Why become a member? ×

SOLD - WAL inspired built by MPU in Finland
£1100
Brussels

claude

built by MPU in Finland. ......Top quality

Walnut/maple/mahogany body, maple/mahogany/pao ferro neck with dual action truss rod, 34"scale, Schaller hardware, 8-coil pickups in MM covers , tru oïl finish.

The pickups are cloned after the thread and info found on Pickup makers forum. Coill dimensions, wire, magnets, keeper bars etc. are very close to Wal. Pickups are also made by MPU

When I bought it she was equipped with a handmade  preamp  but I was not fully satisfied  , I replaced it wtih a Jonh East preamp SP2 . Vol , blend, bass, medium , treble , switch circuit breaker

The weight of the bass is less thet 4 kg , wil ship with a case . Pictures are made with a flash.

I ship anywhere, the bass is in Belgium. Buyer pays shipping.

No offers  please

Thank you

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 7

Nice looking bass.  Very neat workmanship.  True quality, especially at the price.

I'm guessing the sound is less Wal than the looks as it doesn't have the separate filter on each pickup. Still, someone could retrofit an East ACG eq-01 ( though it seems to have gone from John East's product list).

I have a couple of Wals already, so not for me ... But Glwts.

10 hours ago, NickA said:

Nice looking bass.  Very neat workmanship.  True quality, especially at the price.

I'm guessing the sound is less Wal than the looks as it doesn't have the separate filter on each pickup. Still, someone could retrofit an East ACG eq-01 ( though it seems to have gone from John East's product list).

I have the original preamp also , it is a filter preamp for each pickups with adjustable  resonance frequency and switchable boost . I will give it with the bass . .

• Like 2

Just pointed a bloke from the Wal facebook page at this.  He wants to buy a Wal and has a budget of $3400  .. given a choice between the genuine Wal Pro 1 (passive, single pickup) he can just afford ... and this - I think I'd go for the Wal Mk2 copy myself (or an ACG!).

Edited by NickA
'tis a Mk2 copy not a Mk1 (counted the frets)

• 2 weeks later...
On 29 November 2019 at 10:54, NickA said:

Passive Wals still sound like Wals, so its not just the circuit. 

On 13/12/2019 at 18:49, 4000 said:

Passive Wals still sound like Wals,

On 13/12/2019 at 18:49, 4000 said:

Oh sure, but having a separate filter on each pickup is a major thing for getting a "particular" Wal sound.  Do the passive Pro2s have two filters? I'm not sure.

Also, the Wal electronics over-drive in a very nice muzzy organic way if you dig in .. which as a hifi amp officionado I shouldn't like, but do.  By comparison, the acg-eq-01 sounds completely clean, but if you do overdrive it ( eg because the batteries are low ) it clips rather harshly, so still not the same.

Always a major debate amongst Wal owners as to what exactly makes them sound as they do! Everything, I guess.

I'll bet this MTD sounds great regardless.

On 15/12/2019 at 00:17, NickA said:

Oh sure, but having a separate filter on each pickup is a major thing for getting a "particular" Wal sound.  Do the passive Pro2s have two filters? I'm not sure.

Also, the Wal electronics over-drive in a very nice muzzy organic way if you dig in .. which as a hifi amp officionado I shouldn't like, but do.  By comparison, the acg-eq-01 sounds completely clean, but if you do overdrive it ( eg because the batteries are low ) it clips rather harshly, so still not the same.

Always a major debate amongst Wal owners as to what exactly makes them sound as they do! Everything, I guess.

I'll bet this MTD sounds great regardless.

I had a Pro IIE which still sounded very “Wal”. I actually preferred it to any of the many Customs I’ve played, bar maybe one. Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow plays passive Wals, and for my money he still sounds very “Wal”; in fact for me he’s the standard by which all fretted Wals are measured. 

I know what you mean about the electronics though, they are very organic-sounding, which is one of the things I like about them compared to many actives.

This is a really interesting bass. Shame I’m currently short of funds.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

More of Marko's work is sometimes mentioned on another forum in which people sometimes Talk Bass.

I'll never part with my MPU bass.
Sorry, had to share 😉

IMG_0533.jpg

A beauty ....whowww

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • MB1 locked this topic