Why become a member? ×

2 pickup control suggestions

AngelDeVille

4 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

2 stacked knobs with volume and tone for each pickup, just like the old Jazz basses used to.

Hmmm... I did have that thought in the back of my cranium,  I do only need a single tone and would mostly use the neck pickup.  So maybe just use the bridge as a stacked with the tone control....

I could probably get by with a dummy pickup in the bridge...

On the the stacked Jazz how was the stack configured?  I have a stacked on another guitar and I wired it bottom volume/top tone.

2 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

Hmmm... I did have that thought in the back of my cranium,  I do only need a single tone and would mostly use the neck pickup.  So maybe just use the bridge as a stacked with the tone control....

I could probably get by with a dummy pickup in the bridge...

On the the stacked Jazz how was the stack configured?  I have a stacked on another guitar and I wired it bottom volume/top tone.

Other way round 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2019 at 16:44, itu said:

A PRS-type tone switch?

I’m not sure what that is. Is it like a vari-tone?

On 30/11/2019 at 03:08, Hellzero said:

A straight to the jack wiring through a 3 way switch and basta. Works fine. The question you should ask yourself is Do I sometimes use the volume or the tone ?

I use the volume more dynamically than tone, tone is either on zero or 11.

thats why I think I could go straight to jack and have a master volume and blend.

on another 2 pickup bass I have 2 volume/straight to jack, and may convert it.

I had a guitar with a vari-tone. It was a 7 position tone control with a chicken head knob, I only liked 3 and 7. 

I’ll research components for the vari-tone, that could work as well

master vol/blend/vari-tone. But same or more components as my original though.. and probably more complicated. 

Edited by AngelDeVille

PRS has this simple switch that controls tone on/off. You could do a bit similar with a capacitor and a trimmer (Smith may have had a coil in the circuitry, too). When the switch connects the components to the signal line, you get a preset tone you want, as you can adjust the trimmer to your preference. When the switch is off, the parts are not in the signal route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itu said:

PRS has this simple switch that controls tone on/off. You could do a bit similar with a capacitor and a trimmer (Smith may have had a coil in the circuitry, too). When the switch connects the components to the signal line, you get a preset tone you want, as you can adjust the trimmer to your preference. When the switch is off, the parts are not in the signal route.

ohh that sounds nice!

I’ll  have to research how it’s done. 

This isn’t the bass I had started the thread about, but I just completed changing the controls.

It started out as someone else’s project, and had vol/vol/some kind of switch/stereo jack....

She has a Dimarzio Will Power in the neck, and I switched the Pbass pickup to the Duncan Design I had for the other project. 

Dimarzio measured 13k, Duncan design was a whopping 15k so I figured they would balance better than the 5k one that was in it. 

volume/blend/tone. I’m considering replacing the scratchplate in the future because there is an extra hole from the switch and I can improve the spacing of the knobs, but I’m not sure I can improve the color. 

I used a 500k volume, 250k blend, 500k tone with a .033 cap. She sounds beautiful. I was worried I needed a 500k blend and a 250k tone.

D0-E14583-907-F-4-C44-8991-ACEF2-E53692-

Edited by AngelDeVille