Why become a member? ×

1x12 cab advice

bassbora

I am looking for an advice or an opinion and hear about experience of 1x12 cabs. 

I have been gigging Bergantino AE212 for few years in a covers/function band. I am hoping to find few different musical projects in the new year but feel it’s a bit of an overkill to drag that cab around for either jams or small gigs. 

So I was hoping to find a light weight 1x12 to have around for these. I usually just stick to what I know so I would be looking at Bergantino again AE, CN or HDN. I have Mesa D800 and really like it so I was even thinking about the light weight cabs from them. 

So my question is, is there much difference between these three Berg cabs and if so should I be looking for any in particular? How do the Mesa cabs compare? And finally should I possibly get rid of the 212 and have two separate cabs so I can scale up or down as is needed? 

I see that Mesa has the 112 and 115 often paired up. Should that be a consideration instead? 

I had AE112's for about 6 years and then a CN 212 for a couple more. If I ever move away from my Barefaced cabs Bergantino is where I'd be. I don't know there is a huge difference between the AE, CN and HDN cabs. Maybe the HDN's are the culmination of the tweeks that have been made to the previous models. I'd always go for several 112's, because they are flexible and give you modular set ups. I also have a bad back which is why I had to sell my CN212. I'm always looking for the lightest carry.

Also check out Barefaced. My Super Compact and Super Midget make a world class sound and they are two of the lightest, loudest 112's I've heard. I briefly owned a D800 and used it with 2 Super Compacts. They made a great sound together, but I decided I preferred my Aguilar amps. I'm sure the Subway cabs would be an excellent choice.

BF have a 20% off sale on their cabs until Monday. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just a little update. I have been keeping an eye for any of the above cabs and not seen them come up here. I put a WTB here but nothing. Do you guys think that either there are not many on the second hand market and people are quite happy with them or if people are just not up for shipping? 

I have been thinking maybe I should just buy new then since I am not having much luck. Should I then go with the Bergantino HDN or the Mesa? Difference in price seems to be around £120 with cover the Mesa more expensive. First world problems. 

With my luck the classifieds will be full of them the moment I have bought a new one. 

I've not had any experience of using 1 x 12 cabs (I'm using a Berg AE410) but understand (like @chris_b) that the Berg AE, CN and HDN series are all slight improvements on each other in that order.  

Bergantino have just launched a new 'NXT' series of lightweight cabs including two different 1 x 12 cabs that look very good. These are due to start shipping from next week so there may be a few more of the older lightweight series up for sale soon.  I believe there are a couple of Berg CN 1 x 12 cabs up for sale on here at the moment at a very good price.

Edited by gazhowe
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gazhowe said:

I've not had any experience of using 1 x 12 cabs (I'm using a Berg AE410) but understand (like @chris_b) that the Berg AE, CN and HDN series are all slight improvements on each other in that order.  

Bergantino have just launched a new 'NXT' series of lightweight cabs including two different 1 x 12 cabs that look very good. These are due to start shipping from next week so there may be a few more of the older lightweight series up for sale soon.  I believe there are a couple of Berg CN 1 x 12 cabs up for sale on here at the moment at a very good price.

I did not know about the new ones thanks for the heads up. 

Yes I did see the ones in the classifieds. Problem is he said he doesn’t want to ship collection or meet up. I am in Perth area he is in London. That’s not going to happen.

Hi 

I've just gone through your exact dilemma... I've been using an AE212 for all my gigs (from theatre shows, covers band, panto, sessions and even in orchestral settings) for years and it's been absolutely superb. But 12mths ago due to the weight of it I decided to go modular using single 12s.

After trying loads of manufacturers and talking with Alex Claber I chose Barefaced, going with their Big Baby 2 and a Super Midget (both 12", 8ohm 600w - although they can handle a LOT more!)

My Berg weighs in at 29kg but the Barefaced stuff is a ridiculous 10kg!! Yes, I believe the AE212 has a bit more bottom but both Barefaced cabs can be EQ'd to compensate (although they are MUCH better for double bass than the AE). They are totally transparent and clear, additional to the "bass thump" I now can hear every detail of every note (I've had to brush up on my chops too as now I can't get away with poor technique - they're that clear!) Obviously linked together they are immensely louder than the Berg. Longevity due to the lightweight construction is unknown to me but I always pamper my gear so I'm not worried about that. Although there's reports of of them falling down a flight of stairs with no damage (they're so light they bounce! - the Berg certainly wouldn't 😂😂

It's was a sad day to say farewell to my trusty and excellent AE212 but I'm so happy with my choice to go modular. 

Hope my experiences of changing cabs helps. 

(I'm not involved with Barefaced and I expect most high end 12" cabs will suffice but there is life after Bergantino! Just my opinion) 

Although the new NXT does look interesting..... 😁 

Have fun choosing. 

Edited by Bloopdad1
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

Hi 

I've just gone through your exact dilemma... I've been using an AE212 for all my gigs (from theatre shows, covers band, panto, sessions and even in orchestral settings) for years and it's been absolutely superb. But 12mths ago due to the weight of it I decided to go modular using single 12s.

After trying loads of manufacturers and talking with Alex Claber I chose Barefaced, going with their Big Baby 2 and a Super Midget (both 12", 8ohm 600w - although they can handle a LOT more!)

My Berg weighs in at 29kg but the Barefaced stuff is a ridiculous 10kg!! Yes, I believe the AE212 has a bit more bottom but both Barefaced cabs can be EQ'd to compensate (although they are MUCH better for double bass than the AE). They are totally transparent and clear, additional to the "bass thump" I now can hear every detail of every note (I've had to brush up on my chops too as now I can't get away with poor technique - they're that clear!) Obviously linked together they are immensely louder than the Berg. Longevity due to the lightweight construction is unknown to me but I always pamper my gear so I'm not worried about that. Although there's reports of of them falling down a flight of stairs with no damage (they're so light they bounce! - the Berg certainly wouldn't 😂😂

It's was a sad day to say farewell to my trusty and excellent AE212 but I'm so happy with my choice to go modular. 

Hope my experiences of changing cabs helps. 

(I'm not involved with Barefaced and I expect most high end 12" cabs will suffice but there is life after Bergantino! Just my opinion) 

Although the new NXT does look interesting..... 😁 

Have fun choosing. 

Hey thanks for the brilliant detailed report. I think I got my Berg back in 2013 if I remember correctly and at the time I was looking at Barefaced as well and I would have preferred 2 112 cabs but it was too much money for me back then and the Berg came up secondhand and it worked so brilliantly for me. I am looking at finding more and different musical projects so I thought having 112 would be so much easier to have at smaller gigs or jams than grabbing the big one. 

I actually gave up waiting and ordered another Berg HDN 112 on Friday. I guess I went with that because I have been so pleased with my experience of that brand for the last six years so I decided to go with that again. I think you are absolutely right when you get to a certain price point and all the components are top notch any cab would probably sound good and then it’s just down to a personal preference. I don’t want to start to buy and sell many cabs to find the right one so easier to stick with what you know.

Well my brand new HDN arrived today and I only had a chance to play through it for few minutes.  I tried my Stage 2 and Thumb 6 fretless and as expected sounded great.  Everything I like about my AE212.  It would be handy to have two of these and not the big one but I am not going to do that.  Trying to shift a big cab from Scotland to somewhere else I dont think I would have many interested.

Anyway I think it looks and sounds fantastic.  I cant wait to try this one in a band situation and see how it holds up.

As I suspected I got a message about possible sale of AE112 this afternoon after I got the HDN delivered.  I knew this would happen and now the classifieds are going to be filled with 1X12 cab of every description known to man since I just bought one.