Why become a member? ×

Songs that start promisingly and then...oh dear

Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Absolutely no one else will agree with this, but the one that springs to my mind is The Only One's "Another girl, another planet"; fabulous intro going into Buzzcock-esque weedy vocals.

You may add 1 to your count of times you were terribly wrong. Now, the song's insufferable shït of course after a fabulous intro, but I do know someone who vehemently agrees with you. 😁

• Like 1

As well as Sweet Child of Mine, Paradise City has a cracking start then  Axl Rose has to go and spoil it all with his p1$$p00r excuse for a vocal

On the subject of the vocals ruining songs after great intros there's a myriad of Led Zep tunes which have cracking intros and then...meh...

Rock n Roll, Whole Lotta Love, In The  Evening, Ramble On, Tramped Under Foot, Gallows Pole, Immigrant Song, Communication Breakdown, When the Levee Breaks, Ramble On, Kashmir...

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Sad 1

The two that fit the criteria for me (maybe because I used to gig both in a rock covers band & the intros seemed to grab the audience’s attention initially) are;

Riverboat Song (Ocean Colour Scene) and Vegas 2 Times (Stereophonics)

Both have great intro riffs, then.....😀

I nominate, "Take me Out" by Franz Ferdinand. The first 45 seconds are really interesting, it feels like there's a good song to come, the drums are driving it forward and the lyrics are good. Suddenly, the song starts to slowly drop tempo and break down before collapsing into a turgid, awful song.

• Like 1

Hello Jeff by Stanley Clarke is one that comes to mind. The intro is really good and then when it settles into the main verse or whatever it would be called in an instrumental song it becomes really disappointing, then picks up at the end.

I also agree with Layla - great start, I even like most of the actual song but then it becomes painful to listen to, but then again :

6dcceb0c4b358e24376dac74f0cf5692.jpg

Edited by Delberthot

On 30/11/2019 at 13:29, BassTractor said:

You may add 1 to your count of times you were terribly wrong. Now, the song's insufferable shït of course after a fabulous intro, but I do know someone who vehemently agrees with you. 😁

Make that 2 someones :D

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Fightin' talk!

Just bein' honest guv! 9_9

My favourite song of all time has the opposite going on - rather naff intro (sub-Who power chording) going into sublime song:. Joy Division's "Love will tear us apart".  Doesn't fit the song IMHO.

On 01/12/2019 at 00:33, Woodinblack said:

I think there is a large parallel thread of 'groups who you hate the singer of' going on in this thread!

No, not really. It's about songs that have great intros that suggest there's a great song coming, but not so. It's just that in many cases it's that when (usually) poor vocals and melody kick in it all goes to pink torpedo. There's plenty of instrumentals I can think of across many genres that have great starts but the main tune if well, meh. Fr;instance in the classical world there's Finlandia by Sibelius. Cracking start but then it meanders

44 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Wait til you hear "The Moldau" by Smetana. 😉

Well, let's face it, the Vltava LITERALLY does meander! Both musically and geographically!

Been in my "Top 10 List Of Dullest Classical Pieces" since I first heard it in a secondary school music lesson.

• Like 1

'Life's been good' by Joe Walsh/The Eagles.  Brilliant intro but terrible voice quality.  The Eagles ought to have assigned the vocals to someone else in the band.

I disagree with the negative comments about SCOM.  This is and remains one of the all time great rock songs.  I am not keen on the guitar solo near the song ending though.  

The Stone Roses had a well known song that had a great intro but awful lyrics, both content wise and tonally.  I can't remember the song title......[Edit] it is 'Love Spreads'

Edited by Rocker
Finally remembered the song name!

4 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Well, let's face it, the Vltava LITERALLY does meander! Both musically and geographically!

Been in my "Top 10 List Of Dullest Classical Pieces" since I first heard it in a secondary school music lesson.

I hope you did assume that that was exactly why I used it as an example, and yes: top 10 dullest. Nice observation, and a system I will borrow from you if I may. 🙂
Just think of that theme: 5- 1 2 3 4 5 5 5 6 6 6 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 2 1 or similar and variations. Insufferable.

Now I think of it, it starts out well enough, and in that capacity even fits the thread a little bit: the opening with the two little streams seems promising...

...but the thread of course was about songs in our own realm, in which case nearly every goddemn synthpop song on the planet fits: it starts out with a nice enough synth intro, and then when they start singing... 
...where's the bass guitar? 😡
😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rocker said:

'Life's been good' by Joe Walsh/The Eagles.  Brilliant intro but terrible voice quality.  The Eagles ought to have assigned the vocals to someone else in the band.

To be fair, it is entirely Joe Walshes song, so I guess he gets to say who sings it.

4 hours ago, Rocker said:

I disagree with the negative comments about SCOM.  This is and remains one of the all time great rock songs.  I am not keen on the guitar solo near the song ending though.  

Axl Rose has a terrible weedy voice (regarless of the rest of his faults), so with a decent singer, they could have made the all time great rock songs, but his voice is just like very small nails on a blackboard and a let down at any point. Agreed that one isn't as bad as 'you could be mine' or 'welcome to the jungle'

20 hours ago, Rocker said:

The Stone Roses had a well known song that had a great intro but awful lyrics, both content wise and tonally.  I can't remember the song title......[Edit] it is 'Love Spreads'

Actually, there are quite a few SR tracks that start off fine and then it all goes to pink torpedo e.g. Waterfall,  She Bangs The Drums, I Wanna Be Adored and Fools Gold. Fools Gold isn't so much spoiled by the vocals and melody as the others are but it gets very repetitive and goes nowhere

This may be an unpopular choice, but I think the OP's concept is epitomised beautifully by The Human League's most famous hit, Don't You Want Me?

I'm treading lightly, because I understand the fans get very defensive. I've listened to people compare them favourably with such electronic innovators  as Kraftwerk and Gary Numan. And, to be fair, the intro to the track suggests something in that vein - a moody synth melody, which seems to be setting the tone for something dark and atmospheric...

...and then Phil Oakey starts singing, the music behind him lurches through a massive gear-change, and suddenly we're in naff '80s pop territory. By the time he's singing the titular line, "don't you want me?", I've very much made up my mind that no, I do not.