Why become a member? ×

Bandless

Hobbayne

After 5 years the drummer and one guitarist has called it quits.

Will play our last gig next weekend and that will be it.

The singer and other guitarist have expressed the will to carry on with the band with replacements.

But I'm not sure. 😕

Edited by Hobbayne

what's the issue with the remaining band members, or have you just had enough?

I once quit a band (because I'd had enough of the lead guitarist) and the drummer chose to follow me out (for the same reason) but I'd done it on the basis that they were free to replace me and carry on.  I immediately got a reply from the rhythm guitarist and singer saying "well, that's the end of that then". 

I'm still not sure why they didn't want to find a new rhythm section, possibly a combination of having similar feelings about the lead guitarist, and possibly because it was me and the drummer who had originally formed the band and we were seen as the BLs

Edited by Monkey Steve

Well, The guitarist and drummer have moved away so its the traveling issue for them.

I suppose its the aggravation of finding new members and getting them up to speed for gigging.

I also think its the Roger Waters syndrome with me.  “spent force creatively"

The band has run its course.

I will wait and see what happens after our gig before I make my decision.

9 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

Well, The guitarist and drummer have moved away so its the traveling issue for them.

I suppose its the aggravation of finding new members and getting them up to speed for gigging.

I also think its the Roger Waters syndrome with me.  “spent force creatively"

The band has run its course.

I will wait and see what happens after our gig before I make my decision.

At the local bar band level replacing even. a single member in an established gigging band can be very challenging. In our case replacing a guitarist that was a founding member and with the band for 14 years.

We ran into a few guys that weren't big on gigging and guys that we auditioned that showed up unprepared.

It's tough and frustrating.

Blue

I'm currently bandless and love it :).

but I do understand the challenge.  The band I was in had a fantastic lead guitarist but he was forced to leave due to personal circumstances.  As a small local band we really struggled to replace him and the band drifted in a half dead state for a long time afterwards.  I eventually recruited a work colleague of mine to replace him, but that was a bit of a disaster too.  In the end I also had to leave due to personal circumstances and although not officially disbanded and they did actually find another good player I don't think they've done much since.

As said above sometimes it's nice to draw a line under something and venture out on a new project.