Why become a member? ×

London Calling P Bass On Show At Museum Of London.

Hobbayne

55 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Yes, it’s just a bass. 

But it’s a bass that was played on a very influential album, and features in one of the most iconic photographs in rock history. 

Any instrument that has been used by a popular, influential, legendary musician has provenance and will be of interest to fans of that individual. 

I’ve never heard of them tbh. What happened to it, why is it damaged?

On 03/01/2020 at 10:17, Dan Dare said:

I just don't get this. Mass produced stuff and tat acquiring the status of a holy relic because someone famous has used/abused it. I can understand why the organisers put on such events (bizness, innit?), but why do so many go along to pay money and gawp? Are people that gullible? 

Same reason my Mrs wants to see dresses worn by Princess Di etc. I personally don't care about a dress "worth" however many tens of thousands but given to an actress or whatever for free then held in a museum forever. My Mrs won't quite understand the broken bass but I'd like to go and see it as I imagine there is other stuff around it that tells a story of the times. I'd pay to go in fact. 

Well of course  :)

Built on a factory line with about as much passion as a spotty McDonalds employee building a cheeseburger

:lol:

But i guess this hardly matters considering how many have bought them and use them.

Millions of bassers cant be wrong 

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

Since they changed CEO a few years back, the MoL have put on some very interesting and entertaining exhibitions.  I was a guest at an opening of one back in 2015 and it was a lot of fun - a surprisingly rare quality in the rarified circles of London's cultural glitterati.  

• Like 2

I went to the Hard Rock Cafe once. I don’t usually go to that kind of place, they’re too busy and noisy, but I was talked into it by my brother, and my nephew wanted to go, ‘it's full of guitars, you’ll love it’ they said. It was but I didn’t.

I hadn’t heard of most of the bands or musicians, I think in most cases the link to them was pretty tenuous.

I can see the social history side of it, with the other exhibits. Particularly if you were around then, it’s nostalgic I guess. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fleabag said:

Well of course  :)

Built on a factory line with about as much passion as a spotty McDonalds employee building a cheeseburger

:lol:

But i guess this hardly matters considering how many have bought them and use them.

Millions of bassers cant be wrong 

I was referring to the part of your post that mentioned the sound.

9 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Since they changed CEO a few years back, the MoL have put on some very interesting and entertaining exhibitions.  I was a guest at an opening of one back in 2015 and it was a lot of fun - a surprisingly rare quality in the rarified circles of London's cultural glitterati.  

They do indeed. I believe after The Clash exhibition ends they have one celebrating the history of reggae and dub. Can’t wait, personally. 

I never saw the attraction -  the rise of punk in the charts was a distraction from good dance music so despised them

As for the bass being smashed not an original rock n roll statement - but some people do blame their instruments and maybe he was annoyed he couldn't get it to sound like Mr Watt-Roy had recorded for him 

Edited by deepbass5
Punch drunk
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Surely it’s the photograph that is iconic?

the rest of the album cover is ripped off an Elvis one as has been pointed out, and IIRC the bass was being smashed up because it was a bit of a dog. Was it even used on the recording of the album?

It was his favourite bass, he smashed it because he was angry with security for not letting people stand up.