Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 800HD. Anyone using one?

dave_bass5

14 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Is that the BB800?  What don't you like about it?

Yes. Its really not the amp, its me, but i just dont get a satisfying tone with this set up. Its loud, very loud, very punchy, but i cant seem to get loud and round. I know i have loads of EQ on tap in the Helix, and at rehearsals/gig it sounds pretty good in the room, but on play back its thin, clear, even a bit hollow sounding.  Its not round and full like im used to having. I guess Bland is the word im looking for. I liek the EQ, and do understand it, but its the flatness of the amps output that i think im not gelling with.

I could put more work in, and im sure its in there somewhere, but i think for me, something that will colour the tone is more appropriate. I have a GK MB800 and MarkBass F1, which i have a feeling will work better, but the MB will be a bit pushed (the cab really does like a lot of power to really sound big) and the GK has a bit too much baked in tone (although i like it in moderation). Id happily use the GK though, but was just wondering what the Fender was like, as i see loads fo praise for the combos, but ive never played a Fender bass amp.

I know our own Tyler Spicer loves it, and his YT review sounds really good to me.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, la bam said:

BB800 round, try gain on 4 o'clock. Depth on 2 o'clock, contour on 3 o'clock. (That's o'clock position not number). The contour clockwise smooths everything out and the gain adds character and drive.

Thanks, tried loads of settings, some work really well, others dont. It's not that i cant get a usable tone, just that its not got a character/tone i like. I'm not gibing up on it just yet, but as i have other options already i may end up giving up on it but i really dont need 3 heads. 

I think the F112 is also a bit to blame, as thats quite flat and so not colouring my tone like I'm used to. That's not a complaint at all, just an observation. 

Sounds to me like you'd be better off with a higher powered version of the MarkBass style of amp. I'd say I feel like mine has a "round" sound and I just use the Poweramp side, straight into the effect return. 

In regards to the fender rumble amp. I haven't used that head but used some of the others bits of gear. And I must say it is very good gear, for the price point it comes in at, but it's quiet clearly gear at a price point. The cabs more than the amps though I will say. 

• Like 1

By some coincidence, I've just picked an 800 HD used. I have my HX stomp for most of my tone, but the Rumble does a very good job: the footswitchable drive is very useable (which is far from given in a bass amp) and the four band EQ is just what I need. 

I run mine through a Barefaced BB2 and I'm rather liking it!

• Like 1

Thanks, I have been looking at the MB stuff as well, The plan is to see how the EQ  on my F1 work first. Money if of course a concern and I'm not looking to push the boat out too far. 

Comparing my F1 to my GK i much prefer the GK, it just seems to have so much power in its tone, but the warmer MB tone may well work for me again. Ive had the F1 for a good few years (SA450 and LMII before that). 

1 minute ago, foxyFuze said:

By some coincidence, I've just picked an 800 HD used. I have my HX stomp for most of my tone, but the Rumble does a very good job: the footswitchable drive is very useable (which is far from given in a bass amp) and the four band EQ is just what I need. 

I run mine through a Barefaced BB2 and I'm rather liking it!

Thanks. Do you use Amp sims? My Helix HX doesnt have them and i know they can make a huge difference. Not looking to go back to using my Stomp, although i must admit i was happier with the tone before dropping it. 

No, just a drive when I want extra grit (using the amp's drive as my always on setting), and a fuzz block.  The global EQ settings are handy to have also.

I've used an amp block going straight into the power section and have been most impressed though.

You're welcome to try out if you're in Bristol!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

No, just a drive when I want extra grit (using the amp's drive as my always on setting), and a fuzz block.  The global EQ settings are handy to have also.

I've used an amp block going straight into the power section and have been most impressed though.

You're welcome to try out if you're in Bristol!

Cheers for the info and offer. Doubt  ill take you up on it but who knows. 

Yes, the Amp sims are pretty useful. Most of th past 17 years ive used a BDDI in to an amp, and thats how i use my Helix at the moment. I really should play with the EQ more. 

49 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@dave_bass5 if you do make it to bristol I’ll let you borrow our Sonic Spark which is what you may be missing......

Haha, now there's an offer......

Dont forget i still have a Q/strip, so i really do have all EQ options covered. 

Actually  ive gone off the Fender now, been looking in to the Genzler Magellan 800. More than i was looking to pay (if new), but more feature packed.