is my main ask as a musician.  I already 'knew' all their songs but I'd never worked out how to play any of them and when I did learn them it was surprisingly easy because I didn't have to think about things like the tricky 5/4 > 7/8 time change because I already 'knew how the tune went' without really noticing that it was tricky. I got the audition because they knew who I was, had heard me play and (I think) couldn't face Join My Band again. They sent me a couple of demos to learn from but I made sure I had their album down, end to end, as well. Good decision. I also knew from their social media they had gigs booked, so I prioitised getting it right enough and tight enough rather than obsessing about every fill. That also turned out to be the correct decision. I figured that the real audition is your first few gigs anyway and showing that you can keep the wheels on in front of an audience when the drummer didn't get a soundcheck, nobody on stage can hear the singer and the guitarist's pedlaboard is malfunctioning is as delivery critical as learning recognisable versions of the material. Being totally rock solid with the drummer when the guitars failed during a gig that was being recorded probably sealed the deal for me.

From the auditioner side of the fence rather than the auditionee, there are a few criteria.  In order of importance:

• Talent - are they up to the job?  Doesn't matter how good they are on all the other points, if they can't actually perform to the level required then they won't get asked back.  Note: not necessarily the most talented person who tries out, as long as the one you pick can clearly play the style you want with the right feel, etc.
  • How well have they prepared/how seriously have they taken the audition?  Have they learned all of the songs you gave them, or just one?  Can they remember the tune and play all the parts in the right places?  Have they prepared the songs which stretch them technically so you can see whether they have any gaps in their playing, or have they just gone for the straight forward stuff?  Is it reasonable for the length of time they've had to prepare?
  • Enthusiasm & commitment.  Do they really want to be in your band, or do they just want to be in a band, any band and you'll do?  Do they match the rest of the band in terms of commitment - can they rehearse as often as you want them to, how many gigs will they commit to, do they have other stuff in their lives that will hold the band back?  Where do they want the band to get to - regular paid gigs all over the country, recording albums and touring, or an hour in the Dog & Duck once or twice a year?
  • Are they a d#ck?  Is this somebody you can see yourself spending time with in the band?
  • Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 17:16, Bluewine said:

Yes, at auditions you not only have to play but you should be observing everything.

What level do they play at

How organized was the audition

How prepared were they

How were you treated

Blue

22 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I have a few quirks when it comes to auditions.

I prefer to have the band give me 4-5 songs to audition. I don't like it when they give you a set list an ask me to pick the songs. It's happened where I pick the songs and it turns out I picked songs they rarely play or don't plat all anymore

Blue.

I think that you have to remember that each situation is different, just as each band is different. You have to be adaptable and to make yourself the best fit for the band, assuming that you actually want the gig. 

As mentioned above, you are more likely to get a gig through having good networking skills and (vitally) having a good solid reputation. I haven't done an audition as such for 25 years or more (in fact I point blank refuse to audition for local bands), all the gigs I have got have been through personal recommendations or knowing the band. 

We have just recently replaced a drummer in a covers band. As soon as we knew the old guy was leaving, we just discussed on messenger who we thought could do the gig and might be interested. We then made a list of three guys (in order) to contact. Fortunately, the first guy could do it so we asked him to join the band (no auditions or trials, etc). If he couldn't have done it, we would have rung the next guy on the shortlist. Only if none of them were available would we have started putting out feelers and started getting recommendations from people we knew. 

• Like 1