Why become a member? ×

Anyone here have or used to have an Ampeg 810?

G-bitch

[quote name='peted' post='42176' date='Aug 6 2007, 09:08 PM']
Is this what you were talking about BFM? I'm going to make it my mission to make this rig in a store to see what it sounds like.[/quote]

Pete, why not get a second Hartke 212 and stack that instead? I think it would have the fuller sound in comparison to the Warwick cabs.

[quote name='dood' post='40526' date='Aug 2 2007, 05:02 PM']Ya know.. this is gonna sound wierd.. so I'll try to explain!

I LOVE the sound of a big 8x10 cab... There's nothing quite like the sound of a dirty SVT, P bass and Ampeg 8x10 cranking out the lows..

but I really cant seem to get on with Ampeg cabinets. They to me have a 'tone' of their own (which is a good thing) but to me (and my gear) always seem to colour the sound in a way that I don't want.

I used to have an SVT 2 Pro and the best sound I ever got out of it was on Hartke 4.5XLs.. a real giant killer. The Ampeg equivalent just left me wanting and desperate to get rid of the 'ampeg cab tone'. I now have an Epifani 6x10 and am very impressed with 'the lows'.

Interestingly, on the discussion of tone, I am looking forward to cranking up my new Pod with.. yes you've guess it, Ampeg models!!!

So, to sum up. Yes, they are great cabs.. and I would love to 'wear' the Ampeg name. I actually think there are better 8x10's out there. (or 6x or 4x) especially now Neo cones are more prevalent. for example, I used to own 2 Tech cabs, that were 24Kg each and rated at 1200W RMS a piece. Thats a 2400W 8x10 weighing half the weight, in essence. My epifani is..ummm 32Kg I think, 1500W RMS.

Just a few thoughts![/quote]

Agreed. Kinda like EMG pickups.......you get the sound,the sound is great,but It sounds like the next person with the same equipment.

There is better out there. I feel a 4x10 and a 1x15 have greater range,esp if you downtune manically.

[quote name='dood' post='43023' date='Aug 8 2007, 07:30 PM']Pete, why not get a second Hartke 212 and stack that instead? I think it would have the fuller sound in comparison to the Warwick cabs.[/quote]
I'd be there in a shot if my cab wasn't already 4 Ohms. Plus it wouldn't stack vertically too well as the top speaker is angled upwards and the top surface is smaller than the bottom. I think they've stopped making the bi-amp Hartke 2x350 Watt heads now.

I used to own a V4 with an 810. It's a great setup but it was felt like it was made of soild lead when you had it carry it up stairs at 4 in the morning.

I was playing at a festival a couple of weeks ago where one stage had an ampeg 810 with an SVT head and the other had an eden D410 XLT with an eden WT head.
The eden setup blew the ampeg setup away in all respects, (both were set close to flat eq). The eden cab had more bottom end and a more defined tone than the ampeg 810 rig (I was surprised by that) so I would reccomend you take your amp to a shop thats got an ampeg 810 and an eden D410 XLT or XST (even more bottom end on the XST) and compare them, you could save yourself a lot of backache, even more if you get a 210!

Edited by dub