Why become a member? ×

Son of a preacher man - Dusty Springfield

dumelow

[quote name='Mike' post='381454' date='Jan 15 2009, 04:21 PM']Have you tried sitting down with a recording and transcribing it by ear?

It takes a little longer but you'll feel better, it'll most likely be more accurate than 90% of tabs out there, and it will develop your ear.[/quote]

I agree but I'd settle for the lesser satisfaction of putting the tab right!

I too have searched for any even vaguely accurate tab on this without any success. Lovely bass line though! I'll upgrade myself from Beginner to Vaguely Useful if I ever really master it! ;) :P

id give it a go at playing along, but it would probably take me an age. plus im sort of getting back into bass after about a year of not bothering so im not too hot at it at the moment.

ive been trying to find lots of motown tabs aswell with not much luck, found a few jackson 5 tabs and a couple of marvin gaye tabs, but i dont really know where else to look apart from bassmasta.net

Edited by dumelow

download guitar pro 5, and then google.com and search for "song title"+"guitar pro" and it willfind some awesome tabs.best program ever

you download a tabfile thats a few kb and you press play, it then plays a midi version of the song with all the tabs for the instruments playing.easy to learn with as you take the volumn of the bass down and play along, or take the volume of the rest of the band and boost the bass.

if you like it, buy it.if not delete it:-)

righto ill give it a try, cheers for the response guys

cool thing is a got a microcube rx through the post the other day ive been w***ing over that for days, if the midi thing on guitar pro works rightly like photographymatt says i should be able to play guitarpro through my amp

We did this as a request one night. I think its the kind of song that should be busked unheard than perfect swatty bum lick.

Watch Pulp Fiction and you should've heard enough to get you by.

Go for the jazz man. Jazz hands will get you going.

Jazz to me = interesting but incorrect lines that the audience aren't aware of.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='381977' date='Jan 16 2009, 02:37 AM']We did this as a request one night. I think its the kind of song that should be busked unheard than perfect swatty bum lick.[/quote]

I've done both - I busked this tune more or less unheard for quite some time in a function band, and after that I transcribed and worked it out more or less note for note for a Dusty tribute band. The busking method certainly had its charms, but in my opinion there is no substitute for the transcribing option; it is the best way to get into the mindset of the musician who played the part. And you can always busk it afterwards, with the knowledge that you are doing so from the point of view of adding to the canon, rather than noodling around disrepectfully :-)

I'm certainly not advocating note-for-note transcriptions of all the songs one plays - life is too short - but some basslines are worth it. "Son of a Preacher Man" is one of these IMHO.

Jennifer

[quote name='dumelow' post='381502' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:05 PM']id give it a go at playing along, but it would probably take me an age. plus im sort of getting back into bass after about a year of not bothering so im not too hot at it at the moment.

ive been trying to find lots of motown tabs aswell with not much luck, found a few jackson 5 tabs and a couple of marvin gaye tabs, but i dont really know where else to look apart from bassmasta.net[/quote]

For mowtown stuff you've got to pick up a b ook called standing in the shadows of motown: the life of legendary bassist james jameson... its part biog, part transcriptions and comes with 2 cds of tracks with bass panned one way so you can solo, or remove to play along with backing tracks... best bit from my perspective, is its standared notation only so is helping me improve my reading too!

Russ

[quote name='dumelow' post='381502' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:05 PM']... but i dont really know where else to look apart from bassmasta.net[/quote]

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/[/url] is sometimes pretty good & actually has quite a few bass tabs.

There's even one on there for the song your after, though I can't vouch for it's accuracy or usefulness...

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dusty_springfield/son_of_a_preacher_man_btab.htm"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dust...er_man_btab.htm[/url]

There was a similar thread looking for the tab/transcription for Hit Me With Your Rythm Stick, which I was happy to oblige. I ended up posting the transcription as a number of BassChatters were after it.
Maybe a good idea to do the same with this. Part of the tab/transcription is in a book called "The R&B Bass Masters" and includes work by JJ, Duck Dunne, Chuck Rainey, Jerry Jemmott, Tommy Cogbill, Bootsy, George Porter, Ronnie Baker, Willie Weeks and David Hood.
Same deal as SISOM with a CD of the tracks.
Someone suggested that it might be an idea for a new section on BassChat for transcriptions/tabs.
What do you think Mods?

[quote name='dumelow' post='381441' date='Jan 15 2009, 04:10 PM']I cant find a tab for this anywhere?! im hoping its just that im looking in the wrong places maybe someone could point me in the right direction please...[/quote]
Here is the Fade-Out from the end if it helps.
[attachment=18729:Son_of_P...cher_Man.jpg]

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='382208' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:04 PM']"The R&B Bassmasters" by Ed Friedland is for sale on Amazon: £9.99 with free postage if you don't want it next day![/quote]
You haven't seen a cheap copy of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown have you Keith?
I was promised the book, (already have the CD's), by another BassChatter and it didn't happen. need to get hold of a copy.

[quote name='KevB' post='381533' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:32 PM']+1 for guitarpro, allows me to learn stuff 5 times quicker than by ear alone. Generally the files are pretty accurate too, much more so than a lot of general tab files out there. Just wish that the mysongbook archive was fully accessible again![/quote]

I dont have the whole archive on my comp..its not easy to download via torrent at all...;-) yeah, a record lable(major one) kicked up a stink over copyright and they got shut down(msb.com) but you cant ban a program so the tabs carry on underground.

google.com and search for guitar pro 5 and it should show you the official site...or (dont) torrent it.

[quote name='endorka' post='381954' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:50 AM']I have done a full transcription/adaptation of this bassline, but it's in notation only, not tab. Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you - I believe the recorded key is E, right?

Jennifer[/quote]

thanks but that wouldnt be much use to me, i havent read a single note since leaving college. I found some software called tuxguitar which reads powertab aswell as guitar pro files. That coupled with ultimate guitar archive should keep me quiet around these parts for a while

cheers guys