Why become a member? ×

London Calling P Bass On Show At Museum Of London.

Hobbayne

It's well worth a visit. I popped in on Thursday.

But sheesh, did it make me feel ancient to see stuff that was throwaway tat back in the day being so lovingly cared for. Forty flippin' years since that album came out.

And the merch prices were an eye-opener. Thirty-odd quid for a scrapbook, sixty-five for a repro tour jacket. Ouch.

Edited by lozkerr
Wrong day of week. Told you I was getting old.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just don't get this. Mass produced stuff and tat acquiring the status of a holy relic because someone famous has used/abused it. I can understand why the organisers put on such events (bizness, innit?), but why do so many go along to pay money and gawp? Are people that gullible? 

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thebrig said:

This is not a dig at The Clash because I actually quite like them and think its a great song, but in what way did London Calling change music history?

I also quite like them, and similarly am not sure how it changed music history. Was another good - but not exceptional imo - album from that period, maybe the thought was that the punks had "grown up" and learnt to write "proper" songs maybe?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I also quite like them, and similarly am not sure how it changed music history. Was another good - but not exceptional imo - album from that period, maybe the thought was that the punks had "grown up" and learnt to write "proper" songs maybe?

😂

12 hours ago, thebrig said:

This is not a dig at The Clash because I actually quite like them and think its a great song, but in what way did London Calling change music history?

I've wondered that too, and I cannae escape the suspicion that it's largely because it has the L-word in its title, and the tone of the title track captures the post-industrial dystopian zeitgeist of the Thatcher years while a former imperial power struggled to find its place and rebuild a fractured society... (continued p94 of the Grauniad).

I thought Give 'em Enough Rope was a better Clash album, and there were others released in the late seventies that were far more memorable and captured the mood more accurately - Crossing the Red Sea, A Tonic for the Troops, Parallel Lines, Rattus Norvegicus, Out of the Blue, Damned Damned Damned, The Adventures of Hersham Boys and Never Mind The Bolloxx spring immediately to mind.

But in spite of that, I did like the exhibition and I'm going to visit it again, as it's a nice trip down memory lane. It was nice seeing the singles on display and thinking 'yeah kids - I bought that for 50p from Boots when it first came out'.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2020 at 10:17, Dan Dare said:

I just don't get this. Mass produced stuff and tat acquiring the status of a holy relic because someone famous has used/abused it. I can understand why the organisers put on such events (bizness, innit?), but why do so many go along to pay money and gawp? Are people that gullible? 

Why bother with museums at all then? 

• Haha 1

The Clash and Paul Simonon were / are a big part of my musical life so I really enjoyed the exhibition. It was great to see the instruments, clothes, artefacts etc from a band and an album that changed my life. 

It was great to see Paul’s bass up close. It’s an iconic object for sure, but also it was good to see and photograph it in detail as I’m building a replica at the moment. Intact though haha.

65E1A1FC-7C1C-4C73-BD6E-7144D8D18A05.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ambient said:

Isn’t just a bass though at the end of the day? I must be missing something 😁.

Yes, it’s just a bass. 

But it’s a bass that was played on a very influential album, and features in one of the most iconic photographs in rock history. 

Any instrument that has been used by a popular, influential, legendary musician has provenance and will be of interest to fans of that individual. 

• Like 1