Why become a member? ×

Spotify vs iTunes sound quality

BrunoBass

Does anyone know anything about the way that Spotify delivers music to your computer or device, for instance the format and how compressed it is? 

The reason I ask is that I’ve just released a song on Spotify and iTunes. The iTunes download (yes, I downloaded my own song - I might be the only one who does...) sounds great - really punchy, lively and full. I’m very happy with it. In comparison the Spotify stream sounds good too, although only slightly but noticeably inferior to the iTunes version. 

Both platforms used the same WAV file, which was professionally mastered. Does the fact the iTunes download is now a file on my device and therefore more direct than a stream coming over a WiFi connection make a difference? Surely being just zeroes and ones there shouldn’t be?

There are several comparisons online but with all streaming quality settings on max, there’s very little to choose - some reviewers said some songs sounded better on Spotify and others sounded better on iTunes.

I tried Tidal for a while and it sounded great but twice the price and as my Hifi amp has Spotify connect that just makes more sense - I also find Spotify’s algorithm recommends me music more accurately than the others. 

Apparently Spotify are bringing out a ‘lossless’ type service to compete with Tidal soon, too.  

• Like 1

Might need to check your settings in Spotify and set Streaming to "very high".

Also, Spotify quality seems to vary a bit depending which interface you play through.

For example...

Played through firestick Spotify app (which goes through optical cable, soundbar and sub) setup, sounds awful.

Played through my TVs native Spotify app, which goes through same optical cable, soundbar and sub, sounds miles better.

• Thanks 1