Why become a member? ×

NAD - Fender Rumble 500

Trueno

New band, new amp. Sold my Mark Bass after quitting gigging for good (or so I thought) so decided to go for something lightweight but completely different. Although it looks a bit of a mini-beast, it's crazy light... it even feels a touch lighter than my practice amp.

I've only had a quick thump on it, just to check everything's working, but will need to try out properly in the rehearsal room next week... I'll get a workable tone and go from there. Very pleased so far... tonewise, weightwise... and it won't look quite so silly as the Mark Bass when standing between two guitar half-stacks.

The good news is that it's too hardcore for my boxroom/practice space, so I get to keep my much-loved Orange Crush 50.

The bad news... it sounds so good with my Squier Jag SS that I may have to de-GAS myself. Very nearly pulled the trigger on a Black Friday Vintera Mustang.

IMG_0017.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, guys

Back to plan A on the GAS. Control myself and go along to a music shop and try some stuff. I think a Mustang is on the cards sometime... regret selling my CIJ Mustang years ago. I think it's better to get used to the amp first.

The new band. I've been with these guys before but they've got rid of the pain in the a*** keyboard player and got a new singer who's also a good guitarist. It's classic rock, but also some not-so-usual stuff... Jeff Healey, Joe Bonamassa, Tom Petty. I left them originally because they didn't do enough gigs, but that suits me now. It's relaxed, no egos, no ambition-mismatches... they also have a strict limit on only one fag break per rehearsal (I don't smoke).

So far so good.

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for the matching extension cab -in the classifieds, both together make for a killer rig. 

I find I have to back off the  bass a bit but I can always get a great sound. I did replace the horrible Fender logo with one of the older style blackface logos

I've already been looking for extension cabs... heh! heh!

It's on the GAS backburner at the moment. I had an extension cab for my previous Mark Bass amp, but found I didn't need it very often. But if I found the type of gigs we do need the rig... I'd get one.

I love the tolex covering and silver face look btw. I used to end up hoovering all the gig detritus off the Mark Bass woolly covering (I'm a bit weird that way).