Why become a member? ×

Songs that start promisingly and then...oh dear

Barking Spiders

Mention of Stiltskin in the one hit wonders thread got me thinking about songs with great intros and then, usually when the vocal kicks in, it all goes rapidly downhill

That one aside another one that immediately comes to mind is this..

Great for the first 35 seconds and then the singing starts and the tempo drops 

So bring it on, with vids and the timing when the song goes t1ts up...

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Mention of Stiltskin in the one hit wonders thread got me thinking about songs with great intros and then, usually when the vocal kicks in, it all goes rapidly downhill

Wow. That's exactly the song that popped into my head, and was going to be my response, before I even opened the thread. Brilliant minds and all that. 

12 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Bloody hell, I had never heard the full song though I was familiar with the intro. It makes sense as the rest of it after the intro is flipin' crap! What were they thinking? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Bloody hell, I had never heard the full song though I was familiar with the intro. It makes sense as the rest of it after the intro is flipin' crap! What were they thinking? 

Yeah, but do you remember Jas Mann turning up on all the chat shows when it came out on the Levi’s add declaring himself the new BOWIE and the saviour of rock and pop music... cringe! Made an awful song even worse...

Controversial choice maybe but... This one for me... 

The song itself utterly dull. The only likeable bits are all of Norman Cook’s Big Beat loops and samples layered on top. It goes way downhill after the intro. Ever heard Cornershop playing the actual song sans Fatboy Slim embellishments? Yawn...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

To be fair, the "intro" was never part of the original song. The sped up version was used on an advert, which made the song famous, but pretty much no one had ever heard the original version. So they presumably made the best of the situation and cashed in by releasing the single with the sped up version as an into so people would recognise it. Who can blame them really. 

10 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

To be fair, the "intro" was never part of the original song. The sped up version was used on an advert, which made the song famous, but pretty much no one had ever heard the original version. So they presumably made the best of the situation and cashed in by releasing the single with the sped up version as an into so people would recognise it. Who can blame them really. 

So another case like Cornershop where the good bit is the contribution of the DJ remixer...

24 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Absolutely no one else will agree with this, but the one that springs to my mind is The Only One's "Another girl, another planet"; fabulous intro going into Buzzcock-esque weedy vocals.

I've always said that, to me, that's the most perfect pop song ever written. 

• Like 3